• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much of a difference in a stripped lower?

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
Guys Im looking to build another AR and have been out of the loop a while. When it comes to getting a stripped lower how much of a difference is there between manufactures? I am not worried about cosmetics but more concerned about precision of the machining, correct hole size and placement etc.

I see the ATI stripped receiver for $39 and others priced 5x more. Is there a real difference in the receivers or is the built quality more affected by the parts inside?

Thanks for the time, been crushing the search engine to update myself but did not find alot on receivers.

Re: How much of a difference in a stripped lower?

I think as long as you stick with a reputable company u should be okay. Just pick whatever logo you like on the magwell.

I've kinda' always wondered about this myself as well.
confused.gif
I imagine that in addition to the above noted difference, a couple of other things might be the quality of the heat treatment, as well as that of the anodizing, but... said processes aren't rocket science, so I don't figure that they should have prices congruent with aerospace parts.

I have built on lowers at both ends, for your extra money you get:

a name that may impress someone

some design/ feature improvements

better/ more selection of color/ finnish

some better/ tighter machining

but defiantly you get a declining return on the high end lowers

as usual the value is where the volume sales are - not where the big advertising/ marketing/ sponsoring budget is

the lowest end uppers usually require some file work/ fitting - they are not selling them for 70 $ if the market could bear 100 $

what really matters in an AR:

1 barrel
2 BCG
3 trigger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIGGLEE0351</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think as long as you stick with a reputable company u should be okay. Just pick whatever logo you like on the magwell. </div></div>

This^^. There are options that give some additional design feature or options, such as an ambidextrous lower or Noveske's Gen 2 FFL has a larger flared magwell. But unless you want/need the newest, greatest . . . just buy what suits your fancy.

There are lots of options under $135 and the better deals are $100 or less. Polymer options exist for even less, but some/many, myself included, see no reason to go there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When it comes to getting a stripped lower how much of a difference is there between manufactures?</div></div>There's in-spec and out of spec. Other than that, and the process used (forged, billet, etc.), the differences are cosmetic.

Thank you very much guys. I have run plenty of ARs but they were always issued and I was never allowed to modify them in any way. As long as they went bang and held an iron sight zero that was all that mattered.

Thanks for not beating a AR noobie up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When it comes to getting a stripped lower how much of a difference is there between manufactures?</div></div>There's in-spec and out of spec. Other than that, and the process used (forged, billet, etc.), the differences are cosmetic. </div></div>

I can't say I'm familiar with all of these methods of construction. So I'd surely appreciate it if someone could fill me in on what methods are used to make AR recievers, & if it's not too much trouble, what said methods are.

Thanks in Advance.

Forged is when molten metal is used in a mold, to give a rough product, and then finish work is done. This reduces waste and makes it much faster/easier to produce.

Billet is when a part is machined from a solid piece of material, a block or bar if you will. A HUGE portion of the material is turned into scrap.

Some cheap lowers will leave you with poor upper/lower fit, depending on the upper.

Then again, many high priced ones will as well.

I picked up my forged Mega lower for $125 and love it. It's a high quality lower, without the high price tag... I'm building a couple of them for my fiance and I.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: p951951951t</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some cheap lowers will leave you with poor upper/lower fit, depending on the upper.

Then again, many high priced ones will as well. </div></div>Fitted upper/lower sets are a tourist trap. It doesn't matter to accuracy if the upper and lower fit together nicely or not. In fact, sometimes it's better if they don't touch so that they don't gall. What is important is that all the holes in the lower are in the right places and are the right size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: p951951951t</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some cheap lowers will leave you with poor upper/lower fit, depending on the upper.

Then again, many high priced ones will as well. </div></div>Fitted upper/lower sets are a tourist trap. It doesn't matter to accuracy if the upper and lower fit together nicely or not. In fact, sometimes it's better if they don't touch so that they don't gall. What is important is that all the holes in the lower are in the right places and are the right size. </div></div>

Its all Mil-spec so everything "should" fit together. I don't know if thats true for all stuff, but mil-spec is all the same. I bought a forged upper and lower about 2 months apart and they fit just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: p951951951t</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some cheap lowers will leave you with poor upper/lower fit, depending on the upper.

Then again, many high priced ones will as well. </div></div>Fitted upper/lower sets are a tourist trap. It doesn't matter to accuracy if the upper and lower fit together nicely or not. In fact, sometimes it's better if they don't touch so that they don't gall. What is important is that all the holes in the lower are in the right places and are the right size. </div></div>

I didn't say anything about the accuracy. Still, I prefer guns with a tight fit. Never experienced any "galling".
To be honest, I do feel that having a tight upper/lower fit does help keep my trigger pull more consistent, but I can't prove that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forged is when molten metal is used in a mold, to give a rough product, and then finish work is done. This reduces waste and makes it much faster/easier to produce.

Billet is when a part is machined from a solid piece of material, a block or bar if you will. A HUGE portion of the material is turned into scrap. </div></div>

Got it a little mixed up there. You have 3 types of receivers: cast, forged and Billet. What is described by c_bass16 is a casting process where Molten aluminum is poured into a mold. You actually do not see a lot of these type of receivers out there. Most of what you see is Forged receivers:

Forging is a manufacturing process involving the shaping of metal using localized compressive forces. Forging is often classified according to the temperature at which it is performed: "cold", "warm", or "hot" forging. Forged parts can range in weight from less than a kilogram to 580 metric tons.[1][2] Forged parts usually require further processing to achieve a finished part.

And the final process is Billet. This leaves the most scrap since you start with a whole Block of aluminum. This process requires the most machine time, so it is the more expensive receiver. I do like the Billet because it offers more uniqueness and can have added features that standard forgings will not have....And having played machinist for a few years, I appreciate the work that goes into these. That being said. I own lowers done in all three processes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RockHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its all Mil-spec so everything "should" fit together.</div></div>Yes, it should.

That's why there's spec.; and not.

So now the next question is how has lowers in stock? Been searching all the usual suspects and cannot find much at all. I have seen the ATI poly lowers but that is about it.

If anyone has a Hide vendor they recommend for an AR build feel free to post it or send a pm. If it matters I am looking to build a 16" midlength or dissipator style.

you will pretty much get what you pay for, spend the money on recognized brand quality and it will be money well spent.

If you are concerned about a tight upper/lower fit, pick up a lower that has the set screw adjustment. I got my first one several months ago (Seekins) and it locks up rock solid. I am also a fan of the integrated trigger guards. Ambi controls are something that may be important to you as well. All the bells and whistles come at a higher premium though. It's up to you to decide what you need/are willing to pay for...

All lowers are going to do the same thing for you. Billet gives you more design freedom as far as ambi controls and looks, but thats it. We are just starting to make some standard forged lowers. They will be 99-109, not sure yet..But they are coming out very nice. Same tolerances we use on our billet stuff for hole location, size and upper lug interface. We probe every one inside the machine so they are very consistent. The barrel, trigger, bullet and trigger squeezer are the important parts of a AR.

Billet does look cool and its not like its tons of money for the difference, 150$ doesnt buy much these days..

I have a "cheap" although it wasn't cheap when I bought it lower. I looked at the fit, finish and cosmetics. After looking it over I decided to buy because it looked superb and fit my upper well. I have see some shotty machining done on some but this wasn't one of them. I installed my lpk stock and others and was please with it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another btw (kaiser defense). I have the whole rifle now kryloned so... just look at them before you buy if you can, and see what logo you like? They will all be pretty good

I've had allegedly "mil-spec" lowers that were a pain to assemble and certain aftermarket parts were compatible. Stick to forged lowers from reputable companies if you want it to be reliable. Also, don't cheap out on the parts kit. Billet lowers have given me the most trouble out of the few dozen I've assembled and fired.