• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much of the neck to size??

sniper7mm

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2007
Huntingtown, MD
When using bushing style neck size dies how much of the neck are you all sizing, all of it just to the shoulder? Or just a portion of the neck?

Re: How much of the neck to size??

It's your choice as to how far down you want to run it. There is a theory that
leaving a portion unsized near the shoulder helps center the case in the chamber.
I prefer to size past the end of my bullet base. So some end up all the way and
some of the lighter bullets are just past 1 1/2 times the bore dia.

It also depends on what the ammo is used for, and how much neck tension you are using. For example, I wouldn't neck size less than half the neck with .001-.002 neck tension for hunting or tactical matches. It's too light, and the bullet can shift on you. If you're bench shooting only, then it should be alright.
I neck size almost all the way to the shoulder, and run .002 in my 260, and .002-.004 (depending on which bullet) in my 300 WM.

Thanks for the info. The ammo will be for any situation. I think I will size it just short of the shoulder and not worry about it.