• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much optic is too mich for .22?

Vengeful1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2020
Texas
What kinds of glass vs types of ahooting discipline are aome of yall shooting?

Currently have a 455 in an MPA chassis and a Leupold Mark 8 3.5-26-56. Target and prs type is my intent for this gun.

Reactions: Ldecker81
I have an Athlon Midas Tac and an Athlon Cronus on CZ’s. I got open box deals on both of them through the folks here. That’s as high as I go. Not because 22’s aren’t worthy of more, but because that’s all I’m willing to spend.
If I had more time to shoot I might spend a little more.

You gotta see it before you can hit it. Go as high as you can but some scopes lose their sharpness at higher magnification.

I've got an Athlon Cronus Gen2 BTR 4.5-29x56 sitting on the shelf waiting for my Vudoo in MPA BA chassis to show up.

I also have a Ruger American Rimfire Target (stainless heavy barrel, thumbhole) with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50.

No such thing as "too much glass", it's just a matter of what you're willing to spend.

That's a good question and would depends on the shooting discipline.

I shoot my CZ457 as a trainer. It is NOT on benchrest "rails", just bipod and rear bag. So, with that said there is a point of diminishing returns where using too much magnification the reticle is never steady, which leads me to chasing - your mileage may vary.

I'm talking about magnification where you can clearly see <1/8 MOA motion. It's hard to see a steady reticle with bipod and rear bag at that level while trying to stay inside 1/4 MOA at 100 yards....

For say 100 yards I find that 16X to 20X is a good range. I can go to 25X on my present scope but never use it at 100 yards.

Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Vengeful1
Fit the optics to your rimfire needs.
Squirrel rifle has a 2 moa red dot on it. Does fine out to 25 yards.
My target pistol has a Burris EER AO to entertain me out to 200 yards
My varminter has a 32x mil dot on it for field work out to 250 yards.
The Sightron SIII is for 200 yard bench work.

Use the optic to fit the distance.

Fit the optics to your rimfire needs.
Squirrel rifle has a 2 moa red dot on it. Does fine out to 25 yards.
My target pistol has a Burris EER AO to entertain me out to 200 yards
My varminter has a 32x mil dot on it for field work out to 250 yards.
The Sightron SIII is for 200 yard bench work.

Use the optic to fit the distance.
^^^This^^^

No such thing as too much optic for any gun. As stated above, use the appropriate optic for your needs and get the absolute best optic you can afford. There's some very good 'value' optics out there as well. Most good optics resell quickly and for most of what you paid anyway. Buy those.

Reactions: littlepod
If PRS type shooting a 5-25 (or similar) that parallax down to 25y with matching turrets and a good reticle will set you up for success

I don't typically leave 16x no matter if the targets at 25y or 400y but its nice to be in the middle of the mag range

Reactions: Vengeful1 and lash
Vortex Razor G2 on My Vudoo. Get the best that your budget will allow.
03F20174-8FDE-4D86-9104-7A57B924E11E.jpeg

If PRS shooting is your intent I would choose something that will parallax down to 25 yards or lower. Magnification lowest I ever use is 8, average at 12-16, and I zoom in to 20-21ish when doing 1/4" KYLs.
How often do you see PRS stages under 50y? Wondering if it is different around the country. In Ohio and Pennsylvania out of the 12 matches at 4 different ranges I have not had any 25y stages.

Turret repeatability is just as important as power and clarity if not more so in a rimfire scope. You can easily out glass the capability of the cartridge in this case. If your PRS or ELR shooting you have to have accurate turrets or you'll be out gunned every time in rapid target transition .

How often do you see PRS stages under 50y? Wondering if it is different around the country. In Ohio and Pennsylvania out of the 12 matches at 4 different ranges I have not had any 25y stages.
Not sure about PRS22, but NRL22 regularly has stages with at least one 1/4”target at 25 yards.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I run a 6-24 MidasTAC on my CZ457. The 24x is nice for really getting on a 1/2 paster at 50 yards and flinging them out to 200 yards. When I am hunting squirrels I stay between 6x and 8x because I want the light gathering and FOV offered at the lower powers. A gray on side of a tree blends in damn well!

P.S. There were 2 factors that made the Midas a slam dunk for me. 10 yard minimum parallax and between it and the CZ I chose I am $49.00 under the limit for PRS Rimfire production class per MSRP.

Last edited:
I 110% agree with spending as much as you can afford on glass, but some scopes will not focus very well inside 20 yards, my Gen 2 Razor is one of them, is it just my scope I don't know, so choose wisely

I have a CZ 457 MTR that I shoot in ARA factory class bench rest. I'm using a Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60x52 scope, with the magnification set at 50x. It suits my needs just fine.

We had a 21 and 25 yard stage at Nationals, both had KYLs. So while it's not popular I wouldn't want to drop points on any stage, given a single shot drop was worth 5-6 positions. It isn't the end of the world by any means, but if you're going to buy today then why not buy something that covers it all.

I would take something that can fluidly parallax well from 25-200 yards over something that has crystal clear optics that can cut through mirage at 600y.

Most RFBR guys use 36x or more at 50yds, so it depends on what "game" you're going to play.

We had a 21 and 25 yard stage at Nationals, both had KYLs. So while it's not popular I wouldn't want to drop points on any stage, given a single shot drop was worth 5-6 positions. It isn't the end of the world by any means, but if you're going to buy today then why not buy something that covers it all.

I would take something that can fluidly parallax well from 25-200 yards over something that has crystal clear optics that can cut through mirage at 600y.
This was NRL22 right? It will be interesting to see what they have at the PRS22 nationals this year. I'm going to continue hoping that PRS stays away from the under 50y stages. If not then square up zoom out and hope for the best.

Target /bench non prs I have a March 10-60 high master.

its like cheating compared to a max power “near 30x”.

100 yards on 50x or so I can segment a previous 22hole. And use that as the aiming point and just dial off for a new POI

vudoo with center x
50 yard kyl at 100
Bipod and crappy squeeze bag that I don’t use anymore

Son and daughter actually get bored and only shoot at the “baby” which is 3/8” rod with a 3/8” post.

In my limited experience get what you want. I run a Vortex Crossfire 4-12 with AO for 25, 50 and on the rare occasion 100 yards. Every range trip someone comes over to let me know I have the wrong scope or to much scope on my gun. When I ask them what they would run most of them tell me barska, Bushnell, or Simmons and I smile and thank them for their advice. If I had the money I would run a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16. Sportsman's outdoor superstore has a MIL/ LE discount for Vortex and they can be had for like $269.99

Pictured are the reducing and increasing eyepieces for the Unertl.
Very few folks seem to know of these. I have the only two sets I have ever seen. I’m sure there are more out there of course.
A8008ACE-9D7D-4588-9F1E-5EBC04CD9F50.jpeg

Reactions: lash

Currently have a 455 in an MPA chassis and a Leupold Mark 8 3.5-26-56. Target and prs type is my intent for this gun.
I have a Tasco 2-7x32 w/AO on my little Remington 581. It just 'feels right'. My favorite, though, especially on a heavy-barrelled .22, is a good 6-18x40 w/AO.

I dont (yet!) shoot long range (over 125 yards) .22 LR, so my rifles have no more than 3-9x. But in order to get better ammo for them, I first install either a Burris 4.5-14x, Burris Veracity 3-15x, or Bushnell 6-24x to test and find the best brand of ammo for each. Then I revert to the Burris 3-9 Droptine which I like a lot. It looks and balances well on my CZs and old Remingtons. My Remington 521-T I still only use the peep which on a good day will cluster in 1/2-5/8” at 50 yards. My old Marlin 39 still has a Lyman Foolproof as well. And my little Ruger 10/22 has a red dot (Fastfire III…my running rabbit gun.

So much depends on purpose and your own ideas of the appropriate sight system. Best of luck finding ”your” perfect system.

Maybe the real question is ... how many scopes actually have functional parallax down to 25 m/yds?
Quite a few now. The past few years have really opened up this arena of scopes. Everything from some lower end scopes like Athlon and Vortex Crossfire/Diamondback, to the very high end scopes. There’re something in every price point now.

Reactions: GTI
I bought a Virtex 4x18x50 for my suped up 10-22 and an Athlon 4x25x50 for my RPR . There is no doubt or question I like the Athlon and it's higher magnification better . Go big

Before this, I was running the K525i on the V-22 for over a year (K525i moved to 6mm Creedmoor).

I really want the Kahles DLR, but I really dislike the SKMR4 reticle. Nothing I don't like with my ZCO except I think ergos of having a parallax on top would be nicer for quick parallax changes on the clock and not having to let go of my support hand. Cycle bolt with right hand, change parallax at the same time.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope

I'm using a razor 27 power on NRL. And a Nightforse 35 power on benchrest

I have a Mueller 40x56

I really want the Kahles DLR, but I really dislike the SKMR4 reticle. Nothing I don't like with my ZCO except I think ergos of having a parallax on top would be nicer for quick parallax changes on the clock and not having to let go of my support hand. Cycle bolt with right hand, change parallax at the same time.
I reach over with my strong hand. It's weird at first but I adjusted and don't know how I didn't do it before. I'd like to get the DLR w/ left side windage.

How do you feel about the AMR?

kahles-amr-reticle.png