• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

How much powder

Kinsman

Slacker
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2006
Dallas, Georgia
Is the max amount of powder one may have set by state or fed gov?
What is the max?
I'm sure I don't have enough, but would like to know how much more I can have....

Re: How much powder

Below is listed the synopsis of the National Fire Protection Association powder storage and transportation guidelines. These guidelines are self-explanatory, and should be followed closely, not only for compliance with the law, but to enhance the safety we enjoy pursuing our sport.

13-3 SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
13-3.1 Quantities of smokeless propellants not exceeding 25 lb (11.3 kg), in shipping containers approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation, shall be permitted to be transported in a private vehicle.

13-3.2 Quantities of smokeless propellants exceeding 25 lb (11.3 kg) but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), transported in a private vehicle, shall be transported in a portable magazine having wood walls of at least 1 in. (25.4 mm) nominal thickness.

13-3.3 Transportation of more than 50 lb (22.7 kg) of smokeless propellants in a private vehicle shall be prohibited.

13-3.4 Commercial shipments of smokeless powder for small arms which has been classed in Division 1.3 shall be permitted to be reclassed as Division 4.1 Flammable Solid for transportation purposes for shipment by motor vehicle, rail car, vessel, or cargo-only aircraft, subject to the conditions stated in the U.S. Department of Transportation "Hazardous Materials Regulations," 49 CFR 173.171.

13-3.5 Commercial shipments of smokeless propellants exceeding 100 lb (45.4 kg) or not packaged in accordance with the regulations cited in 13-3.4 shall be transported in accordance with the U.S. Department of Transportation regulations for Class B propellant explosives.

13-3.6 Smokeless propellants shall be stored in shipping containers specified by U.S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations.

13-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) shall be permitted to be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), shall be permitted to be stored in residences where kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least 1 in. (25.4 mm) nominal thickness.

13-3.8 Not more than 50 lb (22.7 kg) of smokeless propellants, in containers of 1 lb (0.45 kg) maximum capacity, shall be displayed in commercial establishments.

13-3.9 Commercial stocks of smokeless propellants shall be stored as follows:

(1) Quantities exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), but not exceeding 100 lb (45.4 kg), shall be stored in portable wooden boxes having walls of at least 1 in. (25.4 mm) thickness.

(2) Quantities exceeding 100 lb (45.4 kg), but not exceeding 800 lb (363 kg), shall be stored in nonportable storage cabinets having walls of at least 1 in (25.4 mm) thickness. Not more than 400 lb (181 kg) shall be permitted to be stored in any one cabinet, and cabinets shall be separated by a distance of at least 25 ft (7.63 m) or by a fire partition having a fire resistance of at least 1 hour.

(3) Quantities exceeding 800 lb (363 kg), but not exceeding 5,000 lb (2268 kg), shall be permitted to be stored in a building, provided the following requirements are met:

(a). The warehouse or storage room shall not be accessible to unauthorized personnel.

(b). Smokeless propellant shall be stored in nonportable storage cabinets having wood walls at least 1 in. (25.4 mm) thickness and having shelves with no more than 3 ft. (0.92 m) of separation between shelves.

(c). No more than 400 lb. (181 kg) shall be stored in any one cabinet..

(d). Cabinets shall be located against the walls of the storage room or warehouse with at least 40 ft (12.2 m) between cabinets.

(e). The separation between cabinets shall be permitted to be reduced to 20 ft (6.1 m) where barricades twice the height of the cabinets are attached to the wall, midway between each cabinet. The barricades shall extend at least 10 ft. (3 m) outward, shall be firmly attached to the wall, and shall be constructed of 1/4 in. (6.4 mm) boiler plate, 2 in. (51 mm) thick wood, brick, or concrete block.

(f). Smokeless propellant shall be separated from materials classified by the U.S. Department of Transportation as flammable liquids, flammable solids, and oxidizing materials by a distance of 25 ft. (7.63 m) or by a fire partition having a fire resistance of at least 1 hour.

(g). The building shall be protected by an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with NFPA 13, Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems.

(4) Smokeless propellants not stored in accordance with 13.3.9 (1), (2), and (3) shall be stored in a Type 4 magazine constructed and located in accordance with Chapter 8.

Reprinted from NFPA495-85, Standard for the Manufacture, Transportation, Storage and Use of Explosive Materials, © 2001, National Fire Protection Association, Quincy , MA 02269 . This reprinted material is not the complete and official position of the NFPA on the referenced subject, which is represented by the Standard in its entirety.</div></div>

For a single location..., yes...

Interesting, though; I wonder what constitutes separate premises.

For instance, does a separate garage constitute another one?

Good point, Greg. I don't know how the NFPA views it, but in my past life storage facilities had a minimum seperation distance depending on what and how much was stored. Small arms propellent is really pretty insignificant, relatively speaking. As you certainly know, primers are the biggest danger. Primer storage is more restricted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">11-5.3 No more than 25,000 small arms primers may be transported in a private vehicle.

11-5.4 No more than 10,000 small arms primers may be stored in residences.

11-5.5 No more than 10,000 small arms primers may be displayed in commercial establishments.

11-5.6 Commercial stocks of small arms primers shall be stored as follows:

(a) Quantities not exceeding 750,000 may be stored in a building if not more than 100,000 are stored in any one pile and piles are at least 15 ft (4.6 m) apart.

(b) Quantities exceeding 750,000 may be stored in a building if the following conditions are met:

1. The warehouse or storage room shall not be accessible to unauthorized personnel.

2. Primers shall be stored in cabinets. No more than 200,000 primers shall be stored in any one cabinet.

3. Shelves in cabinets shall have vertical separation of at least 2 ft (0.6 m).

4. Cabinets shall be located against walls of the warehouse or storage room with at least 40 ft (12.2 m) between cabinets.

5. Separation between cabinets may be reduced to 20 ft (6.1 m) if barricades twice the height of the cabinets are attached to the wall, midway between each cabinet. The barricades shall extend at least 10 ft (3 m) outward, shall be firmly attached to the wall, and shall be constructed of 1/4 in. (6.4 mm) boiler plate, 2 in. (51 mm) thick wood, brick or concrete block.

6. Primers shall be separated from materials classified by the US Department of Transportation as flammable liquids, flammable solids, and oxidizing materials by a distance of 25 ft (7.63 m) or by a fire partition having a fire resistance of at least 1 hour.
</div></div>

Wow, no more than 10k primers in a residence? I'm under that, but that would be very easy to go over.

Nuts!!! When I get down to 1000 primers left, I generally order in lots of 5000. Between small rifle, large rifle and magnum primers, I'm over my limit. Guess I'll have to shoot more to become compliant.
myerfire

WTH is the NFPA ? Even better WHO is the NFPA ? Will it make any difference if 10K in primers go off or if its 15K ? Sounds like someone (?) is trying to make life difficult. When I have 10K or so in ammo cans, in a locker, then it is going to take some trouble for it to mess with someone else. Now then by reading this I'm not in compliance because I have XX # of cans with primers. Oh well, nothing new there.Not PC or SC. Deal with it.

I never have more than one brick of any type of primers, and I don't load for pistols.

I also only load ammo within a month, often within two weeks, of its expected use.

My ammo/components stock remains small because my most frequent shooting, and greatest volume of shooting, is intended to be limited to rimfire. I save my centerfire shootig for hunting and matches, with occasional load development and batch confirmation shooting in limited volume. For me, bore life is the prized commodity/component.

Greg

13-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) shall be permitted to be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), shall be permitted to be stored in residences where kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least 1 in. (25.4 mm) nominal thickness.

11-5.4 No more than 10,000 small arms primers may be stored in residences.

OOPS!!!

For what its worth: This is a public forum, things posted here are admissible in court, and we might not have the friendliest DOJ right now. Its just a suggestion, but if you are in violation of the law, its probably best not to say so.

For me, this is not a question of legalities, but rather, of home safety. Hoarding is not something I favor. That's what gets folks into troubles of many kinds, and those troubles reflect on the rest of us.

Greg

I don't have anywhere near the limit, so I guess that I need to buy some more.
If I can find it locally.

I just looked up about the NFPA. It's a non-profit, but not a government department. However, it sounds like many localities use their codes as laws.