• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes How much scope clearance is necessary above scope base?

Deputy D.A.

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2014
New Mexico
I mounted my scope last night and found even with the extra low TSP rings I have more space between the bell and barrel than I would prefer. However, if I position the scope where it fits me best for eye relief, the angled portion of the tube between the main tube body and bell is very close to the scope base. Generally speaking I can fit about 2-3 business cards (ordinary card stock, or approximately the thickness of a penny) between the scope and base. Will that cause damage when fired repeatedly or is this small space adequate? I can move the scope forward and create more gap, but the eye relief would not be quite as good.

Thanks.

so long as nothing is touching and everything is torqued down you shouldn't have any problems with damage or accuracy.

As long as there is room you should be fine and that's plenty of room. Proper eye relief is more important. If it worries you alot then you can always take the base off and either take off a slot on the base or just grind down the area to give more room.