• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much should I budget for learning/practicing/shooting PRS? [long]

richthe1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
Currently I have $1800/yr (or $150/month) budgeted. Is my current budget realistic? I could spend $3600/yr (or $300/month) but that would be really pushing it for me, and I don't want to spend excess if I will get 80% of the effectiveness out of $1800/yr vs $3600/yr.

With the information below, could you help me determine the most effective route to take? I have listed: (1) Current Gear, (2) Potential Monthly Costs, (3) Potential One Time Purchases, (4) Example Budgets (examples of purchases I am considering).

(1) Current Gear:
-Savage 10 FCP-K 308 (Burris XTR II 4-20 SCR Mil)
-Savage 12 FV 223 SWFA 10x (Mil-dot MIL/MOA)
-Ruger 10/22 w/tech sights and sling (“Liberty Training Rifle” for Project Appleseed)
-Harris HBRM-S w/ KMW Pod Loc
-Sig Kilo 2200 LRH
-Magnetospeed Sporter
-Tab Gear Small Rear Bag
-Wiebad Mini Fortune Cookie

(2) POTENTIAL MONTHLY COSTS
-PRS Match (Match Fee: $40, Ammo: $100)=$140
-PRS Style Range Membership ($600/yr)=$50 ***Note: I could also pay $34 to a non-PRS range per visit instead of PRS style range membership

-NRL22 Match (Match Fee: $20, Ammo: $10, Travel (farther away): $60)=$90
-Ammo: (Question: How many rounds do you shoot per month?)=$300 (estimate)

(3) POTENTIAL ONE TIME PURCHASES
Dry Fire:

-Mantis X=$160
-LaserLyte Training Cartridge=$75
Training:
-K&M Comprehensive Precision Rifle Course: $2145
-Jake Vibbert's PRS Online Training: $70
-Sniper’s Hide Online Training=$15/month
-The local PRS club recommends a local guy for training= $700/day
Equipment:
-PRS 22 Trainer Rifle (CZ455 or similar)=$500
-5000rd Case of 22 Ammo (CCI SV or similar)=$250
-Chassis for Savage Rifles (MPA BA Comp Chassis would fit top bolt release Savage 12FV and bottom bolt 10FCP-K)=$885
-AICS MAGS (2 for 223, 2 for 308)=$160

(4) EXAMPLE BUDGETS (I am considering each of these. Dollar Amounts are from above (1), (2), and (3))

(A) Practice with 22LR PRS Trainer, Shoot 3 Club Matches
-PRS Range Membership=$600
-CZ 455 (w/ scope I already own)=$500
-5000rds CCI SV=$250
-3 Club PRS Matches (3x$140)=$420
Total=$1770

(B) Shoot 6 Club Matches, 5 Trips to Range for Practice with Ammo, Dry Fire with Training Equipment, Online Training
-6 Club PRS Matches (6x$140)=$840
-5 Trips to Range ($34x12)=$170
-200rds of 308 175gr FGMM for practice=$200
-900rds of 223 75gr Hornady Steel Match for practice=$342
-Mantis X=$160
-Jake Vibbert's Online PRS Training= $70
Total=$1857

(C) Shoot Every PRS Club Match, Practice with 308 and 223
-12 Club PRS Matches (12x$140)=$1680
-400rds of 308 175gr FGMM for practice=$400
-2000rds of 223 75gr Hornady Steel Match for practice=$760
Total=$3440

(D) Practice with Vudoo 22LR PRS Trainer, Shoot 3 Club Matches
-Vudoo V-22 Barreled Action (w/ scope I already own)=$1770
-KRG Bravo=$350
-Triggertech Primary=$140
-5000rds Prime Subsonic=$350
-3 Club PRS Matches (3x$140)=$420
Total=$3630

If you made it this far I'm impressed! And I'd appreciate any additional input - maybe add something I didn't think of, or suggest I leave something off, etc. Thanks for the input!

One thing you don't mention - what is your goal? What are your priorities?

but, also, the value you get is very subjective and up to the individual. Going to be a bit hard for someone to say if its worth it to you personally to spend $3600 vs $1800.

One thing you don't mention - what is your goal? What are your priorities?

but, also, the value you get is very subjective and up to the individual. Going to be a bit hard for someone to say if its worth it to you personally to spend $3600 vs $1800.
Thanks for the response!

Goal: Learn the fundamentals of long range shooting - I just enjoy doing it. Personal improvement at PRS is enough for me, but I’d love to train enough to be competitive in my local Club PRS matches.

You’re right, it’s very subjective (hopefully not too much so that it’s not useful!). I just enjoy getting different perspectives before I make a decision. I was leaning towards Option (A), but would love to hear others’ opinions before just going for it.

Dry firing and rimfire practice are great ways to get a lot of trigger time for cheap and develop fundamentals like trigger control and learn how to solid positions from barricades. I would always include that in the plan especially with a tight budget. Outside of that you also need to learn your match rifle and ballistics app / kestrel. Spend time on the range learning how to give it good inputs and verify the dope it is giving you. If you have the wrong dope it will get frustrating quickly.

I would also skip on the 223 and focus on one caliber outside of the 22lr. Between dry firing, rimfire, and a 1000 rounds of 308 for a season you should have plenty to keep you busy.

Dry firing and rimfire practice are great ways to get a lot of trigger time for cheap and develop fundamentals like trigger control and learn how to solid positions from barricades. I would always include that in the plan especially with a tight budget. Outside of that you also need to learn your match rifle and ballistics app / kestrel. Spend time on the range learning how to give it good inputs and verify the dope it is giving you. If you have the wrong dope it will get frustrating quickly.

I would also skip on the 223 and focus on one caliber outside of the 22lr. Between dry firing, rimfire, and a 1000 rounds of 308 for a season you should have plenty to keep you busy.
Yeah, 22lr would kind of be dry fire with actual feedback. 223 is cheaper than 308, but I also don’t want to get a more familiar with it and then struggle with 308 during matches. I’ve heard it’s best to choose a caliber, stick with it, and learn it inside and out - so I’ll look at skipping the 223. Thanks for the input!

So the fact that you are going into this with the goal of training and actually being competitive tells me that you take this relatively serious. If that’s the case, budget ALL your money since the next steps within a year are a new match rifle and two day matches and a ton of other toys. ?

All joking aside, I like the simple approach for now. Train with 22LR to keep costs down, CZ455 with a decent trigger, dry fire your 308 as much as possible to keep it familiar and to work positional practice. Jakes online course is good, not sure if I would jump all in with high end training classes if budget is tight. Don’t know about the laser dry firing tools, I think you can get by just fine with dry fire practice on 1moa or smaller targets from barricade positions watching the reticle and follow through after the break in the scope.

Shoot all the matches, that’s the best way to get better. Live fire as much as possible, 2 times a week or more if you can. Dry fire every day.

After a year if you’re placing in the top 20% with your 308 and still wanting to pursue it further, that’s a good time to think about upgrading the match rifle.

(3) POTENTIAL ONE TIME PURCHASES
Dry Fire:

-Mantis X=$160
Don't waste your money on those. All that stuff does is take focus away from learning to see where the reticle was when the shot broke, which is the fundamental element of calling your shots.

Being able to call your shots from watching your reticle gives you the ability to know whether you hit or missed without waiting for target feedback. Great way to cut time off your transitions from one target to the next.

So the fact that you are going into this with the goal of training and actually being competitive tells me that you take this relatively serious. If that’s the case, budget ALL your money since the next steps within a year are a new match rifle and two day matches and a ton of other toys. ?

All joking aside, I like the simple approach for now. Train with 22LR to keep costs down, CZ455 with a decent trigger, dry fire your 308 as much as possible to keep it familiar and to work positional practice. Jakes online course is good, not sure if I would jump all in with high end training classes if budget is tight. Don’t know about the laser dry firing tools, I think you can get by just fine with dry fire practice on 1moa or smaller targets from barricade positions watching the reticle and follow through after the break in the scope.

Shoot all the matches, that’s the best way to get better. Live fire as much as possible, 2 times a week or more if you can. Dry fire every day.

After a year if you’re placing in the top 20% with your 308 and still wanting to pursue it further, that’s a good time to think about upgrading the match rifle.
Thanks for the response! Nice to get some reassurance on going for the 22 Trainer route. ~$300 for 5k rounds will allow me to get out there and shoot more. Top 20% is a good goal to shoot for. Appreciate the concrete advice. Thanks!
Don't waste your money on those. All that stuff does is take focus away from learning to see where the reticle was when the shot broke, which is the fundamental element of calling your shots.

Being able to call your shots from watching your reticle gives you the ability to know whether you hit or missed without waiting for target feedback. Great way to cut time off your transitions from one target to the next.

I didn’t know much about those devices and they seemed cool from the outside, so I appreciate the feedback. Prone is easy, but it’s hard to see where my reticle is when the shot breaks when shooting off barricades because of my instability, but i’m working on it.

I see you mention a budget...

8631A7D9-30DD-4D24-A734-6407C81B60F5.gif

Or spend the money you were going to spend on the .22 trainer on a reloading setup & just reload & shoot your main rifle more.

Prone is easy, but it’s hard to see where my reticle is when the shot breaks when shooting off barricades because of my instability, but i’m working on it.

From this point forward you are hereby forbidden from dry firing prone, and from shooting live rounds prone unless you are doing load development or have more than 6 mils of elevation dialed on the scope. ?

If you're top 20% with a 308, you done won the tactical division at almost any major match!

Reactions: Sheldon N
Honestly, I probably benefited most from attending a Jim See clinic. I would do a PRS Clinic and take some formal training (like SH) before I spent any money or made training decisions based on comments on the internet.

Reactions: 308pirate
Honestly, I probably benefited most from attending a Jim See clinic. I would do a PRS Clinic and take some formal training (like SH) before I spent any money or made training decisions based on comments on the internet.

Can I get a HELL YEAH?