• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much torque to apply to the scope mount nut

ralfabco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2009
Houston, Texas
ERA-TAC does not recommend an amount of torque to apply to the nuts. The scope I have, is a 5-25x56 Schmidt and Bender illuminated PM II. How much torque do you apply to the side nut when mounting the 34mm ERA-TAC mount, to the rifle ? What about applying torque to the screws when locking the rings ?

Last edited:
10-12 Nms is about 88-106 inch pounds. That's sounds high, but is really only about 8 foot pounds on the high side. Not that much for a mount to rail torque in my opinion. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

When torquing a larger diameter bolt, 80-90 inch pounds is not that much. If we were talking screw caps to hold the scope in, I'd agree that it's too much, but you are using jut two bolts to torque a mount to a rail.

First off, look at the design of the mount. It is being compressed onto the rail. Secondly, the mount is a cantilever design and is expected to securely hold a 2-3 pound scope in place against recoil.

For big nuts on the side like that I have yet to have anything fail at 45. For the ring caps 15 has always served well.

Thanks for the comments. FYI - I have a plain mount with cross bolts. It does not have an adjustable MOA option. No instruction sheet was included inside of the box which recommended a torque solution. I imported the mount directly from ERA-TAC.