• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much would you pay for one of these???

groper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2008
australia
If you could buy a LRF in either a binocular or monocular, that would do all this;

1. Range to 2000yds in broad daylight.
2. Measure barometric pressure, humidity, temp, windspeed, inclination and azimuth.
3. Connect to a computer via USB so you could manipulate the inbuilt ballistic software to exactly fit your rifles external ballistics in the same way loadbase, exbal, JBM etc does.
4. Store upto 10 user selectable and manipulative ballistic profiles to suit 10 different rifles.
5. Point the device at your target and display an elevation and windage correction or any individual pieces of data that you require accurate for your rifle and load.
6. Effective means you have a handheld complete firing solutions device, no other gear required.
7. Had comparable glass to swarovski, leica or ziess in a waterproof, shockproof chassis.

How much would you pay to upgrade to one of these?

Re: How much would you pay for one of these???

It would have to have good enough optics to replace my binos, be ruggedized so that a light drop doesn't kill it and it has to at least be able to take a swim across a creek.

I checked $900-1200 because I am sure at least one of the above features will loose out, but if you can get it all in I would be up for $1200-1500 if the ballistic calculator was accurate and was able to recalculate "on the fly". So no uploading tables. It needs to read the data and roll.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would have to have good enough optics to replace my binos, be ruggedized so that a light drop doesn't kill it and it has to at least be able to take a swim across a creek.

I checked $900-1200 because I am sure at least one of the above features will loose out, but if you can get it all in I would be up for $1200-1500 if the ballistic calculator was accurate and was able to recalculate "on the fly". So no uploading tables. It needs to read the data and roll.</div></div>
Well said..... I would have to say that it would have to match my Swarovski's glass at clarity,color and light gathering at least and be as tough as they are. My 10X50's have impressed me, I have even dropped them out of a tree stand with about a 20' drop..........And they are perfect even after.
................SmokeRolls

Add an illuminated variable reticle, and another zero on the end of the numbers and you'd be competing with the Vector for sure. Just don't forget the grid to target feature.

you normally have tradeoffs cheap or good and they never go togther so i choose 1500+.i will take quality everytime and will pay accordingly.not saying i like the cost of addmission,but it is what it is.

Just today I was thinking it would be nice to have a pair of LRF Binos that have some sort of built in Kestral and ballistics calculator... so its funny you ask this

It would be a valuable tool.

Kestral will be bringing out their new product soon and the above mentioned would be like a consolidated unit.

So what would I pay...

$800 for the LRF Bino's, and I say that price because Bushnell have added their competitive Fusion model, which hopefully forces prices down over the near future.

$700 im guessing for this new Kestrel when its released?

To have it all in one... yeh I would pay between $1500-2000 and be happy about it.

Keeping the price down would be good, because at the end of the day, a decent drop/wind chart print out combined with a cheap kestral and entry level LRF could have you getting results for a fraction of the cost.

200 - 400 if it's made offshore. Higher if it's all US. With the availability of extremely lightweight internal components that are also small in size as well as being inexpensive. Sans superb (US Optics quality) glass the unit could be made and sold for under $400.
I of course would say sell it for closer to $1200 because obviously that is what this particular market is willing to bear
grin.gif

Another huge deciding factor, would be the UNlimited Lifetime Warranty, of this North American made item. (yeah, I'm including Canada)

In a perfect world...

This would end up being $3000+ if built correctly. 1200-1600 yard ranging binoculars run around $2300 to begin with.

I would probably pay $4K if it was rugged and worked as advertised.

-dan

I would need to see a truck drive over it first, and then Bryan Litz would need to be the one who picks it up, ranges an egg at 1500 yards with an approx angle of 65 degrees (uphill shot), and then dials in the wind from the readout thats coming from 3 oclock full wind value of 20mph, and then takes the shot using FGMM and if he hits the egg then yeh I might pay good cash for it
laugh.gif

First off, to accurately range out to 2K would need a tripod mount or a VERY steady hand. Trying to do all the other stuff that far out would need a rock-solid mount without wiggle, or you would not get accurate dope from the thing. I have a hard enough time holding my 7x Leica CRF 1200 steady enough to get accurate readings of distance beyond 1K, especially when the wind is blowing.

I would have to say another must would be that it uses standard AA batteries (2-each). It appears that everything I own has to have a different battery, and screws up my logistics of trying to keep spare batteries.

I'd pay top dollar if it had everything as mentioned above, plus a label that said "Made in ...USA, Canada, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, or Japan" With parts from the same countries.

Also, since we're all dreaming, why not add the feature of having a GPS receiver (internal) interfaced with the ballistics calculator, and the ability to add your targets GPS location (coordinates), plus the ability to calulate the targets GPS coordinates based on the distance and azmuth of your location.

...and no microsoft crap that causes it to crash the moment you need the data.

Why not, may as well throw a GPS in there while your at it... And an emergency beacon too
smile.gif

careful here folks... i know people that can make dreams come true... so keep the ideas coming...

For it to happen, we need to know 2 things.

1. how much will people pay for it.
2. how many people will use it.

the answer to the second question is much more difficult... i really have no idea how to figure that out?

One can easily buy and (legally)own a 100mW laser pointer, why can't we get some real diode output power in our LRF's? Maybe not a 100mW but not this eye-safe bunk. This is a no-brainer. Eye-safe... HA ! We're using these to range targets to shoot at for Pete's sake! It doesn't have to be eye-safe.

I cannot see anyone buying a LRF unless you are going to be satisfied with mediocre performance from a de-tuned optic.

If it's a new product at a good price, do it right. Let me know, I'll buy one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hypertex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One can easily buy and (legally)own a 100mW laser pointer, why can't we get some real diode output power in our LRF's? Maybe not a 100mW but not this eye-safe bunk. This is a no-brainer. Eye-safe... HA ! We're using these to range targets to shoot at for Pete's sake! It doesn't have to be eye-safe.

I cannot see anyone buying a LRF unless you are going to be satisfied with mediocre performance from a de-tuned optic.

If it's a new product at a good price, do it right. Let me know, I'll buy one.</div></div>

+1, I dont look down the barrel of a loaded rifle for a good reason, I want a range finder that I can start a fire with, if need be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'd pay top dollar if it had everything as mentioned above, plus a label that said "Made in ...USA, Canada, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, or Japan" With parts from the same countries </div></div>

Wishful thinking,even the Leica 1200 CRF is made in Portugal.Still a great unit.

I would settle for a "NOT Made by CHICOMS,or in the Phillipines,Taiwan,Korea,Indonesia,.................." Label.

I have a swaro now, I do like it but would rather have a weapon mounted lrf. It has the power to reach out but the stability of a rifle platform would make it worth more. I find myself resting my swaro on top of my scope to range smaller targets.-Brandon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hypertex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One can easily buy and (legally)own a 100mW laser pointer, why can't we get some real diode output power in our LRF's? Maybe not a 100mW but not this eye-safe bunk. This is a no-brainer. Eye-safe... HA ! We're using these to range targets to shoot at for Pete's sake! It doesn't have to be eye-safe.

If it's a new product at a good price, do it right. Let me know, I'll buy one. </div></div>

Im sure there is a reason behind everything. These lasers do bounce back after all

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Im sure there is a reason behind everything. These lasers do bounce back after all</div></div>

As well as blind wildlife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">careful here folks... i know people that can make dreams come true... so keep the ideas coming...

For it to happen, we need to know 2 things.

1. how much will people pay for it.
2. how many people will use it.

the answer to the second question is much more difficult... i really have no idea how to figure that out? </div></div>

I'm willing to pay for it, but as far as features go (that I will use), I personally have to rate them from most desirable to least desirable in the following order:

1 - Effective Range (Power) out to at least 1500-meters.
2 - Reticle (I prefer a lit red LED reticle over a black LCD reticle that can't get lost in low light conditions).
3 - Scale selectable in both Meters and Yards (and can also do Mils, MOA, inches, etc. in the ballistics program).
4 - Common Battery Type (i.e. AA).
5 - Tripod attachment point.
6 - Angle/cosign function.
7 - Instant and continuos scan ranging.
8 - Ballistics program with at least the following - Caliber, velocity, bullet weight, BC, temp. pressure, and altitude.
9 - rugged, and quality made in North America, Europe, or Japan.
10 - Price

My Zeiss LRF would be perfect if it had the above added features.

Slightly OT, but what about a very compact and simple picatinny mount range finder that could mount above the barrel similar to an AN/PQ4? Does this exist for civilians and I just dont know it? Aim through your scope, tap it with your off hand and peek with your non-dominant eye. It would probably need a visible laser for zeroing/sighting purposes, but I would think once you had it set up and knew what it was doing relative to your reticle you could turn it off. You would think something like that good for 2000yards and lacking glass could be made as a high quality piece for under $500? Just an idea... what do you think of something like that groper?

the point is knowing the numbers one can work out a plan to produce them factoring in the 1 off engineering cost. Im speaking with an electronics/instruments engineer next week about this. He can easily make this a reality, but we need to know the numbers to decide whether its a viable reality or not. After all these units are already available, but they cost in the order of about $8-15k as far as i can gather so of course noone buys them. They have to be affordable within reason and still dont know if thats possible or not.

JJ302, the types of things you are referring to have also already been done, you can buy a few different rifle scopes already that have a LRF built in. They dont work well enough tho. Its the same story everywhere, all this technology already exists, but noone seems to be able to get it right! they either dont have enough range, or the ballistic calculations are too limited to be functional, or the ones that do work well are too damn expensive etc etc

I would pay 3k+... But don't think you could build it for less than 5k.

]<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Im sure there is a reason behind everything. These lasers do bounce back after all</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As well as blind wildlife. </div></div>

Divergence people...divergence. 2.3 x .5m @ 1000yds, twice that upon return. Also note the spec for "eyesafe" i.e. 48 hour <span style="text-decoration: underline">continuous</span> exposure. So let's raise the power output to make it dead-nuts dependale at <= 3000 yds in the brightest sunlight and regardless of target material. No rescan, correct from the first attempt. Please see the review exceprt below from bnet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bnet </div><div class="ubbcode-body">The LRF 1200 uses an eye-safe laser system. Ron Cormier, technical expert at Leica Sports Optics, told me that in order to qualify as eye safe, the system must be able to focus directly on a subject's eyes for 48 continuous hours and do no damage. I didn't try it. I just can't stay awake that long anymore.

Pushing the distance-measuring button activates the laser. A red targeting mark appears in the view window. Using the targeting square, you select the target to range and depress the go button a second time. Distance to the target appears just below the targeting square. Distance can be measured from 10 to 1,200 yards.

Incredible Accuracy

Accuracy is within one yard up to 400 yards, and two yards out to 1,200 yards. It will read even further under optimum lighting conditions. The system may be set to display distance in meters rather than yards. This is accomplished by switching the unit's single mode switch. The mode switch is hidden from errant fingers under the battery housing cover.

Align the dot on the "M" for meters, or rotate the dial counter clockwise 180 degrees to "Y" for yards.

"It's hidden like that to prevent those of us with sausage size fingers from inadvertently pushing the wrong button," said Cormier, "and getting a reading of 137 (meters) rather than 150 yards."

Leica uses a pulse laser. The light makes 60 trips back and forth to the target every millisecond. This system eliminates the need for a degraded operation or rain mode switch. If there is an outcropping of rock or tree branches in the way, the laser will read the target. If the laser bounces the main target 51 out of 100 times, and the branch 49 out of 100 times, it will read back the main target distance. Majority rules here.

Critical Difference

The milliradiance, or size of the beam, of the Leica laser is 2.3 meters wide by .5 meters high at 1,000 yards. Most systems give a reading of 7 meters by 5 meters at that distance. That's bigger than most double-car garage doors.</div></div>

Well let see:

Swaro $990
Kestrel 4000 $280
Garmin 60 CSx $290
HP ipaq211 $350
FFS Delta IV $350
Total $2260 Roughly.

Now if you are telling me that your one instrument does all of those above functions, and if they are just as accurate as those instruments, then you can charge for up to 2- 2.5 K for your product. Remember, the more function you put into your "machine" the more chance for it to malfunction. That's just Mr. Murphy's law. For me, if you can produce a LRF that can reliably range out to 3-3.5 K with inclination and GPS positioning, I think that I would be willing to pay decent money for it (2K+).

There's a big difference between what I'm willing to spend and what it is worth.

I checked the $900-$1200, but that's only because that's near my self-imposed single item budget.

I'm sure there would be people willing to spend much more than that and still be happy with the purchase.

I would happily pay $2500 for such a unit, provided that it was reliable, waterproof, survived a drop test (6 feet onto a concrete floor), and allowed user input of ballistic data in the field, without using a computer.