• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns How necessary is the recall on the XDS 9?

I Am Hero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
I just bought a XD-s 9 from another guy here in state for my carry gun and the serial number falls in their category of recall products. It states on Springfield's site that this is an extremely rare fault that the guns have (might fire twice with one trigger pull, might discharge upon chambering).

My question is: is it worth sending it in to them or is it so rare that it doesn't really matter? I've seen people have it take 3 months to get their gun and I don't want to go the entire summer without carrying either.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I have a XDS .45 that I sent back for the recall last month. I had debated whether to send it in or not but I sent it off one Wed. and had it back the next. They even pitched in a new extended magazine. Great customer service.

Tim

Hmm yea if the turn around is that fast I might just send it in. When sending in for repair, can USPS send it (typically they won't ship handguns) or does it have to go Fedex or UPS?

Is it worth an accidental discharge to you? My recommendation is that you send it in. It may be a 1 in a million issue but if you are that 1, you could have a bad day.

Hmm yea if the turn around is that fast I might just send it in. When sending in for repair, can USPS send it (typically they won't ship handguns) or does it have to go Fedex or UPS?

Go to Springfield's website about the recall and fill out the form. Put in the actual date that you plan to ship it and it will allow you to print a shipping label for Fed Ex. Drop it off at a ship location and you are good. I sent mine back in a small box, pistol only.

Is it worth an accidental discharge to you? My recommendation is that you send it in. It may be a 1 in a million issue but if you are that 1, you could have a bad day.

Yea isn't that the truth. I would rather not be the guy with one in my back half.

Well that was awesome to see, 2-day at that. So I went and entered the serial number to begin the registry; said the gun was already returned to owner. Come to find out the previous owner took care of it all but failed to tell me that until I texted him. Thanks for the insight, guys.

That's good to hear that it was already taken care of for you. I have a very early serial number xds9, and ended up sending it back the next day after the recall was issued. It took a little over 3 months for me to get my firearm back so I was disappointed with that a little bit. The thing that upset me the most though was the post recall trigger. The trigger pull even after a few hundred rounds of breaking in is still about 1-1.5 pounds heavier than before I sent it back. The trigger isn't that bad, but not as nice as it was before the recall. I may end up doing a trigger job on it soon...

There was another member on here who had his discharge into his bed when sent into battery. If I had one I would certainly get it fixed. My ex had one and I told her to get it fixed, her lazy ass never did. She was stupid and let it get stolen so I hope karma does its thing and the thief shoots themselves with it now.