• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How often do factory loads touch lands?

Claluja

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2019
Grabbed some factories to break in barrel and fireform brass for a 6.5x47 bolt gun. Was surprised to see that Lapua 123 scenar factory loads touched the lands. I haven't noticed that from factories before - just wondering how common that is.

Not too common. But it’s nice to be able to have them long and be able to seat them deeper to tune seating depth.

Only common when you have a custom barrel that has been chambered with a short freebore and factory ammo is set for SAAMI. Happens in some factory rifles that are short chambered like Savages and some RPRs.

Do you have a copy of the chamber reamer print of the reamer that was used in your barrel?

That would help a lot. Then you know what reamer spec was used.

Also as a reamer gets used the first thing that goes is the throat of the reamer. The throat always cuts even if you rough chamber the barrel etc....so as the reamer/throat starts to go it will usually start to cut under size and it will tighten up per say and this could be giving you the issue as well.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Reactions: Rob01 and 1moaoff
The Scenars are long in factory 6.5x47L ammo, if your rifle was chambered with a 0.135" or less freebore, I would expect them to touch. 0.167" or greater freebore should be ok.

Thanks for all the good comments. Rifle is AI AX. Twist is 8. Bartlein blank used, by AI. Don't have reamer print or spec.

Factory 136 scenars: CBTO 2.089; don't touch lands, good groups.

Facroty 123 scenars: CBTO 2.136; touch lands; don't shoot as well as 136.

Plan on 140 hydrids first with the fireformed brass.

Last edited:
Who put the barrel on for you? Ask them for the reamer they used.

Thanks for all the good comments. Rifle is AI AX. Twist is 8. Bartlein blank used, by AI. Don't have reamer print or spec.

Factory 136 scenars: CBTO 2.089; don't touch lands, good groups.

Facroty 123 scenars: CBTO 2.136; touch lands; don't shoot as well as 136.

Plan on 140 hydrids first with the fireformed brass.

If I recall correctly AI is cnc cutting the chambers and not using a reamer. Don't quote me on that but I think so. Reamer or not what they cut the throat/freebore length to we don't know off hand.

That being said the 123 Scenars according to your numbers above BTO are almost .050" longer. Than the 136's. That's one variable your dealing with.

Also if you have a really good mic.... measure the bullet diameter as well. If the bullets are fat (lets say for example .2645" on the diameter) that can amplify your situation as well.