• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How often do you oil?

Re: How often do you oil?

Most of my guns are fine (kryloned) but my CZ 453 is a rust magnet and i have to oil or silicon spray it down after i use it.

I clean my guns and put rust preventative on them EVERY time I shoot them, including my stainless steel guns.

Why would you not take care of your equipment?

Ok. I oil it after every time I use it, but I didn't know whether or not I was just being anal.

I use corrosion-x on my guns, my lathe and other stuff. Paste wax is good for stuff you are going to store or may be rained on. I don't use it on my guns.
I only use naptha in my triggers.
I use Hoppes in my chambers and barrel.
FWIW

I tried auto wax 20 years ago. Not good protection. EEZOX is the best I have found, and gives an almost dry finish.

^EEZOX was mentioned in that thread as a very good recommendation as well as carnuba wax.

I try to oil every time. I forget sometimes. For me, the key is the bolt, which tends to get pitted, especially the bolt handle. I oil my receiver and barrel as well, but not as often and everything appears to be holding up.

Depends on how often I am using a rig. I don't oil em more than once a month, unless I get in the rain with a rig.

I use Eezox as well. Smells a little funny when you first put it on....call me crazy, but my close quarters deer rifle is cerrakoted and doesn't get any oil on it-unless I get caught in a flood-til after season, if it needs some I use break free during season, just cause I can't smell it as much...maybe doesn't make sense--just what I do--it gets Eezox off season as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I try to oil every time. I forget sometimes. For me, the key is the bolt, which tends to get pitted, especially the bolt handle. I oil my receiver and barrel as well, but not as often and everything appears to be holding up. </div></div>

Same here. That's one of the reasons why I had my bolt cerakoted.

I use break free. It cleans and oils at the same time. That way I dont have to worry about oiling it seperately and I know its always oiled

as for cleaning, i clean everytime after I shoot

o sorry, i forgot that we werent talking about actions. I use a silicon cloth with oil in it and i rub all the external metal parts after everytime i clean.

Just don't clean the bore every time. The lube on the bullets takes care of the rust problem. The bore on my Win 67 from 1947 is pristine. No scrubbing there. "Kleanbore" rules. JMHO

I always wipe down and oil ALL the metal parts on my win 52's after every use. It takes no effort and is a best foot forward on corrosion resistance.
I use break free Greased Lightening on the blue. It does not have the cleaner in it like clp and it is heavier and sets up a barrier film that will hang around. You will have to wipe it down before you take it out in the field.