• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

how often do you shoot the guns you have?

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
Gents,

bit of a musing (rambling actually
grin.gif
)

I'm interested as to the make up of your firearms collections but I'm more interested in the motivations that dictated your choices.

I guess the question I have is this: Do you decide on the intended purpose of a specific weapon and then buy/build around that purpose or are you more impulsive and tend to pick things up that peak your interest at the time.

I ask since I'm trying to decide if I should sell off and narrow the number of guns I have and have just a few that are exactly what I need and want. Have any of you done this/plan on doing this?

I would rather have just a few guns that I shoot a lot rather than a lot of guns that rarely get used.

If you are one of those with a huge amount of time and money to shoot squillions of different guns don't bother posting, the rest of us hate you
grin.gif

Rath

Re: how often do you shoot the guns you have?

I mainly shoot my MP-5, Uzi and M-16's when I go to the range. I also frequently take out my 45 converted Enfield that is integrally suppressed along with my FN-SPR bolt gun suppressed.

It really depends on the mood I'm in that day. I try to take somewhat of a variety so boredom doesn't set in. If I plan on doing more long range work, then it's just the bolt gun and maybe 1 subgun and/or a pistol.
Steve

I try and get to the range at least once a fortnight with the bolt gun. It's a 550 yard range.
Go hunting once a month normally.
Maybe once every 6 months hunting with the Marlin lever .30-30
IPSC with the handgun.

To answer your question though :p My guns are more of a system,

I have a handgun with torch for 0-25 meters
Lever action .30-30 with eotech for 25-150 meters
Bolt gun .308 for 100-900 meters

I think figure out what you need for where you shoot (close brush / wide open / zombies etc) and build your collection around that.

I did both things, I bought a few things on a lark and ended up liking a few of them enough to keep them. I have a CR license and many of the CR weapons that I have I bought because I wanted a specific rifle. They got shot, and I try to take them out at least a few times a year, but not anywhere near as much shooting as my two precision rigs get.

When I go to the range I always take my bolt action 22LR and at least on CR like a MN91/30 or my k31. This way when the 30-06 or 204 Ruger are cooling then I still have something to shoot, I'm not sitting idle.

I did alot of experimentation and I bought many different styled weapons from hunting to all out war battle rifles to light weight CQC weapons. I have honed down some of my hunting weapons but still have more than I need. My personality leans torward CQC weapons and I use them more than the other weapons. I use many of the pistols as well since they are always with me when I carry concealed. I also have gone up on quality and price and have purchased better or custom weapons that have been refined. It didn't happen overnight though...As I learned and experimented with different style weapon platforms, I realized what I wanted. Yes, this journey has been expensive but the knowledge gained has been well worth it in my opinion. ( I still have alot to learn.)......I will probably have a more refined collection in the years to come but I do have a hard time letting go of weapons....It's my love affair...SmokeRolls

I am a huge proponent of quality. Therefore, I don't have many guns (15) but the ones I have are the best I could afford. I have bolt guns, pistols, and shotguns but since my heart is in LR shooting, that is where most my time is spent. Each of my guns serve a specific purpose so I don't have a lot of extras laying around. If it is just an extra, it gets sold to improve another gun.

I have....Remington 700 for precision shooting
M1 Garand for the history
M1A for the M14 history
Remington 870 for trap shooting
Winchester 75 Military Trainer for any smallbore action.
I shoot each a couple times a year. I guess these kinda cover all the bases for now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
quality guns are as good as money in the bank.

No need to thin unnecessarily. </div></div>

No shit! I have always believed that. Good point hydro556.

I get home every 3 months, usually have new toys so the ones from the last R&R are hidden somewhere in the back of the safe or sold.

I did pick up a Rem 700 XCR LR around X-mas maybe that I have gotten to run at least 50 rounds each trip home.

Also had a Kimber Advanced tactical and Ruger SR-556 this last time, I might run some rounds through the kimber this time but the ruger will prolly get sent to the back of the safe with other rifles that I use to love but have moved on from.

If they I dont really think I will do much with them I sell the ones but I try to hand onto as many as possible never know when I might get the 6x284 twitch or jones'en to shoot my 270 VJ again.

personally i am a compulsive gun buyer at this point. i am starting to have doubles of alot of stuff, but can't pass up a good deal. i too believe what hydro stated, that guns are as good as money in the bank (sometimes better if you have the right ones). even if the market goes down, they are always worth something as opposed to the potential worthlessness of paper currency.

Rath,

My .45 rarely gets fired, but I carry it daily. A .22 & a 12 gauge are staples in any shooters house.... although they rarely get taken out.

My bolt gun is my one and only. A wise man once said, quality only hurts once. I sold 3 other bolt guns to get the one I have. Intended purpose was my paramount concern as I now have one rifle to fill the roll of all others. I shoot on a budget. This means any extra cash now goes to shooting the quality rifle I have. Hobby's take money. Our hobby is precision shooting in adverse conditions; Not collecting random guns. Most serious shooters spend enough on consumables every "season" to amass a huge "arms cache". In case you cant tell, I am a big believer in the old adage, "beware the man that only owns one gun".

A question for you: What EXACTLY do you need your gun/guns for? Give this thoughtful consideration and you will have your answer.

Off topic, but I have to ask. What legal restrictions so you have on the guns you own in your part of the world?

I have a bunch of different guns, but I mainly shoot my .308 700LTR/AICS/Nightforce/AWC suppressor or my AR15(Bushmaster lower, gisselle trigger, LaRue upper, Nightforce, Gemtech suppressor). I shoot a couple rodents every day. I shoot on the range once or twice a month. Most of my shooting is done in the field.

I have a bunch of guns that I don't need, but I do shoot them now and then and they are good to loan out to friends when we go hunting. They are worth more to me in the safe then what I could sell them for.

I don't buy any guns just for fun, they all have a purpose. I like military type stuff and those guns work good for what I am doing, so that is what I buy.

-dan

I have a varied collection.

My bolt gun and .22LR trainer get shot every week when possible. Sometimes work schedule or family commitments cause me to skip a week, but I have been attempting to get some meaningful live fire at least once a week. Thankfully my work schedule is getting set up so I will have one day dedicated to TRAINING with the bolt gun each month. Not just an hour with it before going to other team tactics.

My M4 and Glock 21 get shot at least once a month since they are my primary duty weapons.

I have several other "fun guns" that are not primary defensive/offensive weapons. I shoot them when I get the urge. However since I dedicate much of my range time to those that I have to use for work the "fun guns" don't get a lot of trigger time. My M1 Garand has not been shot in a year and I just got setup to reload for it. My AR-15 HBAR has also been not shot in some time. My AK gets run whenever I get the urge. It is still a "combat weapon" and I feel the need to keep the manual of arms for it fresh in my mind.

I generally have three groups of guns.

Work Guns
Fun Guns
Sentimental guns

Work guns get shot often
Fun Guns get shot infrequently
Sentimental Guns are seldom shot, but savored when I do.

An example of one of the sentimental guns that does not get shot much: I have a Remington 581 .22LR. It was my first gun, given to me by my father. It's in a youth stock so it does not fit me. It will stay in my collection until my boys are big enough to shoot it.

I am a firm believer in acquiring guns that fill a purpose then never parting with them. I don't do "impulse buys" often since I spend too much on ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Off topic, but I have to ask. What legal restrictions so you have on the guns you own in your part of the world? </div></div>

In my state I can own an unlimited amount of centrefire and rimfire rifles and handguns as well as shotguns. Rifles + Shotguns cannot be semi auto without very difficult to obtain licenses. Handguns must have bbl length over a certain length and have a max capacity of 10 rounds. Basically we can't have semi auto rifles + shotguns. We also cannot own pump action shotguns but we can own pump action rifles....strange hey!

Rath

I live in the South and have been deer hunting with a rifle for over 26 years.

Over the past 15 years I have become a bowhunter for big game. All the bolt rifles in my safe no longer served much of a purpose. For the past 10 years I have bowhunted exclusively for deer, so most of my rifles didn't get shot at all. Now I may take a rifle out hunting once or twice a year based on the circumstances.

So, this brings me to my point. I have been diversifying my arsenal for about 2 years now. Did I really need 7 different bolt-action deer rifles in 243, 7mm08, 308, and 270? Nope.

I've been bitten by the long range but so I've added that tool. I have diversified a great deal, but now I'm at the point where I can't really sell a few that are left that are safe queens b/c they were gifts.

After hunting deer for over 26 years - and killing many with weapons that range from longbow to 270 bolt action - as far as rifles go - a good woodsman/hunter in the south can do anything he needs with the trusty old 30/30. A marlin 336 with a 2x7 will perform nicely out to 200 yds. Of course it isn't the rifle of choice on a soybean field though.

Sorry for the tangent.

rookie7, tangent all good, I think we all enjoy the thought stimulation.

Let me expand on the original question and put a scenario to you:

Which weapon/s would you take with you in a BUG-Out situation. Let's throw in the unlikely situation in which your country is invaded and you need to evac on foot.

Boltgun? Semi? Which handgun/ how much ammo for each?

Cheers.

If I was being a sneaky squirrel and avoiding confrontation I'd probably run something like a .17 HMR and carry a crap load of ammo. being that the rounds are tiny, come in bulk boxes and weigh next to nothing.
little 4-10x optics, no requirement for a bipod. a nice sling for long distance rucking, paint it Matte and put on an ARD for concealment.

96C,

Yes something to be said for having a a crap load of ammo in a lightweight portable package. I like your idea of breaking your weapon choices down into range specific systems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I try and get to the range at least once a fortnight with the bolt gun. It's a 550 yard range.
Go hunting once a month normally.
Maybe once every 6 months hunting with the Marlin lever .30-30
IPSC with the handgun.

To answer your question though :p My guns are more of a system,

I have a handgun with torch for 0-25 meters
Lever action .30-30 with eotech for 25-150 meters
Bolt gun .308 for 100-900 meters

I think figure out what you need for where you shoot (close brush / wide open / zombies etc) and build your collection around that. </div></div>

Which range do you shoot at champ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which weapon/s would you take with you in a BUG-Out situation. Let's throw in the unlikely situation in which your country is invaded and you need to evac on foot.</div></div>

If I am just bugging out because the locale I reside in has become uninhabitable, I would have to take my Savage MkII, Suppressor and all the ammo I could carry in addition to one of my pistols. You can feed a family for awhile with a .22 and take just about any game in the woods if you know what you are doing.

If it was a Red Dawn scenario, then I would have to take the bolt gun and a pistol because bugging out would only last until the family was out of the area. Then the fun would begin. If the AR-10 was done I would take that instead of the bolt gun because local terrain does not afford many 1000 yard shots, but 300-400 yard shots would be plentiful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awaken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which range do you shoot at champ? </div></div>

Little River, an hour west of Melbourne mate. Apparently Ballarat has a 1000 yard F class range also, will have to suss that out once I get back home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rookie7, tangent all good, I think we all enjoy the thought stimulation.

Let me expand on the original question and put a scenario to you:

Which weapon/s would you take with you in a BUG-Out situation. Let's throw in the unlikely situation in which your country is invaded and you need to evac on foot.

Boltgun? Semi? Which handgun/ how much ammo for each?

Cheers. </div></div>

When I think about possible bug-out situations I never really feel comfortable with my plan. I have a wife and 3 children (7,4, and 2). Humping out on foot would be very slow and difficult.

I would carry 2 rifles, as well as 2 pistols.

1. 1976 Winchester Model 94 in .30/30 - with iron sights I can hit a paper plate at 100 yards all day - ammo is everywhere - the look is non-militaristic and threatening which I am hoping would make me less of a target - lighter than my AR - 8 round capacity

2. Marlin 39A in .22 - I can easily carry 3K rounds for this - take any game in the south with it - and take head shots on attackers at 100 yds - if I could keep composure under stress

3. 9mm pistol

4. .22 pistol

I work at an indoor range so I get to shoot my pistols and AR alot my bolt gun gets warm atleast once a week that will be the case in about 10 minutes if I can get my wife out of bed she wanted to shoot the 50 this morning maybe I'll post a pic in the hot girlfriend thread

Bugouts; Garand (Nosler 150's and 180's, <span style="font-style: italic">anything</span> on the continent that breathes is fair game), 10/22 (HV HP and Roundnose Match, headshots when available, economical pot gun), 20ga (slug, buck, and GP shot, more ammo, less weight), all semi's. All customers served with the finest care and most appropriate products. We <span style="font-style: italic">aim</span> to please (...us...).

Ok here is my idea of ideal bug-out weapons (remember no scary black guns allowed in OZ)

1. Bolt Action Precision rifle (Carried in scabbard)
2. .357mag Timberwolf pump action
3. .9mm handgun
4. .357 Mag Handgun
5. .22 handgun

As much ammo as I can carry. Should cover it. If I lived in the USA it would be an AR10 and 2 pistols.

I sell off old guns for new ones all the time. If you can get it down to 3 or 4 guns you are better than me. I find a dozen rifle and a dozen pistol is where I sit. I try to keep down to what will fit in the safe. In a perfect world I would have 1 rifle 1 shot gun and 1 pistol.

I try to stay current with the 3 gun equipment, although I have to make myself practice with the shotgun. Couple pistol matches a month pretty much keeps the handgun up to speed. Rifle is weekly just because I like it so much. Bolt 22 gets used daily (shit birds in the feeder), wife uses it for pests in her garden, she's no bunny hugger. Varmint AR gets used a lot in the fall and winter for yotes. Carry pistols in the tractor while working ground for the odd skunk, dillo and such.

I concur with LoneWolfUSMC. I have work guns that get shot at least once a month. Fun guns get shot maybe a couple times a year. I have guns I haven't shot in 5 years (a couple I've never shot).

When I stop and think about it, I don't have that many firearms. I only have a few that rarely get shot.

99% of range trips I spend time with my daily carry handgun, and one of my two AR's. I only recently picked up a .308 Savage, so I've been spending a lot of time with it.

Sometimes we don't want to spend the cash that week to replace ammo, so we take out the .22 arsenal for practice.

I don't even own a shotgun.

We usually get out 2-3 times a month to shoot. Maybe once a month in the winter, weather dependent. A big factor is price/availability of ammo this last year, it put a big dent in our shooting time. We shot a lot more prior to '08 than we have been recently.

all of my fireams fill a purpose. everyone always asks why i need so many. i dont consider my self having alot. 5 pistols. ones the wifes, and 5 rifles 1 shotgun. i had 7 rifles. and sold one just cuz. and traded one for the handgun for the wife. and i regret both everytime i look in the cabinet. i just enjoy having them i guess. i will never get rid of another gun again. i will just continue to acquire. some day i would like to have a nice custom LR gun with sweet glass. but most of my money goes into perfecting my AR its almost done. and then i wanna buy another, after that, my next venture will be suppressors.

I have nothing against owning a lot of guns, but I myself felt the need to cull the herd some time back and settle on a few guns that each served an individual purpose - and each is the best I could afford for that purpose.

I shoot all of them frequently now because there aren't that many of them. It just didn't feel right looking at certain guns year after year as they sat, untouched, in the cabinet. So, I sold what I didn't use and the ones that were left I now shoot the crap out of. In fact, I'm trying to attend a class at Gunsite for each of the long guns I own except my 10/22 (this will take time, of course) and get some overall pistol training from them, too, on the few handguns I now carry/use.

I have a boodle load of guns and 4 absorb most of my shooting. I take a bolt .308 to the range, sometimes an '06. Almost always carry a Ruger .22 for the trigger time.

I shoot something every single day.

I live in rural america... so I'm killing vermin constantly. From pidgeons and sparrows to stray cats, coons, badgers and whatever else happens to breach the perimeter.

I probably shoot suppressed .22's and 17HMR's the most. Followed closely by my .223's and 308's. A rifle is right by my side in my truck at all times.

I'm one of those guys that uses his rifles... heavily. I also have a few "historic" type guns that just get fondled and talked about... but rarely shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot something every single day. </div></div>

not fair! I wait all month long sometimes 2 months before me and my shooting buddy can go to the range. when I go I take every thing. shoot an ass load of .22 out of the mk2. then the bolt guns. thats after we drive 45 min to the range. in a bug out situation it would prob be the sks. .308 .22 mk2 and my .40 and as much ammo as i could carry if I could figure out how to carry all the rifles. but I'm a single parent of a 2 yr old so I don't think I would be going anywhere or making it very far or carrying much armorment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have guns I haven't shot in 5 years (a couple I've never shot). </div></div>

how do you do that? i almost respect your discipline... in a strange almost dissapointing way haha. do you just have them because you CAN or... they seemed like a good idea at the time?

or are you one of those guys who is hiding a WA2000 in the safe for your kids when you pass over? :p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have guns I haven't shot in 5 years (a couple I've never shot). </div></div>

how do you do that?</div></div>

If he is anything like me, he just has other guns that he prefers to shoot.

A good example would be my "precision" AR. If you give my the choice between a day with the AR or a day with the 700 I would rather shoot the 700. They are both built for similar tasks and punch paper at short range very well. The 700 does better at long range, so when I go out to the pit to shoot I take the 700. The only time the AR comes out is when I want to shoot suppressed since it's setup to take the same suppressor that rides on my M4.

If you have guns that "overlap" and one is a favorite, then it's normal to grab the favorite and neglect the other.

Depends.

With some of the precision rigs, I usually hit the range or bang steel at home 3-4 times per week. Some do alot of dust collecting, mainly the big boomers, and dedicated pdog rifles.

Battle rifles, such as AR15s(non precision), AKs, M1s, etc. Maybe once every few months. But in general they gather dust.

Ive been shooting pistols alot more lately, but nothing like I shoot LR rifles.

NEVER ENOUGH...

Hunting season is fairly active...

Target/training is 'as available' both in terms of time and money!

Weapons that I would want in a Bug out situation in Australia: Since evil black weapons are not available in OZ: I would probably go for the Winchester 30/30 ( Light weight,light ammo, quick handler, non threatening to most people. Hunting pistol: Smith and Wesson in 357 mag 686 preferably an 8 3/8" barrel with silouette front adjustable sights.( If you ever use these sights, you will be a firm believer forever, these are built into the barrel, they cannot be added) The front sights have a wheel and with an allen screw, you can adjust and set each of the 4 settings to whatever distance you want. You can have it to where you can split a roos hair at 25 meters on one setting and flip it to one of the settings and nail your target at 200 meters if you do your part.I really regret selling mine... Stupid me..Stupid me....Arrrggggg I will get one again. Another back up pistol would be a good lightweight 22LR revolver with atleast a 6" barrel for added accuracy and power... All these weapons have lightweight ammo for more carry, easy to come by as well, I would assume.... Have fun with your final pick...SmokeRolls

Several years ago when I was laid off from a large company after 13 years, I shot almost everyday for a year on the fat severance they gave me. It was a lot of fun and I learned much attending schools and obtaining instruction. Shooting is a perishable skill that requires continuous maintenance.

I don't get out much lately, with all the rifles I have now I still reminisce about the days when I had one rifle... my .22

Bill

Once or twice a week unless I'm deployed, then its whenever I have too. I mainly shoot my 1911, ar-15, and bolt gun. As those are also my civi duty weapons, minus the bolt gun. These would also be the weapons I would take in a bug-out situation, with as much ammo as possible.

At this point, I get out once a month on average. The price of ammo is not helping.. I bought a Remington 700 PSS about a year ago, and it's only been to the range 5 times. My 2 ARs haven't been shot as much as I would like recently either. A Bushmaster A2 with irons, and a franken-Recce I built around a WOA 14.5 midlength barrel. The guns that WILL get shot every range trip are my heavy barrel 10/22, Ruger Single Six, and S&W Mod. 41. At least I can afford the ammo for those guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sumpter Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At least once a week. </div></div>

Same here. I try not to shoot at the 100 either. I learn a lot more when shooting 300+.

I shoot several times per week...one of the advantages of having a 500 yard range on your property. I have two rifles I change teh bbls on yearly cause I wear them out, and several more, like my LR prone rifle and my Palma that will go several years before I change those bbls. I shoot the XTC, LR and Palma rifles the most. Then I have a couple 22 trainers, like a 40X, a 52D, CLE 22 upper on my service rifle, that get shot weekly. Rest of the time its dry firing on the RIKA using a T2k, usually.

So, figure less than 10 guns that get shot regularly, and probably 5 of them that get the most rounds. Dont even want to really think about how many rounds I shoot a year, but its a lot....a whole lot.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I ask since I'm trying to decide if I should sell off and narrow the number of guns I have and have just a few that are exactly what I need and want. Have any of you done this/plan on doing this?
</div></div>

I used to have a lot of guns, many of them bought on impulse chasing the latest cool thing or because they were a great deal. When I moved back to CA a good chunk of them were suddenly too evil to own so I sold them off. Over the last 10 years I've continued to cut my collection down to:

1. stuff I use
2. stuff that I don't use or in some cases want but it's banned and I can't replace it
3. stuff that makes no sense but I keep it anyway

Category 1 is my primary handgun, the house handgun, my clays/pheasant/evil shotgun (M500s are versatile!), my .308 bolt gun, my .17hmr bolt gun

Category 2 is my AR and a few hanguns with hi-caps.

Category 3 is a hand-me-down from my great grandmother that's probably unsafe to fire, my .308 bolt gun that's too frikin' big for me to wield correctly but looks really cool in the safe, my 'spare' M500 that's not worth selling, my 30/30 because I think I'll hunt with it one day, etc.

I used to shoot the Category 1 stuff every month or so (much less now with ammo prices). Category 2 stuff hasn't been fired in 10 years, and most of it and stuff in Category 3 aren't even at my house anymore, but rather in secure storage elsewhere and likely won't be fired until I'm dead and someone else owns them.

If I had to bug out, I would take my primary handgun because I have 20x the training time and rounds out of that compared to anything else I know. I would like to think I would break out the AR, but since it's not been used in so long I don't know that I would trust it 100%, so more than likely I would take the shotgun with a variety of ammo (and just the 18" evil barrel). Maybe the .308, but running for the cabin in CA I can't see myself doing long range stuff vs. defending against 2-legged snakes.

Wow, how boring.