• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How old are these primers?

DamnDave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
California
I am new to reloading so not familiar with different components.

These boxes look pretty vintage. How old are these things?
5601521775_d1f3f590e9_z.jpg

Re: How old are these primers?

Their like old surplus ammo.
It's not their age, it's how they were stored.
Any water stain's or funny smell's from them?
If not I'd use'em

Looks like they are from the 80s. I have several thousand CCI LP primers from that era in the same boxes. Mine shoot great.

What happened was in the '80s the military ran out of 45 ACP ammo. I was running the AKNG Marksmanship unit and used State funds to buy primers and powder (231) so we could cast & load, still allowing us to shoot 45s while most states went to 22s.

The Army finely came through bought 45 ammo from Israel leaving use setting on thousands of primers and powder. When I retired I turned over the property books to my replacement. He didn't want nothing to do with reloading Guard ammo saying it was against Regs. I tried to explain it was ok if we used state funds but he wanted it gone. So almost 20 years later I'm still working on getting ride of it.

In 45s (ACP & LC)and 44s, I can't tell the differance between the primers of the '80s and todays primers.

When you are setting on lots of brass, powder and primers, and cast your bullets, you find out you can shoot 45s for nothing.

I just wish I kept a lot more of the stuff I spent years gathering for our program and the idiot turned in or destroyed so the wouldn't have to worry about it. Some people are more worried about their career then getting the job done.

They should be good to go, just try a couple of them out. If they were all stored under the same conditions I dont see why if some work the others wont.

I read on here just the other day someone wet tubmled some primed cases, let them dry, attempted to fire and they still went bang.

I have some stuff from the Clinton primer scare. Still GTG. Loaded some ammo not to long ago with some CCIs that came from boxes like yours. No problems.

Definitely no water marks. They smell fine I guess lol? I guess I will see if they work fine soon enough. Thanks for the info.

About 15 years ago i got some primers at a yard sale.

About 800 each of Remington large rifle primers and Winchester large rifle primers.

The factory boxes for the 100 primer packages were made of wood.

All but one of these 1600 or so primers functioned properly.

I have some that were kept in an old 20MM ammo can for at least 40 years as the owner was the grandfather of a friend of mine. They were kept in a garage/Shed on the family property and as you may know it gets hot as balls here in central Florida with plenty of humidity!

In the ammo can there were several 1000 count boxes of small and large pistol and large rifle primers. All of them tried thus far have fired without fail.

There were also 3 cans of powder in this ammo can as well as several hundred loaded rounds of .45 ACP, .38 spl and .32 Win, as well as dies, a forster case trimmer and more goodies!

Here's a photo of the powder to give you an idea of the age! They are unopened to this day!
1122081140.jpg