• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How Old Are You ????

gingerking5566

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2017
How old are you???

'Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.

'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained. !

'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore, Levis , set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears & Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer.

I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 5. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.'
When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 4. It was an old black Dodge.

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phonein the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. My brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which he got to keep 2 cents. He had to get up at 6 am every morning.

On Saturday, he had to collect the 42 cents from his customers. His favorite customers were the ones who gave him 50 cents and told him to keep the change. His least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
Real ice boxes.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.
Older Than Dirt Quiz :

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about
Ratings at the bottom.

1 Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6 . Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines on the telephone
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels [if you were fortunate])
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S& H greenstamps
16 Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really OLD friends...

Ginger, all of that except I don't know what a "Butch Wax" is. Everything else though... yeah, that's my childhood. I know of 3 things off the top of my head that you're missing, though.

-Local volunteer fire-hall with the air-raid siren to call in the firefighters from the community, when there's a fire reported. (before they brought out the 10/10 radios)
-floor starter switches, mounted beside the gas pedal on a short piece of pipe. '40s era International trucks had em, anyways.
-neighborhood decency. You couldn't try to do anything without your parents catching you, near so much as make sure the neighbors didn't see you. That network back then,,,, hen-fest at the fences.... they all knew what was going on, and kept each other up. We had to make sure to be a long ways off, if trying to 'scientifically experiment' with certain combustible substances in rather confining containers with somewhat guiding orifices to create velocity, height, and BLEVE level spectacles.

Or, so's I've heard, anyways.

Reactions: Foul Mike
Butch wax was to make the little tuft of hair at the front of the flat top stand up. I didn't get the gum.

Sad to say I remember all 25. I'm one of those guys who can stand in Cracker Barrel an give a dissertation on most everything hanging for the ceiling. Once in Tenn. got a free meal for explaining what everything hanging on the ceiling an walls did to a group of kids.

My first home made go cart I used the engine from the maytag wringer wash machine, the foot peddle had broken an Dad replaced the whole engine as it smoke bad. I rebuilt it fixed the pedal an used it for almost 2 years. First time I cranked it the throttle was about 1/4 open, had to chase it down, but it hit the tree an started digging a hole. Learned a lot about gas engines an what not to do with that thing. LOL

Last edited:
Sad to say I remember all 25. I'm one of those guys who can stand in Cracker Barrel an give a dissertation on most everything hanging for the ceiling. Once in Tenn. got a free meal for explaining what everything hanging on the ceiling an walls did to a group of kids.

My first home made go cart I used the engine from the maytag wringer wash machine, the foot peddle had broken an Dad replaced the whole engine as it smoke bad. I rebuilt it fixed the pedal an used it for almost 2 years. First time I cranked it the throttle was about 1/4 open, had to chase it down, but it hit the tree an started digging a hole. Learned a lot about gas engines an what not to do with that thing. LOL

Hmmm..........I'm old, but I never knew gasoline powered washing machines existed. Looked it up and low and behold;

Reactions: Bender
Oh, fuck, I passed the test with flying colors and could put in much more.
I am older than dirt and just about remember when Christ was a corporal, I think he was bustin rock to make dirt.
Good memories, and it is a shame our Utes didn't know of it, or maybe not?
My Grandchildren come around and always want to know what GrandPaPa is going to show them how to build.
May be how to take out a beaver dam or some such shit with what you have at the house.
We live in an age now where the kids don't understand all of that shit, but I do my best to pass it along.
Regards, FM

Maggot, did you get caught peeking ?

There was no peeking to it. Pay your $00.25 and you got in didnt matter how old you were. It was kind of a "Dont ask dont tell sorta thing." Nobody would say anything because they were there too and all you had to do was run your mouth and their wife/girlfriend/mom would know.

What that girl could do with a cigar.....

Only fast food we had until I was a teenager... was KFC. And that was 55 miles away. Didn't eat my first McDonalds until 14. Didn't know what Burger King was until I was 16. And I'm only 53. But here in Mayberry... things were a little behind you citified folks.

I'm going to go through that list... because it's pretty cool. Yeah, sure, spam. But I like it!

Cheers,

Sirhic

P.S. 18.... But I'll quote a T-shirt that I remember a friend in High School wearing.... "Vermont is what America Was." That was in 1982. When we were in about 1962... really. When I left VT for North Carolina and points South... it was like some kind of martian world. To put things in perspective... in High School... going to Burlington to ride the ONLY escalator in the state... was still a novelty. Until I was in 10th grade... the only things I got to wear were Keds (summer) Boots (winter) and Toughskins. Not jeans. No jeans. We were not allowed jeans by our parents. I got my first pair of Jeans in 1980.... Same year I got an Agricultural drivers license... at 15. Farm kids got all the breaks. Yes... things have changed a lot. Including taking our deer rifles to school and dropping them off in the principle's office... having hunted our way to school... and then hunting our way home.... how many of you got up at 5 am... deer hunted four miles to school.... then got out of school at 3... hunted four miles home. And dropped your deer rifles off at school? Oh and our school had a place for horses. Because some kids rode to school. Me included, on occasion.... growing up on a horse farm. Oh and having horses as a kid sucked... because guess who took care of them? It sucked right up until about age 15... when all the little hot girls named Megan wanted to come over and ride. Guess who got his pick of hot teenies named Megan? Screw the Suburbs!

Last edited:
Reactions: fx77
Air raid drills in school where you had to get under your desk
Rumors of Russia experimenting with germ warfare every time the flu went around knocking on doors and collecting pop bottles for spending money
Paper drives at school to raise money for the sports program
Riding my bike 5 miles to baseball practice twice per week

Reactions: fx77 and Dewey7271
Knocking on doors hope for gigs like Mowing lawns, pulling weeds, raking leaves for spending money

Air raid drills in school where you had to get under your desk
Rumors of Russia experimenting with germ warfare every time the flu went around knocking on doors and collecting pop bottles for spending money
Paper drives at school to raise money for the sports program
Riding my bike 5 miles to baseball practice twice per week

We had "Duck and Cover" in elementary school. Probably the last class that did. Plattsburgh AFB was close... a primary target. We were all dead anyway.

Good one!

Cheers,

Sirhr

We were given Brylcreem to slick up for sunday school/church ect.
Parents bought us a bicycle to get to practice/school or wherever we wanted to go.
I remember the first McDonalds earlyish 70's.
Was as little young for party lines in these parts.
We thought we had the shit when we got these for the phone:
71NK1KogJcL._SL1500_.jpg

Later this was high tech:
4104K7YV9VL.jpg

Growing up small town USA was pretty good, we just didn't know it.
First vehicle I drove had a 3 on the tree.

R

Parents bought us a bicycle to get to practice/school or wherever we wanted to go.
71NK1KogJcL._SL1500_.jpg

4104K7YV9VL.jpg

R
First car I drove had a fluid drive clutch. You could put it in high gear an just hold the throttle down an it would start moving. Although for the first 10 feet you had to set stakes to see if it did in fact move. Then I drove a 55 Chevy that had the "No Roller" added, that thing was cool your could do all kids of burn outs with that if you knew how to set it on level ground. Later they came out with a line lock for the front brakes, an street drag racing took on a whole new theme. Much later the trans brake can out an the rest is history.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rthur
If you lived in a larger city:

Ragman truck
Juiceman truck
Knifeman cart w/ding dong bell
Good Humer truck
Ice truck
Coal truck

Every firehouse had a Dalmatian dog

Reactions: fx77
71NK1KogJcL._SL1500_.jpg

4104K7YV9VL.jpg

R

Those long cords were hella difficult to lay your hands on back then. If you had one, you WERE the shit !

Reactions: Rthur
There was no peeking to it. Pay your $00.25 and you got in didnt matter how old you were. It was kind of a "Dont ask dont tell sorta thing." Nobody would say anything because they were there too and all you had to do was run your mouth and their wife/girlfriend/mom would know.

What that girl could do with a cigar.....

My grandfather was the town cop, my grandmother ran the town gossip mill. I couldn't get away with shit!
And I remember all 25 + some;
Penny candy
17c a gallon gas
23c a pack cigarettes
Kick start only motorcycles
KD sunglasses, still have a pair.

Reactions: fx77 and Foul Mike
My grandfather was the town cop, my grandmother ran the town gossip mill. I couldn't get away with shit!
And I remember all 25 + some;
Penny candy
17c a gallon gas
23c a pack cigarettes
Kick start only motorcycles
KD sunglasses, still have a pair.

How about cigarettes @$1.80 per carton and gas it $00.15 in Texas in 1969. And no ATF. Pay your $$$, get your gun, leave. Period.

Reactions: j-huskey
How about cigarettes @$1.80 per carton and gas it $00.15 in Texas in 1969. And no ATF. Pay your $$$, get your gun, leave. Period.
Yeah I was a gas pump jockey back in 69 in Norman, Oklahoma. 4 corner lighted intersection, a gas station at each corner, real gas wars. I got my cigarettes from a cigarette machine, cokes from a coke machine ( bottles) ,

How old are you???

'Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.

'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained. !

'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore, Levis , set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears & Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer.

I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 5. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.'
When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 4. It was an old black Dodge.

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phonein the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. My brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which he got to keep 2 cents. He had to get up at 6 am every morning.

On Saturday, he had to collect the 42 cents from his customers. His favorite customers were the ones who gave him 50 cents and told him to keep the change. His least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
Real ice boxes.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.
Older Than Dirt Quiz :

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about
Ratings at the bottom.

1 Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6 . Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines on the telephone
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels [if you were fortunate])
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S& H greenstamps
16 Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really OLD friends...
I remember them all, but I'm only 47. I grew up poor in a small farming community in southwest Oklahoma. I didn't realize at the time that we were at least 20 years behind the more modern parts of the world. The first whipping I vividly remember was for listening in to the party line at my grandmothers house.

Yeah I was a gas pump jockey back in 69 in Norman, Oklahoma. 4 corner lighted intersection, a gas station at each corner, real gas wars. I got my cigarettes from a cigarette machine, cokes from a coke machine ( bottles) ,

I spent a few days visiting friends in Norman in 70. Nice area....if youre a Sooner.

I am so old that we used to say the Pledge Of Allegiance in school

I am so old the Stormy Daniels wasn't even sperm!

I am so old that the tobacco in Monica Lewinsky's cigar was still seeds.

I am so old that Water Gate was an irrigation term

I am so old that I still have Kodak pictures of Foul Mike's Bar Mitzvah

I am so old that I remember Frank at 5'9 tall before the accident.

I am so old that I remember Veer when she was Veronica

Last edited:
Those damned caller ID boxes brought to an end the "Telephone Hours" where many kids got together and did phone pranks for entertainment.
Damn, we had a good time doing that and it was so hard to not giggle and give up the joke as you or your friend made the call.
How many of you are not guilty of doing that? and what were some of your better pranks on the tele? FM

Got all of them and the additional stuff.
Shit. I’m old I guess.
Sirhr we actually were the only ones allowed to wear jeans to school because farm kids got a break. Pissed everybody else off which made it even better.

Hello Misses Sanders.....yes.....Is your refrigerator running??? Yes it is........ Well you better go catch it. Endless giggles.

Party lines were the devils playground.

Those damned caller ID boxes brought to an end the "Telephone Hours" where many kids got together and did phone pranks for entertainment.
Damn, we had a good time doing that and it was so hard to not giggle and give up the joke as you or your friend made the call.
How many of you are not guilty of doing that? and what were some of your better pranks on the tele? FM
My buds son/friends pranked random numbers.
First try they got the local State policeman down the road.
He showed up...
Still laugh about that one.

R

Caller ID means nothing nowadays if you use internet software to make phone calls because you can disguise your number to be any number you want.

That old truck with the starter-button on the floor that I was talking about? That there is the first and only vehicle I've been in that had a crank on the windshield. Right there in the center, you can crank on it, and the bottom of the windshield 'rolled out' so that you get a beauty of a draft coming in under the glass.

Biggest thing that I remember though, pretty much everywhere, was that firearms were everywhere. Right out there, in the open. And nobody played/screwed with them. Hell, my grandfather, great-uncle, and dad used to shoot .22's in the basement. They would shoot the pips out of playing cards. Then when they were done, they'd play shuffleboard and drink.

And drink.

And drink.

The times, they've sure 'a-changed'.