• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How Pathetic is This?

_Shay_

thing 2
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2009
USA
I graduated High School today. During the practice of the Ceremony, our principal made a point of saying we were not allowed to take off our caps for the National Anthem. 6 of my buddies, 5 of us enlisted in the Military, decided to go against this. I found it completely disrespectful not to, and even though it was part of a uniform, it does not even come close to outweighing the symbolism and pride we hold in the flag.

flag.jpg

There is a picture that was taken during the National Anthem. I find it absolutely pathetic that we were told to be disgraceful to the Nations colors.

Just ranting, carry on.

Have a good weekend, Gentlemen,

Shay

Re: How Pathetic is This?

Being a true patriot is the willingness to stand up for what you believe in despite opposition...

I get your anger, But it's their choice regardless of what anyone thinks. Thou I didn't notice the hats until I read, instead I noticed the guy with his hand behind his back.

My ceremony rant:
but atleast you had your ceremony inside, mine was outside and hot as hell. But i think the graduation ceremony should just be a party that you can legally drink at, as oppose to this horribly long wait in which you get a piece of paper and have to listen to people give terrible speeches.
But I'm guessing not many people would approve of a graduation ceremony being just a fun party full of drinking. And if your think hey afterwards there one a lot of the time, I had work.

This is my idea of a constructive protest unlike the whiners here in Chicago.

It made me really mad when he told us not to, but we did what we knew what was right.

(Shay and I are the ones that look alike)

What's this, a highschooler that thinks he has it all figured out... You don't say
whistle.gif

Some are secure enough in their beliefs that they don't need to put them on display for the public, nor do they find the need to be offended every chance they get.

If your beliefs would have you taking off a cap as a symbol of respect for your country, then so be it, but let it be because it is what you believe and not because it is what others would have you believe.

Blind obedience is willful ignorance at best

Congratulations on your graduation and GOOD for you and the others that removed their hats. Best of luck with your military time and the rest of your lives. Regards, FM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's this, a highschooler that thinks he has it all figured out... You don't say
whistle.gif

Some are secure enough in their beliefs that they don't need to put them on display for the public, nor do they find the need to be offended every chance they get.

If your beliefs would have you taking off a cap as a symbol of respect for your country, then so be it, but let it be because it is what you believe and not because it is what others would have you believe.

Blind obedience is willful ignorance at best</div></div>

WTF?

Good for you all. Don't let them tell you all how you honor your country.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's this, a highschooler that thinks he has it all figured out... You don't say
whistle.gif

Blind obedience is willful ignorance at best </div></div>

Excuse me Sir, but when did we say we had this all figured out? As for putting this on 'display for public' we just did what we knew was right.

It's simple really, if you're going to stand for a cause, all I ask is that you are doing it with a true understanding and belief of the cause, and that you do it without alienating others.

I.E. Do you insist on taking the cap off because it is what your grandfather told you to do, and/or your father, or a drill sergeant... Thus blindly following what someone forced on you without an understanding.

Or, do you understand the symbolism and what said act represents and choose under your own power & intellect to believe it and display it as a representation of self.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's simple really, if you're going to stand for a cause, all I ask is that you are doing it with a true understanding and belief of the cause, and that you do it without alienating others.

I.E. Do you insist on taking the cap off because it is what your grandfather told you to do, and/or your father, or a drill sergeant... Thus blindly following what someone forced on you without an understanding.

Or, do you understand the symbolism and what said act represents and choose under your own power & intellect to believe it and display it as a representation of self. </div></div>
We talked to our parents before and all they said was "do what you think is right." No one told us to, we chose to.

Perfect, I just wish to promote a generation that can think for themselves.

And the highschooler comment was a jab based on the ole; "teenagers Think they have it all figured out" saying you hear from parents, and teachers, and principals...

whistle.gif

Blind obedience is willful ignorance at best </div></div>

Not once did I say I have it all figured out, as I am far from it.

Others have not influenced my beliefs. I have always been Patriotic and Supportive of the country ever since I can remember.

Finding offense in every little aspect, once again, Not I.

I believe in Patriotism and Supporting the Military and Nation. It's what I do. No one has driven their beliefs into myself, or my twin, it's just how we grew up to be.

No one has told me how to believe or behave, I take that upon myself to be a respectful member of today's youth.

With that, I wish you all have a great weekend!

Why do you assume the boy cant think for himself. Obviously he can and has inititiative and heart and loves this country which is pretty rare in this generation. And for the next year he needs to think less and do what the fuck hes told. And thats what Marines need, Strong men that fight and do what the fuck their told, not fuckers who run their fucking smart mouth. A fucking smart mouth aint gonna outsmart a bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perfect, I just wish to promote a generation that can think for themselves.

And the highschooler comment was a jab based on the ole; "teenagers Think they have it all figured out" saying you hear from parents, and teachers, and principals... </div></div>

And who are you to lecture as if you "have it all figured out"? Your attempt to give life lessons as some wanna be fatherly figure educating the youth is coming off more as an over-the-hill condescending coffee house professor on some soap box. You shouldn't be jabbing at anyone period for standing up for something that they already stated they believed in and should try taking a man at his word. And if that doesn't work for you, the last time I checked... you weren't their father.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this matter and that is the great thing about this country. We do not remove our dress cover or helmets for the National Anthem but when I am in a ball cap or cowboy hat I do. I don't know that I could consider a graduation cap and gown a uniform and therefore I agree with your choice to do so.

Regardless of this whole post and issue remains the fact that the two of you graduated and that is something to be proud of. Congratulations and I hope you each find success in your chosen paths. Should that path include service to this country I hope you stay safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's simple really, if you're going to stand for a cause, all I ask is that you are doing it with a true understanding and belief of the cause, and that you do it without alienating others.

Or, do you understand the symbolism and what said act represents and choose under your own power & intellect to believe it and display it as a representation of self. </div></div>

Go back to Russia ya commie
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perfect, I just wish to promote a generation that can think for themselves.

And the highschooler comment was a jab based on the ole; "teenagers Think they have it all figured out" saying you hear from parents, and teachers, and principals...</div></div>

Has anyone told you that you're a damn douche canoe? Instead of congratulating him for doing what's right by respecting the flag, you choose to lecture him in a condescending manner? What a jackass you are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharfshutze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you assume the boy cant think for himself. Obviously he can and has inititiative and heart and loves this country which is pretty rare in this generation. And for the next year he needs to think less and do what the fuck hes told. And thats what Marines need, Strong men that fight and do what the fuck their told, not fuckers who run their fucking smart mouth. A fucking smart mouth aint gonna outsmart a bullet. </div></div>
Thank you.

Right....

Look at the title, and tell me who is being condescending or a know it all...

Here's the thing, when someone does something because it is what they believe is right based on having an understanding of said belief, you seldom if ever find them seeking approval.

As in, coming on a board and posting a thread such as this, imposing your beliefs on others, as if theirs are not valid.

This post wreaks of needing a pat on the back, so it brings into question why he really did this.

Out of publicity, or out of true belief.

Now I got an answer from them, they say it was out of their own fruition that they did this, if so, I commend them, however, this thread is kind of in bad taste regardless.

There could have been more tact displayed.

In other words, I kind of got offended by the title and seeming all knowing attitude of the OP.

I don't know it all, but I'm close
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perfect, I just wish to promote a generation that can think for themselves.

And the highschooler comment was a jab based on the ole; "teenagers Think they have it all figured out" saying you hear from parents, and teachers, and principals...</div></div>

Has anyone told you that you're a damn douche canoe? Instead of congratulating him for doing what's right by respecting the flag, you choose to lecture him in a condescending manner? What a jackass you are. </div></div>

It isn't what is right, it is what you believe is right.

There is a huge difference... asshole

Good on you guys for having the courage to go against the grain and standing up for something you believe in.

There is still hope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right....

Here's the thing, when someone does something because it is what they believe is right based on having an understanding of said belief, you seldom if ever find them seeking approval.

As in, coming on a board and posting a thread such as this, imposing your beliefs on others, as if theirs are not valid.

This post wreaks of needing a pat on the back, so it brings into question why he really did this.

Now I got an answer from them, they say it was out of their own fruition that they did this, if so, I commend them, however, this thread is kind of in bad taste regardless.

In other words, I kind of got offended by the title and seeming all knowing attitude of the OP.

laugh.gif
</div></div>

douchebag.jpeg

The problem with you Killshot, is that you're taking the easy way out...

I know this is a heavily biased board, so does Shay, hence the thread.

He knew he would get heavy support here... but that doesn't mean I can't reason for the other side, even though I may very well believe what he did was right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right....

laugh.gif
</div></div>

If anyone's post wreaks of seeking praise it's yours. You come in here trying to play Guidance Counselor as if you're somehow more enlightened than others. They didn't seek your approval or alleged "wisdom" but here comes your retarded ass trying to play dad and questioning their motives. And the only thing you should be anywhere close to is a broken nose... and don't bring up tact unless your name is pot or kettle...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem with you Killshot, is that you're taking the easy way out...

I know this is a heavily biased board, so does Shay, hence the thread.

He knew he would get heavy support here... but that doesn't mean I can't reason for the other side, even though I may very well believe what he did was right.

</div></div>

Easy way out? Do tell how I'm taking the fuckin easy way out! I have never served my country in uniform but I'll be damned if anyone is gonna tell me not to remove my fuckin hat for the pledge of allegiance or national anthem. Why? Because out of respect for all who have died for those colors, I OWE them that much at least. It's not because anyone expects it because I can give a fuck less what anyone else expects. I do it out of love and respect for my country, the flag, all who have served, and those who continue to place themselves in harms way to protect the freedom that the vast majority of the world craves. You're a piece of shit.

Oh, you just don't see what I'm doing, the humor mixed with the point at hand, your anger is clouding your objectivity.

Even more pathetic is the brawl in the SB going on right now ...

Shay, Rory, good job.

Congratulations on both Graduating AND standing up for what YOU believe in.

Lastly, I also commend you both, for having the tact to not tell some individuals here to shut-the-hell-up, to go piss on someone else's thread, and to shove it up their ass's.

Simply because, if you're anything like me ( and so many others around here ) I know you're wanting to.

So good job. Continue to bide your time, and your tongue. It'll show the maturity that you have.

Like me.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shay, Rory, good job.

Congratulations on both Graduating AND standing up for what YOU believe in.

Lastly, I also commend you both, for having the tact to not tell some individuals here to shut-the-hell-up, to go piss on someone else's thread, and to shove it up their ass's.

Simply because, if you're anything like me ( and so many others around here ) I know you're wanting to.

So good job. Continue to bide your time, and your tongue. It'll show the maturity that you have.

Like me.
wink.gif
</div></div>
Thanks Sean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
calling4life said:
No one has told me how to believe or behave, I take that upon myself to be a respectful member of today's youth.</div></div>

I see you have a bible qoute... Heres my question were you raised into it or were you given options an choose it.

And i leave this section of the forum only to return when new things are posted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheNewRoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
calling4life said:
No one has told me how to believe or behave, I take that upon myself to be a respectful member of today's youth.</div></div>

I see you have a bible qoute... Heres my question were you raised into it or were you given options an choose it.

And i leave this section of the forum only to return when new things are posted. </div></div>
Our parents never forced us to believe in anything, we had the choice. So, again, it was our own choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheNewRoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
calling4life said:

And i leave this section of the forum only to return when new things are posted. </div></div>

I was given the option. My parents gave me a choice of which path I wanted to follow, and as you can see from my sig, you can see the path I have chosen.

Does that path push alienating others for their beliefs?

Because labeling others as pathetic because they are afforded the freedom to keep their cap on is a gross contradiction of the idea that by taking yours off you are somehow more patriotic and I think my shoe is untied to the right but not now....

Wait What?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheNewRoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
calling4life said:

I was given the option. My parents gave me a choice of which path I wanted to follow, and as you can see from my sig, you can see the path I have chosen. </div></div>

Good man, way to stand up for what you believe in. Glad to see that my generation has some people of true character.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does that path push alienating others for their beliefs?

Because labeling others as pathetic because they are afforded the freedom to keep their cap on is a gross contradiction of the idea that by taking yours off you are somehow more patriotic and I think my shoe is untied to the right but not now....

Wait What?

</div></div>

Alienating? Not trying to, but I've never been good with words. What I found pathetic was the fact that our Principal told us not to take off our caps, not the fact that others did not remove theirs.

Hey, I'm all for standing up for what you believe, hell, I took a bit of a beating on this one, but I believe the argument/point needed to be made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shay and brother; Why do you guys have a copyright and trademark stamp next to your handles?
</div></div>

Mostly because it looks neat, honestly.

Congradulations Shay and Rory, I took off my cap during graduation as well, but I was not told I can't.

As for the whole argument going on, I believe Killshot has it right (vulgar language aside) these boys weren't seeking approval or a lecture on their beliefs, they were just posting about something that happened to them, coming in and lecturing them IS condescending and in my opinion disrespectful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, I'm all for standing up for what you believe
</div></div>
As long as it doesnt offend anyone. Or comes off as condescending. Or alienate other beliefs. Or impose on someone elses beliefs. Or lacks tact. Or is praise-seeking.

Did I miss any?

calling4life said:

Heres my question to you. Were you born liking penis or were you coereced to like it or choose it after experimenting..
Go troll somewhere somewhere else you fucking emo..

I must say, as for arguing against the principal telling you that you cannot take the cap off, I agree wholeheartedly with that being wrong.

I attended my college graduation a couple weeks back and we were forced to "fall in line" in ways that even went against what we were taught at that institution.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharfshutze</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheNewRoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
calling4life said:

Heres my question to you. Were you born liking penis or were you coereced to like it or choose it after experimenting..
Go troll somewhere somewhere else you fucking emo..

</div></div>Classy post! I like how <span style="font-style: italic">he</span> is the troll.

I don't see why the moral fiber of our country, the way it used to be and the good ideas and principles it was built on has to change because of other people's beliefs being forced on us as Americans. Some say respect other people's beliefs and customs but why can't they do the same and leave ours alone. Stop changing the ideals that made our country what it is, or was. Why should we have to change so much and conform to what others want. You respect me and mine and I'll respect yours.

I like the old America. Stand up, take your hat off and look at the flag while thinking of all the generations that came before you that built this country. The soldiers that fought and those that died for what they thought was right, to save innocent people from evil or just doing what they were told to do to get the job done or at least try. I say thank a soldier when you see him, say yes ma'm and yes sir, respect your elders, open doors for ladies whether they like it or not.

Glad you guys took your hats off and I'm proud of you for doing it. I can't believe there were so few of you and it definitely saddens me to see that. I'm not that old, 33, but things have changed a lot since I was your age and I don't really like where things are headed. I don't think everyone has to follow what we did as old school Americans. I understand we have a lot of people who were not born here and people who do not have the same beliefs we do but I really can't believe how few respectful, classic American kids there seem to be these days.

This is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own. I don't think anyone should talk down on a young man who chose to do what he thought is right. I don't see 6 guys in that picture who acted like sheep and did something because someone forced it on them at all. I see six young men who respect their country and all it took to build it and who were willing to stand up for what they believe in regardless of what anyone else thought or told them.

for my graduation a teacher lead in prayer...in a public school, you cant always expect people to do the right thing.