• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

how precise is the RCBS little dandy

Schleifalot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2006
Bavarian Forrest, Germany
Hi folks,
soon I will beginn to load for my USP tactical .45 ACP. I use the uniflow with a large cylinder for my 308, but I think it is too crude for 5,0 to 5,1 grs of VV N320 powder.

A friend gave me some rounds with
195 grs LSWC, 5,0 grs N320, slight taper crimp. And they shot just great!

Is the little dandy accurate enough for this load? Vihtavuori recommends with N320 min load 4,7 grs, max load 5,1 grs. So the margin for error is pretty thin.

Re: how precise is the RCBS little dandy

Accurate as in repeatable, or accurate as in the particular rotor throws what their chart says? Because if your asking about the latter, it's a hit or miss proposition. Might as well buy three rotors: one at the charge weight you want, one just under and one just over. By the time you're done, you'll spend $150. Might as well get a Redding 10x pistol measure. It has the teeny metering cavity and is micrometer adjustable.

Accurate as in repeatable. I want to go cheaper than buying the very best = expensive. I want to spend more money on ammo than on equipment.

Get a small cylinder for your Uniflow. They all used to come with both a large and a small, so there are thousands out there.

AG

I use one to throw buffer for reduced loads. I bought it used with several rotors. To get the correct volume, I drilled one rotor until I got what I wanted. Another I filled the hole with epoxy and drilled to the appropriate size. Haven't used the third. As with any manual thrower, repeatability depends on consistency.

I haven't used a Lil Dandy but do have a Lyman Accurmeaser, virtually the same thing.

Asking about the "accuracy" or "repeatability" of such measures is a bit off target. There are two things that affect it much more than the basic design; Consistancy of operation AND the type of powder.

Most any measure will meter ball powders like water, few are very good with ocarse powders. Flakes are better than tubular but not as good as ball types.

I suspect your measure will do very well for the needs you mention,IF you have the proper bushing for the charge. The reason I got the Lyman instead of the Dandy is that Lyman offered a package of brass powder bushings for a rational price. Never regreted that decision, partly because the charges dropped are rarely what the table says they will be, so I just find one that gets close enough and go!

Thank you all.
Problem solved, because there was none.

I bought the powder (N 320) and tested it in the uniflow.
30 loads of 4,8 grs
30 loads of 5,0 grs
All came out satisfactory within less than 0,1 grs.
Then I threw 10 loads of 5,0 grs into the scale. They measured 50,2 grs, that is less than 0,5% too much.
My Uniflow is accurate and repeatable enough.
The only issue is the different adjustment between my .308 and .45 load. I think I will survive that burden ;o)