• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing How predictable are mulies?

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
Kind of an open ended question but I see people say on videos that they glassed this big buck right at dark or "put him to bed" and then returned the next morning to find him "close" to the same area and make the shot.

I realize that "close" is a relative term but it seems to me that good mulies like good WT are far less predictable than this.

Any experienced MD hunters out there that can offer some pointers to the rest of us on the habits of MD and things we might watch for when trying to locate a buck that we have seen in an area before?

Re: How predictable are mulies?

When not chasing some ass you can usally find them in an approxamate area that you saw them in. When they are in the booty call mode all bets are off they can move miles

Sarpybucks9-4-10015.jpg

I found this buck this past friday evening the day before archery season opened. I had forgot my camera and spotting scope mount. I was back in the same spot at dawn the next morning and he was still in the same area with nine other bucks. I chose not to make a play on him as I'd seen an even larger buck about 1/2 mile from this one right before dark and was hoping to get a crack at him...he never showed.

The older they are, the more unpredictable they are in my opinion. Especially when they go out of velvet. They like to stay close to or in the heavy brush or timber as much as possible.

My advice is if you have a good one located, stick with your game plan and be patient. Dont push a bad move and chance buggering him. They have and use their home range just like every other wild animal does and will eventually show up where you saw him.

An old, wise mule deer buck is a great adversary...every bit as cunning as an old whitetail buck.

The buck in the picture was 140 meters from me when I got the best pics. I was in a hidden spot with the wind in my favor. When I first saw them they were 600 meters out and working their way towards the timber where I was for the day.

Sarpybucks9-4-10014.jpg

This one will go probably 190" B&C....the one that didnt show was an honest 200"+ buck.

My friends are telling me I'm crazy for passing on this buck.....If I happen to get the big one you'll know why I passed. Heading over there on thursday for another three days. Hoping to get a picture of him on the hoof at least.

Good luck on that, I hope you find him and connect. My experience has been, right about the time I can whack one, they find some new property on an adjacent mountain range, or at the bottom of a mine shaft.
smile.gif

Oil workers f___ed up our unit 2 years ago
mad.gif
but its coming back around now. mulies in our unit move alot not that predictable.

My son and I just got back from the Hayden Colorado area after chasing them with bows and they seemed anything BUT predictable to me. Fun hunt, alot of deer, but too many does made it terribly difficult to get to the bucks.

Some good comments....yes Pat, you're crazy but its a crazy I understand. Once a guy has some success at this sport, it makes it a little easier to raise the bar.

For the past few years I have been looking for a better MD. They tend to be in the same general area but have not been able to put it all together during hunting season.

I saw this one a couple of years ago and let him walk hoping he'd get a little better. Seen several others of similar size but not when I could close the deal.

5x5Muliewithadoeat285yds.jpg

I found a steep hillside with deep cover and blow downs they like to lay in but almost impossible to hunt without tipping them off.

Trying to figure out a way to get to them but they never seem to do the same thing twice during hunting season for me. Sort of stumped right now.

I wish big whitetail would stand around at close range and look at you the way the few mule deer I've seen have done.

Actually this buck is 283 yards away and did not know I was there. I should have taken a through the scope picture but I did not think of it. I see nice bucks in this spot but this one is the only one during season or legal shooting time.

Any thoughts on how to hunt steep canyon walls with good cover and the prevailing wind (NW) in the deers favor?