• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How probable is this?

FF_T_Warren

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2010
Louisiana, United States
Ok some guy told me a couple weeks back that he has a browning A-bolt 7mm w/ swarovski scope. He said the rifle is bedded and blueprinted and has a B.O.S.S.(which lets you tune your rifle to the round you choose to use). I'm new to long range shooting and everything so I figured I would ask you pros about this. I've never heard of B.O.S.S. but thats not what my question is about. He said at 500yds., he is holding a 1.25" group. Thats .25 MOA. Is this really possible/probable with a hunting rifle?

And if the guy who told me this reads this, I'm not trying to call you out or something, I'm just not sold on this without getting some opinions from people that know more than I do on this kind of stuff

Re: How probable is this?

1.25" AT 500 YDS The guy is one HELL of a shot! How many shots in the group??

didnt say, just said using hand loads and the info stated above. but from the way he talked, he acted like that was consistent as long as he let the barrel cool. I mean I understand that there are guns out there that can do this all day long but they cost a pretty penny and have alot of work done to them and I just found it hard to believe to get that accuracy from a couple hundred dollar hunting rifle.

It's possible he's gotten that kind of a group a time or two. A rifle and more importantly shooter capable of consistently doing that day in and day out would absolutely rule the roost in 600 yard benchrest. A lot of guys will get one tight 3 shot cluster and declare they have a 1/4 minute gun.

It's possible. Have seen a $300 rifle out shoot a $2K rifle in the same hands. That being said it would be tough to swallow "All day, every day." as 500yds is where little things really begin to have an effect.

Cheers,

Doc

Consistently? I'd say he is making up big stories. Seems to be a common theme around here nowadays.
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's possible. <span style="font-weight: bold">Have seen a $300 rifle out shoot a $2K rifle in the same hands.</span> That being said it would be tough to swallow "All day, every day." as 500yds is where little things really begin to have an effect.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

at what distance are you talking about?

I just sold a rifle claiming that it will hold 1/2 minute groups with handloads if a propper cleaning cycle is used. That being said: don't think for one minute that I didn't include targets to prove my claims.

Like the other fella said: one tight group does not a tack-driver make, and even a broken clock is right twice a day. Without targets to support the claim, don't waste your time on a too-good-to-be-true statement.

I'd ask for proof, and not just one group of three shots cut out on paper either.

I can shoot 1.25" 1 shot groups at 500 yards all day long but that would open up a bit with a BOSS. I think the BOSS was a piece of crap but I have never owned one. Just heard a lot of bitching from people that did own one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trey Warren</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's possible. <span style="font-weight: bold">Have seen a $300 rifle out shoot a $2K rifle in the same hands.</span> That being said it would be tough to swallow "All day, every day." as 500yds is where little things really begin to have an effect.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

at what distance are you talking about? </div></div>

Out to 600. It was a bone stock rack grade Savage hunting stick in a tupperware stock that would just flat out shoot from the box. It beat the snot out of a Remmy custom shop stick w/ fancy wood, bedding and gold inlay. Hand loads to get the best accuracy on both, good optics on both, slow shooting, same day and same driver with a vested interest in making both perform. The Remmy shot respectably but the Savage shot exceptionally. The Savage just kicked the Remmy's a$$. Sometimes it happens.

Cheers,

Doc

Possible...yes. Probable...not likely. I am not calling anyone untruthful, but with claims like that...the shooter better have some proof to back it up more than just "because I said so."

i.e. - Dated, witnessed groups noting range, conditions, rifle, load, etc. Groups more than 3 rounds (at least 5 round groups would be preferable...although I like oldgratone's tip on the 1-round groups...I may have to try that.)
wink.gif
Also, a series of times that the rifle has performed to that level are a must. Like everyone has said...sometimes things happen and a rifle MAY be able to do a one-time, 1/4MOA group...that doesn't mean it is a 1/4MOA rifle.

Here is a link to another thread on the forum that has been going through this debate:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=155704&Number=1710166

I don't see any problem with the claim that he shot it once.

But I'd havta be there to see it happen two or three times, and I'd buy his, but no other A-bolt on the witnessing of it.

I have an A Bolt in .243, never shot over 200 yards but at that distance it was pretty impressive using factory Winchester 95gr Silvertips. At 100 yards it was about 3/4" and I'm sure it can do better in the right hands

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ED5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an A Bolt in .243, never shot over 200 yards but at that distance it was pretty impressive using factory Winchester 95gr Silvertips. At 100 yards it was about 3/4" and I'm sure it can do better in the right hands </div></div>

Not bad groupings for deer hunting but that aint holding a match to this claim. you saying 3/4 at 100 he's claiming not even twice that at 5 times the distance.