• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

How screwed am I?

mi650

Undergrad Rifle Shooter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 30, 2010
    Michigan
    Savage Axis .22-250. I've been wanting to get rid of the plastic stock it came in, ordered a Boyds At-One a couple months ago from DVOR.

Turns out I ordered a LA instead of SA. :poop: It fits with a little work. Can I get away with using a LA mag?

According to Boyds, no other parts are needed, but of course, the mag I have won't work.

Qmcraw7.jpg

Is there a reason you can't send it back and order the correct short action?
    Yea, ordering it from DVOR. If you aren't familiar, they're a clearance site for Optics Planet, and don't keep things in stock.

Yea, ordering it from DVOR. If you aren't familiar, they're a clearance site for Optics Planet, and don't keep things in stock.
    You can still return it, might have to get the SA elsewhere but I'd return it and get the right one.

Reactions: Stingerup
    You can still return it, might have to get the SA elsewhere but I'd return it and get the right one.
    It's a little beyond the 30 days, but I might still be able to return it.

Regardless, they don't give refunds, only store credit. Even when it's their mistake. BTDT. Took me a while to get over that one.

It's a little beyond the 30 days, but I might still be able to return it.

Regardless, they don't give refunds, only store credit. Even when it's their mistake. BTDT. Took me a while to get over that one.
    Yeah, I have ordered a bunch of stuff from them theough the years. They've yet to not let me return something so I'd give it a shot

Reactions: camocorvette
    Yeah, I have ordered a bunch of stuff from them theough the years. They've yet to not let me return something so I'd give it a shot
    May try and go that route. I'm going to need a mag either way, so I was hoping a LA mag would work.

Savages are all long action aren't they? I thought the bolt throw is what determined whether it was LA or SA.

Savages are all long action aren't they? I thought the bolt throw is what determined whether it was LA or SA.
    Sadly no and depending on the vintage are different lengths.

The Axis receiver only comes in a long action length. The bolt shroud can be rotated 180 degrees to lengthen/shorten the bolt throw.

I suspect you could get a LA mag and make it work, but not sure how a .22-250 would feed.

Put the question up on Savage Shooters as someone surely has tried this before...

You should be return it or just sell it to someone that needs it.
    Yea, it's going back.

If it was a Rem 700 stock, I'd probably try and sell it. An Axis will probably take too long, and go too cheap.

Isn't the right answer here to buy a LA Axis to go with that stock?

Reactions: Aftermath
    I know it costs more, but I'd look to an oryx chassis. Much better stock.
    Yes it is, I have 1. And thanks for the heads up!

It's not so much the price, but finding anything to fit this rifle.

First off take a deep breath and relax. Next, think kind thoughts about your wife as she went so far as to buy you something that feeds your habit/passion and didn't buy you something like a wheel barrow or a weed eater. In other words something 'that we need' or something 'for the house'.

Now we get to the interesting part. To keep the peace with you S.O. you could surreptitiously send it back and try and exchange it. Unless she is really attuned to what you have in your arsenal the exchange may go unnoticed.

If the above suggestion makes you feel like you would be committing a crime against humanity or the sanctity of your marriage, then work with what you have.

Not the same situation but similiar is a Winchester 670 that I purchased (a long time ago) in .243 cal. should have been a short action but in reality was a long action that was blocked at the factory. Eventually, when the action was re-barreled in 30-06 for Palma Matches, it was an easy conversion for my gunsmith. That probably doesn't help you in your particular case now, but at least you can think of your glass being half full if you ever go to a longer cartridge.

Reactions: mi650
    The long action mag won’t work. The rounds will shift forward in recoil. That is the key. ….and generally rounds do shift forward under recoil. This will trap the nose under the action and jam it up solid. You need a replacement stock.

The long action mag won’t work. The rounds will shift forward in recoil. That is the key. ….and generally rounds do shift forward under recoil. This will trap the nose under the action and jam it up solid. You need a replacement stock.
    That's mainly what I was afraid of. The Boyds has been sent back, haven't decided on a replacement yet.

If you could find one that treats you as well as mine does me, you would.

S&B scope and Swaro ELs last Christmas, TT for my b-day last year... :cool:
    She's guilty of something.
    I'm not sure if I'd care, if I were you.