• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes How Screwed am I?

kchustle

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2011
OP, KS
I'm just getting in to the precision rifle side of things so I kept my budget pretty small for the glass knowing that I would upgrade if I really got into it. I mounted my scope, bore sighted it (old school looking down the bore style) and went to the range. Just looking through the glass I was happy. I started shooting at 50yds to make sure I was on paper and I was on the bullseye in 3 shots. Moved it to 100, made one more adjustment and started shooting. Somewhere in the first 40 shots I ended up with some debris in the scope. I used the cloth that came with the scope to clean the glass when I got home because I assumed it was on the outside. Nothing happened. So, there are definately particles inside the scope. None of it is actually interfering with the crosshairs but it is still annoying. So, how screwed am I? Do I need to send it back or is there some sort of another fix? I tried to get pictures but I couldn't really get anything worth while. It looks like the scraps of eraser that are left after you use an eraser on a pencil. 3 or 4 different pieces of whatever it is.

Thanks.

Re: How Screwed am I?

What scope do you have?

Mfg'er should take care of this under warranty.

What kind of scope? If it is not a POS, then take it off the rifle and smack it against a telephone book for a few good wacks and the suspended particles may dislodge and fall clear. If it is a cheap scope, proceed with caution.

Would help to know what type of scope it is.

This happens from time to time. Try banging the scope against a phone book. Sounds crazy but can jar the debris loose and solve the problem.

You might not be too screwed... high dollar scopes have the same problem from time to time. You can shoot it and see if they go away, or some will tell you to bang it on a phone book. You can always call the company you bought it from and ask them how you should handle it. Don't be too worried, not the first time this has happened to a scope. You do have options.

It is a millett. I didn't mention the name because I don't have a complaint with the company and I wanted a constructive opinion before people started telling me that I should have spent another $1,000!

So, I will call them but I may try the phone book thing as well. I know it isn't a high dollar scope but it feels like it is build like a tank.

Thanks.

Before you bang it on a telephone book, I'd take it out and shoot it 1 or 2 more times to see if the recoil of the rifle will knock it loose. Your scope your money...

Get what you pay for
smile.gif
All kidding aside just call Millet I would think they will take care of you.

Thanks guys. The good news is that Millett is right down the street (one of the reasons I went with their scope) so hopefully it won't be a big deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchustle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't mention the name because I don't have a complaint with the company and I wanted a constructive opinion before people started telling me that I should have spent another $1,000!</div></div>

Like you'd hear something like that on the Hide!

Shoot it a couple more times. If it persists send it back, they will take care of it, I'm sure.

Those flecks are probably pieces o the LAC (light absorbing coating) on the inside of the scope.