• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How Short for a 700P?

Sgt.Henry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2009
a shipping container, Kabul
I'm really not happy with my stock 700P and was thinking of Shortening the stock remington barrell, A local smith can cut & recrown for me and I was wondering what would be the best length?
I'm a LEO and most of my shooting is done 300yds and in. I do alot of baricade shooting and I would like the shorter barrel for that.

I was thinking 18 inches, any thoughts would be appreciated

Re: How Short for a 700P?

I cut my bbl down to 18.5". It handles very well and I liked the shorter length.

Original:
700P-with-NXS-Right.jpg

Cut down:
Remington700Pwith18inchbblRIGHT-1.jpg

Remington700Pwith18inchbblLEFT.jpg

With suppressor:
10-18-08-762-SDon700Pside.jpg

One final note, I lost about 150 fps going from 26" to 18.5".

Here's a comparison I did after running the shorter bbl over a chronograph using the same ammo I shot before I got it cut:
308-26to18inchdiff.gif

I had a 700P cut down to 20"... Used it at the range out to 300 yards, and also for hunting. Never had any regrets.

IMG_6998.jpg

in a VS I cut to 22" (from 26"), I lost on average 60fps. I'd anticipate atleast 100fps for a 20" giving that and the 20" LTR's chrono numbers.

Then there is the lost ballast on the muzzle end and your rest position does not change...stuck with the same taper and the COG moves rear-ward.

don't be such a girly man.... just do it...
of the 308's I have chronoed from a 24" to a 20" barrel it averages about 100fps lost

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stillbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't be such a girly man.... just do it...
of the 308's I have chronoed from a 24" to a 20" barrel it averages about 100fps lost </div></div>
SB, you're gonna be the cause of my Divorce one day! Hope your happy with yourself.

Thanks for the advice Fellows, I'll see about going 20"