• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How short to cut barrel?

akabaron

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2007
Tempe AZ
Hey, I have a remmington sps varmint in .308 and am having it cut and threaded for my AAC SD762 can. The factory bull barrel is 26" What is the shortest (I was thinking around 20") I could cut it with out any noticable velocity and accuracy loss? Any one do this and wish they cut it to a different legnth afterwards? Learn by mistakes. Whats your imput. I do load for it and would still like it acccurate out to at least 800m Right now its set up with a MK4 ELR with a milling ret.

Re: How short to cut barrel?

You will have a noticeable loss of velocity, no matter what, because you are cutting the same barrel.
wink.gif

Or, do you mean velocity loss with shorter barrel and can vs. longer barrel without can? Then it depends, among other things, on how well the can fits. 20" should work fine with that twist, depending on the ammo. I would say that you would be better off with 1 in 11 for anything shorter than 20", especially for the heavier bullets at reduced velocities. If you want to push the 220's, then you probably want a 1 in 10.

I've seen it done, but haven't done it myself. Anyone else?

I had a PSS I cut to 20" no problems. I am debating having my Kimber AT cut to 18.5" or just buying a new tube and putting it at 18.5 since I have a 22" .308 already.

5R cut to 20in. and like yourself am running 762SD.
Still able to get 2650fps out of FGMM 175.
Hand loads with the Federal cases ,44.3 Varget ,175 SMK,Std. OAL.running 2700 fps.
Keep in mind this is @6000 ft ALT. 40 DEG.
Bottom line is if you handload ,that 20in. won't be a big factor.
Factory ammo, will be a differnt story typically.

Cool, I guess 20 will be it. still waiting on my QD adapters to show up in the mail before it goes to the smith. Wait time is a month and will also have him clean up the trigger.