• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear How short would you go?

The efficiency of powder burn in the barrel is frigging unbelievable efficient in the short Stubby 6BR caliber . Doing handload for the lighter weight 68 grn. bullets . Having a 22" barrel I seen VERY faint almost zero muzzle flash in the dark.

6mm Heavies in 6BR and using slower powder . I be interested with velocity feedback anyone cutting down less than 20" barrel length.

Reactions: Slowbalt
From running 26”28” barrels to running a 22” in .223ai I am thinking about chopping all of my barrels. Lol.

I’m tired of guns not fitting in the unsafe, innthe truck, and carrying them long bastards around.

How short would you go for a PRS gun in 6BR, running 105/107gr? I am eyeing 22in+brake but want a sanity check.
I chopped a 26” 7mm RemMag (3,126 FPS MV load) down to 22.5” and changed to a slightly slower powder, stuffed more of it in the case, and ended up shooting noticeably better groups and still holding 2,936 FPS MV average with the same bullets, brass, and primers. The only thing I changed was the powder. I don’t regret the decision at all. To me, the added handiness of chopping the barrel 4” for running a suppressor was worth it. 👍🏼

Reactions: themightytimmah
Where does the chassis balance? It gets harder to balance a 22” any distance in front of the mag well, even with a comp contour.

Interested as well. I’m committed to shooting a suppressor and was curious if the br would be worth it at 22”. Currently have a 22” 6 creed barrel on there.

Interested as well. I’m committed to shooting a suppressor and was curious if the br would be worth it at 22”. Currently have a 22” 6 creed barrel on there.
The difference between a gt and br is roughly 120-150fps at similar pressures, so I'd say if you want to run a 22" with supressor and still be able to run 2900+ fps, either step up to a gt, x47 or cm. The gt is stupid easy to load for.

This is just a math questions

1. Balance point
2. Muzzle Velocity

How short would you go for a PRS gun in 6BR, running 105/107gr? I am eyeing 22in+brake but want a sanity check.
Are you changing out parts on an existing gun, or just playing around on a spreadsheet?
You can fix all that stuff, but its going to cost your $$$.

Reactions: lash
The difference between a gt and br is roughly 120-150fps at similar pressures, so I'd say if you want to run a 22" with supressor and still be able to run 2900+ fps, either step up to a gt, x47 or cm. The gt is stupid easy to load for.
What do you see as an achievable safe velocity in a 22” br?

I’m just a mid pack shooter looking to make the most out of barrels and components. Last two barrels being 6 creed don’t leave much on the table when it comes to keeping costs down.

I don’t plan on ever not using a suppressor again. And I don’t want to show up with something that’s not atleast a little competitive.

I’m just a mid pack shooter looking to make the most out of barrels and components. Last two barrels being 6 creed don’t leave much on the table when it comes to keeping costs down.

I don’t plan on ever not using a suppressor again. And I don’t want to show up with something that’s not atleast a little competitive.
6BR keeps cost down by only using 30gr of varget. The downside is you need a long barrel to get the 105 hybrid into its happy place.

Do you want to try and hit the 2900-2950 that seems to be the happy place for 6mm? You'll need to go longer.

Perfectly happy running a little slower? The 22" will be nice especially if running a can.

Basically comes down to what speed you wanna run but as mentioned just go to a bigger case if you need more speed.
Going from a 26 to a 22 I'd expect to lose 120-150fps

I'd be interested to see some data on shorter 6br barrels just to have that info on hand. I talked to wade stuteville when I was having him do my barrel, 24-28" is what he mentioned. We settled on 28 just to squeeze out some extra fps

Don’t forget that in many, if not most cases, you’ll get a speed boost from using a suppressor. Plus you’ll get the extra weight guys are touting. Speed is not everything and if you’re shooting in the East, generally 2750 is more than acceptable with 105 class bullets.

With a 22" and having an all weather safe load, mid 2700s is gonna be where you land. 26" is usually low to mid 2800s. The guys running 6br at 2900-2950 is a hot load and where a dasher is more comfortable. I ran my last 28" 6bra at 2920 with 105s and H4350, warm load. The new one is 2860 with varget.

Reactions: Taylorbok and lash