• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How should I have my Lawton Action/Barrel setup?

poison123

Gunny Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Jul 17, 2009
    US
    So I'm in contact with Lawton to get it built the way I want it. But I want to run it past you guys to see if there's any changes you would make.

So far I'm looking at the following:

7500(probably going to change) series SA Right Hand shooter, Stainless, with a 20 MOA base. With a 18" or 20" barrel, probably a 1/10 or 1/11 twist chambered for the .308 win.

I'd like to slap a jewel trigger and a AICS 2.0 stock on to it.

Is there anything else pertaining to the barrel I should think about? I basically want to shoot competitions out to 1k yards, and I will be rolling my own ammunition for this rifle.

Re: How should I have my Lawton Action/Barrel setup?

i have a 700 built by hd rifles with a heavy barrel in an AI 2.0 stock and the only thing i would change is deep fluting on the barrel to keep the weight down

I'd go with a 1:10 instead of the 1:11 twist to stabilize the heavier bullets our to longer ranges. Otherwise it sounds like a very nice package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go with a 1:10 instead of the 1:11 twist to stabilize the heavier bullets our to longer ranges. Otherwise it sounds like a very nice package. </div></div>

I'm planning on 168s for general, 175's for competition out to 600 yards, and no Idea for 1k+

For the 1k+ shooting I won't go into that, there's many guys here that can tell you how the 308 will run with different bullet weights. For the extra stability if you ever decide to put a can on the snout, the 1:10 will help you out more.

I would still go for the little bit faster twist, but with those bullet weights you will be OK with the 1:11

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the 1k+ shooting I won't go into that, there's many guys here that can tell you how the 308 will run with different bullet weights. For the extra stability if you ever decide to put a can on the snout, the 1:10 will help you out more.

I would still go for the little bit faster twist, but with those bullet weights you will be OK with the 1:11 </div></div>

Would the 1:10 hurt with those rounds? I plan on slapping a 762SD onto it.

I just got my Lawton in and it shoots like a dream!!

get the 7500 Action, Smooth as glass.
    20moa base
    And a 3 groove .308 barrel. Ive got a 3 groove on my 6.5 and its the best custom barrel Ive gotten so far.

Mabey even think abut a 6.5x47lap..

Jerid

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackhawk95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my Lawton in and it shoots like a dream!!

get the 7500 Action, Smooth as glass.
    20moa base
    And a 3 groove .308 barrel. Ive got a 3 groove on my 6.5 and its the best custom barrel Ive gotten so far.

Mabey even think abut a 6.5x47lap..

Jerid </div></div>

What kind of stock do you have this sitting in?

only thing i would change is the cal. I dont care much for the 308. There are better choices for sure! You asked so i gave my opinion. a 260rem would be a better choice for sure. 8 twist 130gr Berger ='s hard to beat. 6.5x47 with a 130gr Berger ='s kicking the crap out of a 308. again my opinion. Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">only thing i would change is the cal. I dont care much for the 308. There are better choices for sure! You asked so i gave my opinion. a 260rem would be a better choice for sure. 8 twist 130gr Berger ='s hard to beat. 6.5x47 with a 130gr Berger ='s kicking the crap out of a 308. again my opinion. Lee </div></div>

The competitions I would mainly shoot in don't allow 260, 6.5 etc.

Poison stick with the 11 twist and shoot 190's bergers out of it. They are prob on of the best all around bullets for the 308. The heavy stuff still might work in this. Maybe ever the 208 amax. Have no idea why anything heavier would do you any good. Couldn't launch it fast enough.

Poison.

Mine is in a Master Class F-class stock. So far i love it too.

Jerid

The 1:10 wouldn't cause any issues, but if you want to shoot 190's in cold weather it might get hairy for stability if you are using a 1:11.

This what you are talking about?

IMG_2573.jpg

Lawton 7000 repeater
    18" 3 groove barrel, 1:11
    20moa base

Shoots excellent, and by that I mean, better than I can. Wish I had more time to shoot it lately. It will claim some coyotes this fall for sure.

Yup that's more or less what I'm working towards.

Here's what I've settled on:

7000 repeater
    18" 3 groove barrel, 1:10
    20moa base
    Threaded for a 5/8-24 mount.

That would be a good combo. Youll really like there 3 groove barrel!! for sure.

Jerid