• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship How sore does your shoulder get?

Re: How sore does your shoulder get?

Yeah. I have whats called a Twinkie deficiency and there is very little padding under the skin and after a couple hundred rounds I get real sore. I bought a gel pad that you wear like a shoulder holster and it completely eliminates that problem now. I wear the pad under my shirt so nobody sees what a pussy I am. lol

Limbsaver works wonders.

My shoulder will change colors and be tender for about 2-3 days, but thats only from extended shooting sessions with 'magnum class' cartridges. Also depends on where your shoulder is getting hit; improper stocking is a good way to bruise your shoulder, i see that quite often with 1st time shotgun shooters.

Typical session consists of 12 gauge 2 3/4" 7/8 and 1oz slugs, .300wm 180gr, .458 socom 300-500gr..at least 20 shotshells and 40-60rd of the other 2. The socom and the 12 gauge are the ones that really thump, the .300 has a limbsaver on it and I could shoot 4-5 boxes of that if the barrel and wallet would let me. I'm also a scrawny person with no natural cushion in my shoulder.

Combat Shotgun training will leave my shoulder a little tender and I will usually have a slight red mark.

The .308 really isn't a big deal unless I am firing several hundred rounds a day. Then I get a little bit of a red mark. No real soreness. You get used to it.

If I was racking up a round count on a .300WM or .338LM then I would probably opt for a brake.

When I was conducting load development for my .308 I shot 60 rounds and while my shoulder was alittle tender afterwards what really got me was the carpet burn on my right elbow, guess a long sleeve shirt would help.

I shoot 6.5x284, 6.5x47, and have never been sore, though these are not real tunpers.

The only time that I get sore, is from shooting my CG 6.5x55 swede for High Power, something about a metal butt plate and a 6lb rifle, it gets to me after a while. And the shotgun, but at least that has a recoil pad on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamesz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what are you shooting? </div></div>

I'm shooting a 16 pound 300 WSM. 208 grain A-Max's @ 3200 FPS. I have shot many a rifle that kicked harder. This particular gun is my baby though and I do everything I can to make each round count. I shoot 25 rounds per week.

I'm not a new shooter. However I am a new accurate shooter, if that makes any sense. Doing my best to meld me and the rifle, the same, everytime. Top repeatable accuracy comes when the butt is in contact with my collar bone. Perhaps I'll change the height of my cheekpiece and see if that make a difference.

I too suffer from excess twinkie storage deficiency syndrome (also known as ETSDS). In fact, experts now believe 1 in 10 men suffer the consequenses of this horrible disease. Side effects range from a heathly BMI, to normal blood pressure. Some poor blokes even have to deal with increased intimate attention from the opposite sex. Terrible I say, just terrible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
jamesz71 said:
what are you shooting? </div></div>

I'm shooting a 16 pound 300 WSM. 208 grain A-Max's @ 3200 FPS. I have shot many a rifle that kicked harder. This particular gun is my baby though and I do everything I can to make each round count. I shoot 25 rounds per week.

I'm not a new shooter. However I am a new accurate shooter, if that makes any sense. Doing my best to meld me and the rifle, the same, everytime. Top repeatable accuracy comes when the butt is in contact with my collar bone. Perhaps I'll change the height of my cheekpiece and see if that make a difference.

"Cough", Puta!
Accurate is good.

Collar bone, on skinny guy's is all we have.
Go to a turkey shoot with your fav 12.
Kick ass and be bruised for the week.
(lighter and smaller is better)
Try to shoot trap with a couple 3" turkey loads.
Both suck!

With my RRA LAR-8 (7.62 but weighs 13 pounds) I have no soreness. But then each session doesn't last longer than 200 rounds so far.

Recoil is more of a push than a punch.

It just really depends on what i am shooting. Most
of the time i have no soreness, unless i shoot a whole bunch of
12ga.

Recoil is a significant issue for me, having injured shoulders and a reconstructed sternum.

I shoot nothing more powerful than a .30-'06, but that's not how I deal with the recoil.

The kickers are 20ga slug guns, a .44Mag Win 94 lever carbine, and the .30-'06 lightweight hunter. This may not sound like much, but when you're condition mirrors mine, your viewpoints change, and the strategies I employ are just as effective for more powerfully recoilling guns.

These guns have Limbsavers on them, and the scope eye relief is adjusted forward to reduce the tendency for 'scope eye' as the pads compress.

The real strategy, though, is in technique.

For hard recoiling guns, I perform a 'hard hold', which pulls the recoil pad firmly into the shoulder.

Loose holds allow the rifle to 'get a run' at the shoulder, and have a slamming effect. When the rifle is already in firm conact, the shoulder gets accelerated rearward more smoothly, eliminating the slamming effect and allowing the shoulder to 'ride' the recoil, rather than become the victim of a collision between a moving mass and a stationary one.

This technique can do quite a bit toward easing the effects of significant and repeated recoil.

Greg

Greg hit it on the shoulder - Hold hard.
I don't get sore except from the full loads in my 06 but I don't shoot that often..

Just been doing it all my life...get a bit bruised or chaffed but no sore...maybe it's the Karate..

You got it- use a hard hold!! For those light weight hunting rifles in 30-06, 300WM, 338's, etc, I'll suck into the rifle as hard as I can with good cheek pressure. Helps keep the muzzle down, and minimize the recoil. If needed and I have the length of pull available, I'll put a small sand bag between the butt and my shoulder. This works fairly well.

I'm working on an oldie but goodie 243 Win with a solid butt plate right now. Man, does this thing ever kick! Suprised the heck out of me!

I bring a jacket, nothing heavy, drape it over my shoulder between the rifle recoil pad and my shoulder like you would a towel. Reduces recoil feel by 25 to 50%.

Over come, adapt, improvise. Pain is weakness leaving your body...LOL.

50 rounds through my LTR beats me down rather quickly. 50 rounds through my KMW feels like a .243. Weight and fit is where it's at.

I want know how you are getting 3200fps out of a .300 wsm with 208's! I can't get that with 178's!

I shoot about 20 to 30 rnds at a time ussually, so not very sore at all. Once a month I do a 300 yard match, that either 65 or 85 rnds in around a hour, and then I can tell I've been shooting, but not really sore. My ears hurt more from the muffs rubbing. 300wm is kinda a thumper, but you get used to it, and if you lock in good and tight its not bad at all. But a PAST pad wont make you a sissy, thats for all the guys who beat me with 223's ans 6mmPPC's...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greg hit it on the shoulder - Hold hard.
I don't get sore except from the full loads in my 06 but I don't shoot that often..

Just been doing it all my life...get a bit bruised or chaffed but no sore...
</div></div>

I have to agree with Greg.

A 308 isn't a problem. The Remington 1100 12 ga. I had was OK. But a 300 WinMag or a Mossberg 12 ga has to be held TIGHT for me to not get sore.

Also making sure the length of pull is correct will make things a lot easier on you. For years I had a problem with my Rem 700. After my second one I found out my LOP was about 1 1/2 inches shorter than most factort Remington stocks. Getting that corrected helped a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
jamesz71 said:

I'm shooting a 16 pound 300 WSM. 208 grain A-Max's @ 3200 FPS. </div></div>

how are you doing that? i don't know much about the 300wsm but i don't think that is even possible in a 300 win mag.

for what it's worth, i shoot a 16 lb 300 win mag with 210 vlds at 2950 fps with no brake. i shoot 50 rounds during a match that the shooting session is less than 2 hours. probably more like an hour and a half. i have scrawny arms and my shoulder is never sore after shooting. i think you are probably not holding your rifle tight enough or in the correct position.

I get a lil sore. If I dont have it sitting right I get a good bruise like a "dead arm". Pain is gone after a day, had bruises last for a day or too. But I have too much fun for my own good. My friend hates shootin my rifle, especially with handloads. He usually doesnt last more than 15 shots. And he is 6'2" 205 lbs. I am 5'11" 200 lbs. Neither of us are scrawny or anything. He is just use to shooting .223 AR's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
jamesz71 said:

how are you doing that? i don't know much about the 300wsm but i don't think that is even possible in a 300 win mag.</div></div>

come on, i gotta know what you are loading in your 300 wsm to get a 208 amax to 3200 fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
jamesz71 said:

how are you doing that? i don't know much about the 300wsm but i don't think that is even possible in a 300 win mag.</div></div>

come on, i gotta know what you are loading in your 300 wsm to get a 208 amax to 3200 fps. </div></div>

Im in the mid 2800's w/190's, I would like to know too.

Although my weight is up a bit lately, I did quite a bit of shooting at 102-106lbs - no shoulder pocket, all clavicle. I found w/a weekend of .308 (250-300 rounds) alone I would definitely be sore & a little bruised by the end, and that has been with both an AI brake and a FTE brake.
The answer, if legal in your state of course, is a suppressor! If shooting higher calibers like 300Win or .338, a VIAS or TUBB brake will serve you well. The problem with using limbsaver pads, is that you have to consistent use them, because they do alter you shooting position, natural POA etc.

I wanna know how to get 208's at 3200fps to! Not saying you aint doing it, but im only getting 3050FPS out of my 300WM with 190MK. I could probley push a little hotter, but this is were it groups best. You shooting a 30" barrel, canted land, and super hot loads?

Look, I don't really care who's getting which outta what, the point is the same, we're not talking cream puffs and pillow fights here.

A few points, items that depend on resilience to absorb and redistribute recoil forces will also require additional eye relief, because that eye relief will foreshorten as the absorption is taking place.

Anything which broadens the contact area over which the recoil is delivered to the body is going to reduce the amount of force that is dissipated over any given portion of that area. This is good. PAST pads, broad cap recoil pad slip-ons, all these are good. Maybe not the most elegant approach, but they work. For my own purposes, I'm willing enough to declare myself a crip and eat the verbiage that follows.

Anything which increases the mass that the recoil has to get past to reach you is good. Lead Sled, yepyep. Stock Ballast, samesame. Even the bag of sand/lead shot between buttplate and shoulder is a functional approach.

And when none of this is available, give it a good solid grab, lean into the muthah, and ride 'em cowboy!

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want know how you are getting 3200fps out of a .300 wsm with 208's! I can't get that with 178's! </div></div>

70 grains H1000, CCI primers & Winchester brass. The man that builds my bullets tells me this is very much a compression load. Density Altitude where we shoot ranges from 7400 to 10,100. My barrel is 26" long.

After I posted this I realized many of you asked this same question. Sorry I did not respond sooner, I was out of town for the holiday. How fast are ya'll pushing the 208's and what elevation are you shooting at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
jamesz71 said:

how are you doing that? i don't know much about the 300wsm but i don't think that is even possible in a 300 win mag.

for what it's worth, i shoot a 16 lb 300 win mag with 210 vlds at 2950 fps with no brake. i shoot 50 rounds during a match that the shooting session is less than 2 hours. probably more like an hour and a half. i have scrawny arms and my shoulder is never sore after shooting. i think you are probably not holding your rifle tight enough or in the correct position. </div></div>

I utilize a tight hold, so I know that is not the problem. But using incorrect position may be. I previously used a much looser hold on my rifles and more padding. Eventually I would like to shoot tactical matches and a loose hold with padding didnt seem compliant with my goal. Perhaps I'm just a pansy?

yes thats it. send yer gear to me and buy a .22 with a purple laser pansy. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want know how you are getting 3200fps out of a .300 wsm with 208's! I can't get that with 178's! </div></div>

70 grains H1000, CCI primers & Winchester brass. The man that builds my bullets tells me this is very much a compression load. Density Altitude where we shoot ranges from 7400 to 10,100. My barrel is 26" long.

After I posted this I realized many of you asked this same question. Sorry I did not respond sooner, I was out of town for the holiday. How fast are ya'll pushing the 208's and what elevation are you shooting at? </div></div>

have you actually shot this load over a chrony? you are claiming to be in the rum velocity range with 20+ less grains of powder. if this is true, i need to talk to your bullet builder and see what he can do with my 300 win mag
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want know how you are getting 3200fps out of a .300 wsm with 208's! I can't get that with 178's! </div></div>

After I posted this I realized many of you asked this same question. Sorry I did not respond sooner, I was out of town for the holiday. How fast are ya'll pushing the 208's and what elevation are you shooting at? </div></div>

have you actually shot this load over a chrony? you are claiming to be in the rum velocity range with 20+ less grains of powder. if this is true, i need to talk to your bullet builder and see what he can do with my 300 win mag
laugh.gif
</div></div>

It is obvious to me that you don't know the secret to getting the extra "umph" from your rifle. If you did, you might realize that the only way to make your bullets fly as fast as mine is to shoot down hill.... But in all seriousness I would be curious to know what elevation you are at when you chronograph your loads.

Now to answer your question, I have tried to chrono these loads, with no success (don't ask). I based my apparently optomistic 3200 FPS on the necessary adjustment to get from 100 to 650 yards. I had to move up 13.75 MOA from my 100 yard zero. D.A. that night was 7355. It may well be that they are not flying as fast as I said. I just know what the ballistics calculator said for my adjustments at my D.A.

Shoulder only gets sore if used.
Might be missing a thing or two if you are getting a sore shoulder.
Know range.

300, how is the stick you made?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want know how you are getting 3200fps out of a .300 wsm with 208's! I can't get that with 178's! </div></div>

laugh.gif
</div></div>

It is obvious to me that you don't know the secret to getting the extra "umph" from your rifle. If you did, you might realize that the only way to make your bullets fly as fast as mine is to shoot down hill.... But in all seriousness I would be curious to know what elevation you are at when you chronograph your loads.

Now to answer your question, I have tried to chrono these loads, with no success (don't ask). I based my apparently optomistic 3200 FPS on the necessary adjustment to get from 100 to 650 yards. I had to move up 13.75 MOA from my 100 yard zero. D.A. that night was 7355. It may well be that they are not flying as fast as I said. I just know what the ballistics calculator said for my adjustments at my D.A. </div></div>

i am <span style="font-style: italic">guessing</span> you are actually in the low 2800's for velocity. i've shot over the chrony at about 250 feet and about 5500 feet and my muzzle velocity is nearly the same. my trajectory changes quite a bit from those two areas though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

300, how is the stick you made? </div></div> working great. it shoots much better than i do this year
laugh.gif

At 3200 fps and 7355 as the altitude I'm getting 9.2 moa of drop.

At 2700 fps it should take around 13.75 moa of drop.

I think you're probably 400-500 fps fast in your estimations.

TCA4570 said:
Shoulder only gets sore if used.
Might be missing a thing or two if you are getting a sore shoulder.
Know range.[/quote}

Actually Tac,

I appreciate your post more than you know. I would love to know what it is that I am missing. I am not being sarcastic. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Indeed that's why I started the thread. I am at the point, after yesterdays range session, that I am contemplating a muzzle break. Something I didn't want to do as I am enjoying not having the dust (we always shoot prone) and noise that come from one.

What do you mean when you say "Know range"?

I am a sarcastic person and sometimes that is hard to convey via text. I hope I have not come across as a prick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Kemp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 3200 fps and 7355 as the altitude I'm getting 9.2 moa of drop.

I think you're probably 400-500 fps fast in your estimations. </div></div>

Tyler,

2700 FPS sounds a lot closer to where everyone thinks I'm at. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all. Thanks for chiming in. The reason I originally posted was that my shoulder freaking hurts. I'm not a proud person (obviously, I wouldn't post a question as girly as "how sore does your shoulder get" if I was) & dont mind saying I'm wrong
smile.gif

I am still in the process of finding a load that works well out of my rifle. I've had it a month as of yesterday, put 145 rounds through her, and still don't have a consistent 1/2 MOA load. Once I find the "magic bullet" I will use a real chronograph and then have some ballistics charts worked up.

no one is going to call you a pussy or anything like that for having a muzzle brake on a 300wsm. some people can handle one without and others never will. i have shot a bunch of hot loads out of 300 win mag (210 vld at 2950) without a brake. it doesn't hurt or discomfort me at all. i am getting tired of being taken so far off target after each shot though. i am going to put a brake on mine in the near future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Kemp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 3200 fps and 7355 as the altitude I'm getting 9.2 moa of drop.

Tyler,

2700 FPS sounds a lot closer to where everyone thinks I'm at. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all. Thanks for chiming in. The reason I originally posted was that my shoulder freaking hurts. I'm not a proud person (obviously, I wouldn't post a question as girly as "how sore does your shoulder get" if I was) & dont mind saying I'm wrong
smile.gif

I am still in the process of finding a load that works well out of my rifle. I had it a month as of yesterday, put 145 rounds through her, and still don't have a consistent 1/2 MOA load. Once I find the "magic bullet" I will use a real chronograph and then have some real ballistics charts worked up. </div></div>

is this your first rifle? if the rifle is causing you pain from shooting, it wouldn't surprise me if you never do find a consistent 1/2 moa load. you may pass that load right up and not even know it if you are flinching or anticipating the pain. at this point, a brake may not be a bad idea for you. they are cool during matches if you aim the ports so they throw gravel in your competitor's action when they are cycling the bolt
grin.gif

Heck I want a brake on my 15 lb 6mm Ackley so I can see impacts closer than a couple hundred yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Kemp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 3200 fps and 7355 as the altitude I'm getting 9.2 moa of drop.

Tyler,

smile.gif

I am still in the process of finding a load that works well out of my rifle. I had it a month as of yesterday, put 145 rounds through her, and still don't have a consistent 1/2 MOA load. Once I find the "magic bullet" I will use a real chronograph and then have some real ballistics charts worked up. </div></div>

is this your first rifle? if the rifle is causing you pain from shooting, it wouldn't surprise me if you never do find a consistent 1/2 moa load. you may pass that load right up and not even know it if you are flinching or anticipating the pain. at this point, a brake may not be a bad idea for you. they are cool during matches if you aim the ports so they throw gravel in your competitor's action when they are cycling the bolt
grin.gif
</div></div>

Remind me to stay several spaces down from you should we ever end up at the same competition
smile.gif

I have had several rifles over the last decade. My "baby" up till now was a custom 300 WM. But it had a muzzle break. Been shooting my whole life & occasionally shoot a good group. I built this rifle to eliminate the occasionally.

For the record I don't flinch. I say this not to sound tuf, but because I don't. I dry fire 30 min a night 5 nights a week and when I'm at the range I have a tendency to leave the saftey on while I get on target, then forget to take it off while I "exhale, squeeze.... squeeze.. WTF, oh, dang! I left it on again! No flinch.

I am 1000% open to feedback like this though. Thank you
smile.gif
. Any recommendations on what load I should try next? I & the rest of Grand Junction CO are out of H1000. Now I've got 8 pounds of H4831. I'm due for new bullets so it's a great time for yall to steer me in the right direction.

Staying on target has been impossible for me with this gun. The muzzle consistently moves 3" to the left. I searched for this problem here on the hide and the resounding solution was to join online training. Perhaps if I knew where to hold the rifle so that I didn't get sore the muzzle jump would go away?