• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How stiff is too stiff closing a bolt on a jammed

djtjr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2009
New York
Guys I have a gun that is in the same chambering as another gun I have, I wanted to see if I could use the same dies and I built up a load. It just happens that the best load is the same as my other gun but the seating depth jam is a bit more as I guess one reamer is a bit different than the other. The bolt will close on the new gun but it does take some pressure to do so the jam is prob .015-.02 A opposed to .005 on my other gun.
Anyway my question is how much presure is too much when closing a bolt? I can do it with one hand but I do need to sort of pinch it down if it were a repeater it wouldn't be easy to run a fast string. Can this cause damage to the lugs if there is pressure but it's not crazy? If the load shoots great should I leave it or seat the bullets deeper to avoid this. Assuming no presure after shooting can I be damaging the lugs closing it a bit tight? Any thresholds for how tight is too tight? Thanks in advance.
Don

Re: How stiff is too stiff closing a bolt on a jammed

It depends on why the bolt closes with difficulty. But, regardless. If this is the situation, I would load for each rifle independently. And, I would keep the brass separate, by headstamp as soon as it has been fireformed, it should be used only in that particular rifle from that point forward. It's not that hard to do. BB

hard to say what you got going on with out seeing and feeling it in person.

You sound like you are sure it is the bullet and not the brass?

but i will still ask some basic questions, sorry just gives a better understanding.

are they factory rifles, custom, tight chamber?

Are you FL sizing for both rifles?

Have you tried just chambering brass with out the bullet in the rifle with the tight bolt? if so it is smooth no force to close bolt?

If this is all true then it is probably the bullet seating depth like you think. But that being said i would not expect a lot of force to close a bolt because of jamming, bullets are soft and generally chamber pretty easy regardless, just my experience.

Seating depth is very important at the extreme ends, to far in increases pressure significantly and every little bit further in increases more and more almost logarithmically if you will.

same can be said for seating to far out, pressure will get higher as you get further into lands once to get so far even .002 can start to make a big difference

i would use extreme caution with these tight loads

good luck figuring it out.

Thanks guys yes brass chambers fine without bullets, it will be separate brass for both either way wanted to save having to buy a duplicate die set and or adjust the seater every time since they both shoot the exact same load perfectly. Custom chambers not tight neck I am certain it's the oal and the jam being as much as it is. It closes with one hand just not that easily but its not crazy I just want to be sure I am not damaging the action if it is a nit tighter than normal

Have you tried seating the bullet a tad deeper in the other gun to see if it might shoot it well? It sounds like it's only a few thousands difference and it would sure make it easier for you if it worked in both guns.

We must have gotten really lucky with both our LR pistols in 260 and both Savage rifles with being able to shoot the same loads in all guns with no changes. Pistols use Lilja barrels and the rifles use Shilen Select match, the chambers must be identical since we only bump the shoulder. We do keep the brass separate just to keep track of how many loadings each has but we can use rounds from any of the boxes in any of the guns and load and they shoot fine in our 1000 yard matches.

Sometimes ya just get lucky but I think the better barrel makers pay more attention and don't use a reamer till it's nearly worn out. We also loaded ours to work in the rifles AI magazines and didn't fool with chasing the lands.

Topstrap

not a perfect solution but if you have already shot some loads out of both guns, and if you have a chrono, or know someone who does get velocities of same load, from both guns, velocity changes should give you an idea of pressure changes between the rifles

My ammo closes nicely in everything I load for. Nothing pisses me off more than dealing with ammo fit issues, regardless of the cause. I see it constantly in other people's guns.

Like the others have already said, load individually for each rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cpl Snafu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My ammo closes nicely in everything I load for. Nothing pisses me off more than dealing with ammo fit issues, regardless of the cause. I see it constantly in other people's guns.

Like the others have already said, load individually for each rifle. </div></div>

+1

I quit fussing with neck sizing only and other "minimalist" sizing methodologies. It's nice when ammo just fucking fits, with no fuss.

Yesterday, a fellow at the gunclub whose always trying to convince me to NS only stuck a round in his rifle...meanwhile my FLS ammo was feeding/chambering like shit through a goose.

As mentioned, why not continue development in an attemp to find a load that chambers/shoots perfect in both rifles, instead of just shooting well from both?