• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How the 17HMR

CarbonMTN

224 Overbore
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
NV

I mean I am a decent shot with my 17HMR but the ammo quality isnt there (then again this guy hand loads his 17hmr) and this dude does SUB MOA at 1000 yards. something seems off to me and the facts that you can hear the little wind in the video, when did wind and rimfire become friends?

Not trying to crap on the guy, im just trying to wrap my head around this and figure out how I can get out that far.

His 3 shot group looks like my 100 yard group on a windy day. Didn't know you could reload rimfire ammo though, that's interesting.

I guess I thought you needed a better cheek weld and follow thru to shoot well at any distance.

I watched his FAQ video.

He uses Coldshot MOAB that offers up to 300moa.
He is truly dedicated to 17HMR, for no apparent reason other than that he is very familiar with it and enjoys the challenge of rimfire ELR.

About his sub-moa, yeah..
We all know how freaking hard the wind is on rimfire. And he mentions that at 1200 yd he had his shot wandering in a 60 feet area of windage.

He has an exeptional gun and can clearly make incredible groups at near but he is not a magician. Not meaning to down his group, but he cannot repeat it just like that and can anybody?

He is setting up a custom 17HMR ammo partnership with some dealer. He did not say much about it, mainly giving a hint of it. Probably at start with it.

His 300 yard groups are under .3moa.

He uses new and fired brass, anneals it, primes it with Prime-All, adds powder (I did not catch which powder and how much) and seats the 20gr Lehigh Copper alloy bullet.

He measures the ELR and match stuff to the hundreth of grain.
Both priming compound and powder.

Would love one of those uppers. Don't have a match lower though, so probably wouldn't get great results out of my standard factory lower...I may have to just try it anyway.

Reactions: Near miss
His 300 yard groups are under .3moa.

He uses new and fired brass, anneals it, primes it with Prime-All, adds powder (I did not catch which powder and how much) and seats the 20gr Lehigh Copper alloy bullet.

He measures the ELR and match stuff to the hundreth of grain.
Both priming compound and powder.

annealed? have you seen how thin 17hmr brass is. i say out of every 100 bullet I get 1 split case. I think the brass is soft enough....

I applaud the effort for anyone extending their shooting distance, especially smaller caliber rounds. Keep sending and enjoy the thrill.

I'm the exact opposite of an expert on long range precision rimfire shooting. With my uber cheap Savage 17HMR set-up on a calm day, I can shoot sub-moa 5 shot groups at 100 yards. But at 150 yards and beyond, they start opening up dramatically to at least 2-3 moa. That's with a 17gr pill. More power to this guy. It's something I could never achieve.

Reloading 17HMR is nothing but hard. But I am interested in it. Just for once to get the rounds where I point them at.
But I feel like no way in hell I get that thing to ship to my country.

I have not encountered splits yet but forgive me for my stupid question, does not annealing make the brass more malleable, thus less likely to split?