• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

How the Swiss check for unloaded weapons at a match

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    Seriously...it's a thing
    sriimg20070604_7891242_0-data.jpg

OIP.DAYeY_rzdQLwOI-YiO2AEgHaE8

R.34d683f6dc45a0fb4de9142da1fad99c

Last edited:
    for them it was the smartest option , and the only one that did not require a person to sit on another's gun .

I suspect that the weapon has already been determined to be unloaded, the bolt is back. The barrel is being checked for obstruction.

Perhaps they are just stupid, but that is not their reputation.

Reactions: Im2bent and hlee
    wonder how ofter you hear...CLEAN-UP on bay 3.....clean-up on bay 3....

• Haha
    Reactions: Alphatreedog
    They've never been invaded or conquered.

On the other hand you only get one mistake.

I have trouble believing that is real, there has to be more to it. Unload and show clear is not that difficult, and you can do it from feet away.

With the expressions on the faces there has to be a joke in there somewhere.

I have trouble believing that is real, there has to be more to it. Unload and show clear is not that difficult, and you can do it from feet away.

With the expressions on the faces there has to be a joke in there somewhere.
    Here it is with caption. Not fake.
    • sriimg20070604_7891242_0-data.jpg
      Security check before going to the shooting range swissinfo.ch

Here it is with caption. Not fake.
    • sriimg20070604_7891242_0-data.jpg
      Security check before going to the shooting range swissinfo.ch

I just can't imagine that level of stupid.

You know when you read a headline and think that has to be the Babylon Bee, but it turns out to be real.

One might have notions of how and why, and also that it is unsafe to do it this way,

in the swedish military, this is known as, "att göra färdigt för skjutning"

ie as conscripts we have had time to run a bore snake through the barrel, make sure that the barrel is clean from obstructions, we have also
    checked the action for debris and that it is functioning properly,

the absolut most important part here is that we as conscripts have no ammo, absolutely not.

last prior to inspection, all rifles have the action opened, forming a line with our rifles the officer in charge of the training will have his chamber flag in one hand,

starting each inspection with that, then making sure the rifle is clean, ish, the bore is free from obstructions and the mags are clean.

I can see how this is considered a breach in rifle safety however history has shown that the number of incidents/accidents are higher by a tenfold or so if the conscrips are allowed to make ready for a shooting session on there own.

I remember vividly how some had forgotten to remove there blind firing device, how some had the entire barrel bathed in grease, gas system to, btw and others had patches stuck halfways, ( ooohhhhh I thought the bullet would push it out),

well given that and that was for a group of rather decent lads, I still would and could argue that the risk for the officer in charge of the shooting, team is a calculated one, and in so far better than the other accidents waiting to happen.

Still I can add that I never liked doing it this way and would much rather have used a small inspection mirror.

Seriously, you don't believe this shit, do you? BTW swissinfo is as anti-gun as CNN.

If that is aimed at me, I know for sure that a rifle inspection before and after a shooting can be conducted like that in Europe/Sweden,
    about the Swiss, well I do not know for sure.

/C
    It wasn't aimed at you Advokaten, but at the OP.

I have witnessed it a few times around here. Mostly after a initial chamber check, they make sure the barrel has no obstruction. Today and Saturday we have both the compulsory shooting sessions and the "popular" one open to all citizens. Especially for the later, the RSO are making sure people coming at the range have 'safe' weapon handling (magazine removed, bolt lock open if possible) and have no issues with their guns (like a cleaning rod left).

If you ask me, I think these pictures are 'satire' aimed at gun owners. The website where they come from have numerous anti-gun propaganda articles, that depicts gun owners as stupid; of the red-neck type. Of course they known we are doing our duty this week-end, and they want to gaslight the readers.

Reactions: Advokaten

This are legit links from Sweden, the armed forces, army.
    yes this is how it is done here, and yes the arguments are like stated above.
    I completly understand the very sound concept of keeping body parts one likes to keep way from the muzzle of a rifle,
    yet this is the balance being made here,
    we are far better of having an officer check the rifle/bore prior and after a use of the rifle then not.

I am certain there are better ways, like stated above, yet that is not the way it has been done here, so far.

I am Swedish btw, not Swiss, though I wish at times, I really like cheese and steak. /C

I completly understand the very sound concept of keeping body parts one likes to keep way from the muzzle of a rifle,
    we are far better of having an officer check the rifle/bore prior and after a use of the rifle then not.

I am certain there are better ways, like stated above, yet that is not the way it has been done here, so far.

I am Swedish btw, not Swiss, though I wish at times, I really like cheese and steak. /C
    Posted these photo's because it is quite different from how it's done in the U.S. Personally, if I checked the chamber and it was clear, I would have no problem looking down the barrel.

Reactions: Im2bent

We can make a deal then. I trade the cheese for the swedish woman. Sound fair? Ours are ugly (that's the only thing realistic in the above pictures btw).

• Haha
    Reactions: Advokaten
    Sheeet, I didn't even know they could even purchase ammo over there.
    Mac:unsure:
    I “think” that up until pretty recently, ammo was issued to you (not sold) when you went to the range in Switzerland.

Reactions: 10ring'r
    You guys ever had a shotgun fitting check...or seen it done. Break open the action, student and clinic instructor (or stock fitter) both verify the gun is unloaded and each verbally acknowledges the same, close the action (on an O/U or SxS...semi, leave the bolt back) and student mounts and points the gun at the instructor's face.

Its done routinely.

A single still picture does not tell the whole story.

Last edited:
    Reactions: hlee