• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How they made a rifle in the 18th century

We watched this in Jr. High shop class. I built a flintlock rifle from a Dixie Gunworks kit in high school shop class. If the order for the kit was sent to Dixie on school letterhead it was 30% off.

I still have the rifle.

Thanks for posting this, it is worth the watch.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Very interesting. I didn't know they folded the metal to make barrels back in the day.

Haven't seen this in years, good video ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

We watched this in Jr. High shop class. I built a flintlock rifle from a Dixie Gunworks kit in high school shop class. If the order for the kit was sent to Dixie on school letterhead it was 30% off.

I still have the rifle.

Thanks for posting this, it is worth the watch.

Thank you,
MrSmith
Pix of the rifle!!!

Sirhr

Reactions: Jim Out
Think about how talented the smith Wallace Gusler is. I dont know how old he was in 1969 when they made that movie
but he looks young.

How many guys have the talent to do all that today? Probably no one.

Reactions: crackerbrown
John Browning developed ALL his designs on a very small bench w nothing but hand tools. A true genius.

Very interesting. I didn't know they folded the metal to make barrels back in the day.
Check out how they make spiral wrap Damascus barrels. Old video, not as informative as the OP, but good enough to see the work involved

That video from the OP was one of my favorites back in the early 90's, when I first saw it.
Might even have been the late 80's, come to think of it.

Hmmm looks like ghost guns have been around for ages.

Fun fact: EVERY SINGLE gun in existence today started off being ghost guns in the short time between the finished receiver or frame coming out of the production line and the engraving of a number onto that frame...
smiley_smartass.gif

In China, it is a known fact in every factory producing weapons for the military that tooling and crews constantly go into "overdrive" mode, cranking out receivers and parts which technically do not exist on any registry. Parts are also known to mysteriously vanish from storerooms. Trucks supplying these factories often depart a little bit heavier than they seem from the outside. Where these rifles and pistols end up, nobody really knows, but the antigun Violence Policy Center knows enough to list China as the country that ranks No. 4 in the highest rates of guns in civilian hands...
smiley_smartass.gif

Reactions: Im2bent
Reactions: RUTGERS95
Was wondering what it would cost to buy one of his rifles. The video says it took 300 hours to make it. What is his time worth in 1969? Plus materials. Plus a profit margin. Then I found this...

If you have the bucks is it worth 7k for the coolness factor of a completely hand made rifle? To me yes.

In 1969 , the minimum wage of United state is $1.60 which is equal to $11.32 in 2019.

Also in 1969, the average starting salary of a Bachelor’s degree graduates in US was $9,504

Here the list of the average wages across all industry sectors in 1969:

In private industry:Hourly wages[United state]

Manufacturing…………………………………..$3.19

Mining………………………………………………$3.61

Contract Construction…………………………$4.79

Transportation and public utilities………..$3.64

Wholesale Trade…………………………………..$3.23

Retail trades…………………………………………$2.30

Finance,insurances and real estates………..$2.93

Service………………………………………………….$2.05

Total gross hourly earning in 1969:$3.04

In private industry: Weekly wages[United state]

Manufacturing…………………………………..$130

Mining………………………………………………$155

Contract Construction…………………………$182

Transportation and public utilities………..$148

Wholesale Trade…………………………………..$130

Retail trades…………………………………………$79

Finance,insurances and real estates………..$109

Service………………………………………………….$91

Total gross weekly earning in 1969…………..$115

In conclusion , The average salary of a person in 1969 was low in today’s standard but they could afford more.

I love stuff like this the only problem is it’s so relaxing I fall asleep, so they’re all 2 parters lol

Was wondering what it would cost to buy one of his rifles. The video says it took 300 hours to make it. What is his time worth in 1969? Plus materials. Plus a profit margin. Then I found this...

If you have the bucks is it worth 7k for the coolness factor of a completely hand made rifle? To me yes.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but who is Jerry Abbott?

Is he still building rifles?

Opera Snapshot_2022-01-20_195159_www.rockislandauction.com.png

Not even $25/ hr for his skilled labor

One of the best hours I've spent on the internet, What skills that were once common, are lost today.
Actually not lost at all… for the past 40 years there has been a massive renaissance of the skills of the Colonial Gunsmith. The Contemporary Longrifles Association has a huge membership and the skills are continuing to thrive. Including people doing their own barrel forging and boring in traditional ways.

Even the master/apprentice system is alive and well, though apprentices are no longer teenagers who have to keep the coal scuttle filled… but are usually very bright 20-somethings who make a good living becoming a master at something other than pushing paper and who will earn a great living as a true artisan/craftsman.

Look up the CLA sometime… and if you do Fakebook, they have a superb community there. About the only thing useless Zucks monstrosity is good for.

Last, the skills are not just gunmaking… where did the trend of “Forged in fire”’stuff come from? These guys. It includes knife makers, leather workers, horners… folks working fur, bead…. There is an amazing “subculture”not long rifle enthusiasts that is keeping the skills alive and even taking them to new heights!

You just have to know where to look for them!

Sirhr

PS… one fun place is the Primitive Biathlon events… look those up and attend one! They are a blast. Pardon the pun. And attract some real shooter/athletes! Sort of PRS meets Jeremiah Johnson.

Oh and last…

Ed Parry has made/restored several guns for me. Ex Navy guy who taught himself the skills. Brilliant maker in Connecticut. And a super fun guy.

Here is another video worth the watch. If you thought longrifle makers were just sort of hacking things out of wood and making them pretty… this delves into how they actually styled and proportioned their guns. Really revealing when you “see” it for the first time.

Cheers, Sirhr

when my students snap a mill or lathe tool because of carelessness....i make them finish their days work with hand files.

....they learn quickly to be grateful for modern machine tools, and tend to treat them a lot more carefully after that....

when i first got serious about machining, i invested in a good set of files, and it has absolutely been one of the best investments ive made.
Files, stones, chalk, and oil. I've done so much hand fitting of parts for so long I need to re-teach myself how to run my mill 🤣🤣🤣

There's something about hand fitting everything "just right". It may be less accurate than machined, but the "love" is in there.

Files, stones, chalk, and oil. I've done so much hand fitting of parts for so long I need to re-teach myself how to run my mill 🤣🤣🤣

There's something about hand fitting everything "just right". It may be less accurate than machined, but the "love" is in there.
Actually it is as accurate or more accurate.

It is less repeatable. A good man with a file can work easily to tenths. It just takes longer to make identical parts!

Accuracy vs repeatability is the core word. Files and stones and lapping are incredible levels of accurate. Just don’t ask me to do it twice!

Sirhr

Reactions: clcustom1911
This could be titled "How much America we have lost since 1969"

I now know that I have been given a dirty look by a legend. 🤣 Back in the 90’s I was stationed at Yorktown and me and a few guys used to ride our mountain bikes around the lake next to William and Mary. After we were completely covered in mud we would cruise across the Ivy League campus then through Colonial Williamsburg. We gave visitors and staff a wide enough berth that we didn’t get mud on any of them but most of the tourists and ALL of the staff gave us some hateful glares. 😎