• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How tight should the firing pin stop be on a 1911 ?

Hogshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2003
Powhatan, Va
I replaced the extractor on my stainless Commander and the FP stop plate was so tight that it would not slide in. With the factory extractor the stop would slide in and out with finger pressure. The slot on the new Wilson Bulletproof extractor was such a tight fit the FP stop would not go back in place. I used a jewelers file and opened up the slot in the extractor just a hair to give clearance. Still had to lightly tap the fp stop in place but it is no where near as loose a fit as with the factory extractor. Should the FP stop removal be a tool less procedure ? There definitely will be no extractor "clocking" as it is now but the extractor or firing pin is not "field replaceable" as it was.

Extractors are not a drop in part usually, yes you need to open it up a bit more so it can be removed with your finger after depressing the firing pin. Take a little at a time and check often.

Or you could just leave it out and have it the way John Browning intended. Kidding... You would also need a heavier firing pin spring,

I don't think it would function too well if I left it out as the plate is what holds the firing pin and spring in the slide. Lol...I assume you are thinking about the firing pin safety button and spring that's in the series 80 guns (which this is by the way).

The main thing with a fit Firing Pin Stop is to prevent the Extractor from "clocking". And it's a pain to have to tap out a FPS. It sounds like you could deepen the notch in the Extractor just a bit and accomplish both things.

It's not the depth of the notch that is the issue. The width is a little too tight. I opened it up a hair evenly on both sides it and solved the issue.