• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How to blacken stainless steel?

Waorani

Crusty Caballero
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Greenbow, AL
Tried a few things over the years w/o much success. Is there a good DIY recipe or product for blackening stainless steel? Not coating/paint/etc.

Tried a few things over the years w/o much success. Is there a good DIY recipe or product for blackening stainless steel? Not coating/paint/etc.
You can black oxide 300 and 400 series stainless

Try this. I have no experience with it, but it is supposedly developed specifically to provide a black oxide coating on Stsinless. https://www.epi.com/black-oxide/stainless-steel/room/insta-blak-ss-370/

I've seen that and may give it a try if I can't come up with something cheaper. Only have occasional limited use like now trying to touch up a SiCo muzzle brake I opened up a bit and faced off the rear. Not sure what series stainless it may be.

When you say black oxide, do you mean like parkerizing? Never thought of that for SS but easy enough to try.

Last edited:
Sharpie. But seriously, If you can find an old machinist’s handbook they have a bunch of good finish procedures for a whole bunch of different metals. I may be able to find mine. If so, more to follow.

Sharpie. But seriously, If you can find an old machinist’s handbook they have a bunch of good finish procedures for a whole bunch of different metals. I may be able to find mine. If so, more to follow.

I've got 25th ed from 1996, will take a look.

BB22A581-0CAD-4DC6-983D-761747E66197.jpeg

Here is the stuff applying to blackening steel. It also has the US formula for browning gun barrels if anyone is interested. @sirhrmechanic

I’m pretty sure it was the epi black oxide product that we used at my shop to color some stainless parts but It required heating the solution in a hot tank

Thanks, didn't even think of Caswell. At least there are some reviews so may give it a try. Wonder if it and the two above are essentially the same?

PVD is probably out as this is just small scale tinkering. DAMNKID that almost sounds like parkerizing but the directions do say heat to 125F. I've got some park mix in a croc pot so may just give it a try. MK20 thanks but no issues with other steels, just SS.

Thanks, didn't even think of Caswell. At least there are some reviews so may give it a try. Wonder if it and the two above are essentially the same?

PVD is probably out as this is just small scale tinkering. DAMNKID that almost sounds like parkerizing but the directions do say heat to 125F. I've got some park mix in a croc pot so may just give it a try. MK20 thanks but no issues with other steels, just SS.

I used it years ago to blacken a gas cylinder on a Garand.

Reactions: vigildom7
Did a little more searching and found reviews not on Caswell site were mixed. For everyone that said it worked for them, there was someone else that said it didn't work or rubbed off. Given that and that EPI seemed to be more of an industrial supplier, I ordered their starter kit. Unfortunately all I succeeded in doing was assing up what was left of the original black finish. Used both recipes for 300 & 400 series SS and initially they appeared to work but the black just rubbed off when done. I think there's just too much variability in SS for a DIY solution.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Wow, that sucks! I appreciate that you returned to the thread and let us know your results.

What do you plan to do now! Professional coating?

Haven't decided. Thinking cerakote won't hold up well on a muzzle brake, but maybe it will. Should have just left it like it was.

Shoot the hell out of it. It’ll darken up the way that god meant it to darken.

Put a patina on it with etching acid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interested in this thread as I have a Commander-size Ruger SR1911 that is stainless, and I want it black because stainless is so showy for a “milk run gun”.
Thinking cerakote followed by tumbling with some nuts and bolts to give it some “patina” might be the answer.
I know I risk offending the Forum Gods by going off-subject here, but how hard is it to apply cerakote?

I’m a certified Cerakote applicator. I do a ton of muzzle devices and the only time I’ve seen them wear quickly or lose finish is when the brake is also a suppressor Mount. You shouldn’t have any problems with a non Mount brake and it’ll typically be easier to clean, should you choose to do so.

You can tumble the parts after coating in large ceramic media for a very cool worn finish or just rough it up with some scotch bright after some flash curing and then finish it up.

Reactions: iceng
Interested in this thread as I have a Commander-size Ruger SR1911 that is stainless, and I want it black because stainless is so showy for a “milk run gun”.
Thinking cerakote followed by tumbling with some nuts and bolts to give it some “patina” might be the answer.
I know I risk offending the Forum Gods by going off-subject here, but how hard is it to apply cerakote?

If you have an hvlp gun and compressor, extra oven, plus the ability to blast with aluminum oxide then it’s not too bad.

As said above, cerakote on brakes is fine. Yes it wears eventually, however nitride is an option.

Honestly, send it to a cerakoter, it's how we do it. Same with proof (or any carbon) barrel ends.

Reactions: lash