• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to build a device that will do popup targets and then drop them.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    A friend and fellow member here has occasional shoots at his farm and we're always looking for new ideas for challenges. I thought to make a little divice, inexpensively, that could be put behind a rock or log and an unknown distance, then have it pop up and the shooter only has say 15 seconds to identify, range, aim, and fire. Inexpensive is important. Simple remote control would be nice. Come on you engineers. Other ideas welcome.

3CA4BB41-7B6E-491B-BD54-998494B58AF7.jpeg

Moths make good targets….

Pulling targets is a rite of passage…

Sirhr
    Yeah, but in this case it wont happen. He's too young. I tried to talk him into using a running Wetback but that wouldnt fly.

Hey Pedro, if you make it across the field we'll give yo 100 USD and all the soft taco's you can eat.

not sure how instructional it is but you should be able to copy the idea of it .

not sure how instructional it is but you should be able to copy the idea of it .

Im familiar with those. Im looking for something more sophisticate that will pop up for a short time then go back down. Or at very least rotate 90 degrees then return. To give a limited engagement time. Might not be doable within a small budget.

Im familiar with those. Im looking for something more sophisticate that will pop up for a short time then go back down. Or at very least rotate 90 degrees then return. To give a limited engagement time. Might not be doable within a small budget.

Target on a long arm. Connected with belt or gears to an electric motor. Spins in a circle and only appears over the berm in an arc for x seconds. Appears every y RPM.

Put a light foam core target holder on the end of the arm.

If no electricity, use a car battery and a 12v motor. Probably can build from a used starter motor and a ring gear for cheap. If you want to start and stop it, remote control solenoid in the circuit.

Follow me for more hillbilly McGyver shit.

Cheers.

Sirhr

Or 12v linear motor.

Push button, pops out. Let button off, retracts.

In fact, I think I have one new in package left over from another project. I’ll look tomorrow. Yours free. You can buy the actuator/controller kits on Amazon.

Sirhr
    Let me know about that. It would be going to Virginia.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    Get a spinner target. Have the lower plate have a hole in it for a rope to tie to. Weld or bolt on some light angle to protect rope from spawl.

Hide the entire spinner behind a protective barrier that has a tube for the rope to pass through out of sight and protected. You might want to use a cheap section of rope at the plate as a means to deal with inevitable spawl cutting into it. Maybe a piece of PVC to aid in the rope's movement through the barrier.

You pull the rope....the plate angles back/away out of sight. You let it go....it pops back up.

You could make a berm or stack railroad ties or logs and some dirt to the desired height. You might want a angled plate to protect the spinner when you use railroad ties as it doesn't really take much to pass through them in a match setting. The barrier is as much to protect the spinner as it is to obscure it.

Sorry if the drawing isn't up to par. I came up with this about 5min ago
    20230416_214329.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Maggot and DIBBS
    Check out GT Targets they might have something that fits the bill. Unfortunately rifle target steel is expensive now. Give Karl a call he likes to discuss new target ideas.

for some of the best practice on a budget, I get a box of Free kittens at the mall(couple bucks a doz at most..) tie a helium balloon to their tail...

Back on Topic. Might be something here.
    Might try this on my range, need input for myself and OP.
    $40 on amazon

linear actuator.png

I'm thinking if you want a 4-5" plate. balance it (so it doesn't strain the linear actuator.) This one moves 4" at 1.2" per sec.
    It should be possible to have it move a weight - that at, say 2", causes an out of sight top heavy target to flip.

Once hit, it can trigger a sensor to reset.

I might order one.

Reactions: Balor
    It’s your lucky day @Maggot

Not only do I have a linear motor, but the kit comes with a complete electronics package and remote control and instructions.

12vdc. Just hook to a car battery.

I forgot I had a full electronics package with it. Didn’t even remember what I ordered it for until I opened the box. Then I remembered I can’t say. ;-) Ended up using a three axis… thing. It worked.

68094221-6347-47B9-8046-0E620A80D764.jpeg
    44C6A413-7370-40F2-86A9-B7A8D384F9F9.jpeg
    BBDDF6C1-B099-476A-A648-FF256CE6FB94.jpeg

Pm me with where to send it and I’ll ups it tomorrow. It will work perfect for you! No charge. Your tax dollars may have already paid for it!

Sirhr

• Love
    Reactions: Maggot and Pbgt
    Not too difficult to build... The only sticky part is powering it: Batteries or a long extension cord.

Perhaps something powered by a popular brand of cordless tool battery.

Mike

Damn, That Sir guy is generous!

I had to order MY parts today.

I plan to construct a "relatively balanced" axle shaft with a 5" AR500 plate .

Using a gear reduction motor with a coupling to drive the shaft.
    Motor will always be driven unless the optical sensor($20 ) detects light (hole on sensor plate) when AR500 disk approaches top position.

I'll use a NC relay to handle the motor's current.
    When the plate gets hit and falls over, I need to detect that (possible optical sensor) and restart the motor.
    As the plate approached the top, it'll get hinged over to reset.
    I need to figure out how to detect the AR500 plate falling. Maybe it's +12v and it falls on a simple spring (connection to motor)i

All the mechanics will be "protected" from hits or shrapnel off the backstop's plate.

__Hide.jpg

Anyway, my range is all 12V dc (solar, controllers, and batteries), so I'll work around that.
    If I get one to work, then I'll work on a way to randomize 5 of them. Might need to learn Arduino, but I think I can do it with a segmented metal disk (ala roulette wheel)

I think this shit should work.
    criticism appreciated. (its the bear pit)

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    Damn, That Sir guy is generous!

I had to order MY parts today.

I plan to construct a "relatively balanced" axle shaft with a 5" AR500 plate .

Using a gear reduction motor with a coupling to drive the shaft.
    Motor will always be driven unless the optical sensor($20 ) detects light (hole on sensor plate) when AR500 disk approaches top position.

I'll use a NC relay to handle the motor's current.
    When the plate gets hit and falls over, I need to detect that (possible optical sensor) and restart the motor.
    As the plate approached the top, it'll get hinged over to reset.
    I need to figure out how to detect the AR500 plate falling. Maybe it's +12v and it falls on a simple spring (connection to motor)i

All the mechanics will be "protected" from hits or shrapnel off the backstop's plate.

View attachment 8122278

Anyway, my range is all 12V dc (solar, controllers, and batteries), so I'll work around that.
    If I get one to work, then I'll work on a way to randomize 5 of them. Might need to learn Arduino, but I think I can do it with a segmented metal disk (ala roulette wheel)

I think this shit should work.
    criticism appreciated. (its the bear pit)

When you're done, post info. I might be able to do something like that in Lego. You're way too advanced for me, Gunga Din!

Cheers!

Sirhr

It’s your lucky day @Maggot

Not only do I have a linear motor, but the kit comes with a complete electronics package and remote control and instructions.

12vdc. Just hook to a car battery.

I forgot I had a full electronics package with it. Didn’t even remember what I ordered it for until I opened the box. Then I remembered I can’t say. ;-) Ended up using a three axis… thing. It worked.

View attachment 8122259View attachment 8122260View attachment 8122261

Pm me with where to send it and I’ll ups it tomorrow. It will work perfect for you! No charge. Your tax dollars may have already paid for it!

Sirhr
    Thanks, Ill get an address shortly.