• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to build a precision AR without having to sell body parts: a budget SPR journey

bab029

Hammer Mechanic
Minuteman
May 16, 2011
Louisiana
I was researching a 223 bolt action build, when I realized that it's a total buyer's-market on Ar-15 stuff, so it seemed like as good a time as any to build that SPR while I wait on my Ultra-9. So shoot holes in my plan...I really think the Aero M4E1 system is cool, innovative, and offers a nice potential accuracy upgrade for bipod shooting due to the way the barrel nut is better supported, and not use directly as the mounting point. I'm not worried about being able to tart it up every other week with another handguard, so the loss of flexibility there isn't that fatal for me. I want a nicer trigger, but I think the PSA massaged kit may be worth a shot?
PartVendorDescriptionEstimated Cost
UpperGranite RidgeAero M4E1 Black125
LowerLocalAny90
Bolt/CarrierGranite RidgeAero Phosphated115
Lower Part KitGranite RidgePSA Defender MOE Kit w/ Trigger75
Buffer TubeAR15part.comStandard Mil spec35
StockGranite RidgeMagpul ACS75
HandguardGranite RidgeAero Quantum M-Lok100
Gas tubeAR15part.comRifle Length20
BarrelGranite Ridge18" SS, Rifle Length200
Flash HiderThunderbeast1/2-28 CB125
Charging HandleAR15part.comStandard Handle20
Gas BlockAR15part.com.750 Low Pro Melonite20
Scope mountGranite RidgeAero 1"75
MagazinesLocal/Midway(2) - Magpul 10-round30
Total1,105
Update 6/12/17

So I finally got off my butt and ordered the parts. Some are still inbound, but the actual spend is below. After some soul searching, I decided that I have a rep to keep as a cheap bastage, so you'll see that particular character flaw documented below. I'd like a kreiger, bartelin, et.al., but when I saw the ballistic advantage for 150 shipped, I got it on the way. Worst case, I use it as a tomato stake. You know, for science.

I hit some sales and whatnot to knock the price down a bit and came in under 800 after shipping and such without the TBAC mount or any provisions for glass.

Although the EPT is actually pretty good with some moly grease on the surfaces, it does have more creep than I prefer so I'll probably upgrade that when convenient. I'll also probably get an A-5 buffer tube from BCM, but the carbine tube setup was more or less free with the stock so I'll try it. Again, for science.
Aero LowerGunbroker90
LPK minus triggerMidway25
PSA EPT TriggerPSA30
Magpul ACS Stock KitPSA69
BCM Mod3 grip and TGBCM38
BCG+ 10 PMagsPSA129
18" BA SPR BarrelMonomuth150
Aero M4E1Monmouth99
Aero 15" Quantum HGMonmouth89
No-Name CHArfPArt15
No-Name Gas BlockArfPArt20
No-Name Gas TubeArfPArt15
Total769
I've got the lower complete, chucked a scrap of wood in the vise to use as a block and whipped everything together. A brass punch and a 2-lb works just right for putting some torque on the RE nut. The friction lock on the ACS is nice, and the stock itself is chunky without being heavy. The BCM mod3 is a little more vertical than others, is fatter, has a nice attached storage cover, and is stippled tastefully.

The last parts will all be in this week so stay tuned to watch a slack-ass mill hand build a gun. There will be bonding agents and hammers.

A pic of a boring lower for your enjoyment:

IMG_1878.JPG

6/13/17 Update

The barrel and BCG came in last night. Barrel is pretty nicely done, bead blast looks good, machine marks are minimal. The barrel extension appears to be coated, or at least feels pretty slick and the lugs/feed ramps have been smoothed out. No-name gas block fits nice and tight.

image_60369.jpg

Also got a jam up deal on a BCG and 10 pmags from PSA for $130. After my initial testing, I may drop a young's bolt in there to see if I can spot a step change in accuracy, but this one is plenty tight for the money. Seems like not long ago you couldn't buy a pmag for love or money, and now they are damn near giving them away. I suspect these will stay in the wrapper for potential profiteering during the next craze. Need some 20s for prone shooting anyway.

IMG_1885[1].JPG

Upper and HG inbound...

6/15/17: The upper build

The M4E1 is a pretty slick setup, I think. I'm not Mr. Worldwide AR Armorer extreme, but it certainly looks like a stiff setup. The barrel nut has male threads that fit inside the extension forged as part of the upper, and a wrench is included. You'll need a 1/2" square drive to use it. The threaded extension on a standard AR upper looks to be the weak point, with the undercut and all, which this design eliminates. Also, it looks like you get close to double the thread engagement of a standard upper. (Disclaimer- not a company shill)

IMG_1894[1].JPG IMG_1897[1].JPG

Used 609 under the gas block as well. I think the tolerance may be too loose for it to work properly, but I can't help myself. Pardon my disaster of a garage. Science says I'm a genius: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/yourta...b_8579478.html

IMG_1898[1].JPG

8-T20 screws on the handguard, and we're all done but for the muzzle device. I'm preparing my anus for the TBAC CB mount.

IMG_1899[1].JPG

Two pins, and boom, Legos for adults. I'll definitely come up with something lighter than that gen 2 razor for this gun. It's awesome, but weighs near half what the gun does. I'm thinking on trying one of the athlon scopes for this project, but we'll see.

IMG_1900[1].JPG

7/1/17: Range Day!

Needed the Razor for my .260, so I put an old bushnell 4-12 rimfire scope on the AR and grabbed a few boxes of winchester m855 and some monarch steel cased 62gn 223 (5.50 a box!)

With the m855, got near-moa groups during sight in and had no trouble at all hitting an 8" plate at 400 with kentucky windage. As an aside, the duplex reticle in that scope is almost exactly 1 mil from center to where the reticle tapers up. I got a 100 yard zero at the center and 400 at the bottom plus a hair. Handy enough as is to tide me over til i can find a deal/recover the gun fund to get something better. Ive got my eye peeled for a used bushnell 3-12 lrhs.

Had several failures to lock the bolt with the steel cased stuff, but it was flawless with all the 5.56 spec stuff. Ejection with 5.56 is at 4:00 in a neat pile. The PSA nickel whatever plated trigger is surprisingly useful, may get some lighter JP springs for it. It's not crisp by any means, but it is head and shoulders above a parts bin mil spec rip cord.

Overall, I've got pretty high hopes for this gun based on that quick experience. I've got some 75 gn hornady steelmatch and black hills reman 77 smk on the way.

One of my design criteria was cheap factory ammo, but the Nosler 70 gn RDF has my attention as a contender for the local precision rifle club matches...

We shall see, but so far this ballistic advantage barrel is getting 5/5 stars from me. It's more than accurate enough to teach me about the wind without burning expensive components and barrels.

Stay tuned.

Attachments

• IMG_1884[1].JPG
    IMG_1884[1].JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1895[1].JPG
    IMG_1895[1].JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I would find a BCM upper as you have to heat them up to slip fit onto the barrel extension. I have a large frame Aero build, not sure if the rails are the same but I thought the use of shims with a barrel nut is stupid to get a rail to align. If you're going to have a suppressor, I would get an adj. gas block. I would not go cheap on the trigger either.

You can or could buy a Geissele SSA-E from PSA with 10 pmags for $240 recently. You can buy their premium BCG when it's on sale between $90 - 100 and it has the same specs as BCM, which has never been on sale that I've seen. I would probably buy an LPK without a trigger

I'm not familiar with Granite Ridge quality. I don't know what kind of accuracy I would expect for that price barrel. I would spend more and get something else, at least a White Oak, or for your price range I'd try a Green Mountain.

I also don't see that it's a buyer's market for parts when you're buying quality stuff. I would not go with a standard buffer because of the suppressor. I like the ACS stock for scope use but it's a personal fit type of thing to me.

For a few hundred more dollars the below setup uses WAY better parts, better adjust ability and barrels that are proven shooters. You can shave $100 off and go with a cheaper trigger if you want but I wouldnt.

PartVendorDescriptionPrice
UpperBCMBCM M4 (Scratched but NOT blems are $79.99)$79.99
LowerAeroAero Precision Gen2 $80.00
BCGPrimary ArmsYoung Manufactoring or Spikes$150.00
LPKPrimary ARmsAny LPK with no grip or trigger$35.00
Buffer TubePrimary ArmsMilspec Tube (rifle length prefferd)$35.00
BufferPrimary ArmsRifle Length Buffer$25.00
Buffer SpringPrimary ArmsRifle Length Buffer Spring$25.00
StockMagpul ACS ( I would go different route)$75.00
HandguardPrimary ArmsSeekins/Primary 15" Keymod$100.00
Gas TubePrimary ArmsRifle length gas tube$25.00
BarrelBrownellsWOA 18" SPR or Rainier Match 18" SPR$269.00
Flash HiderThunderbeast$125.00
CHBCMMOD4$50.00
Gas BlockSLRSLR Sentry 7 AGB$100.00
MagazinesASCSS magazines allow longest coal QTY 2$40.00
Scope MountAero Aero 1"$75.00
TriggerTriggerGeissele SSA-E$185.00
GripPrimary ARmsERGO or Hogue$20.00
$1,493.99

I'm not familiar with Granite Ridge quality. I don't know what kind of accuracy I would expect for that price barrel. I would spend more and get something else, at least a White Oak, or for your price range I'd try a Green Mountain.

From what I can see, granite ridge is an outlet for Aero Precision, the barrel listed up there is a Ballistic Advantage. I read plenty of good reviews and saw plenty of good groups posted on the scout site to buy with confidence, but as you point out, WOA is not appreciably more money for a lower risk option. Considering it, but may try them out. For Science.

For the trigger, I may upgrade to a nice two stage but left it off here because a rifle build is at risk for severe mission creep, especially with me at the helm. Plus, I'd like to tinker around and see what I can get out of a basic trigger. Again, for Science.

I'll add an adjustable block for sure. Any specific reason I'd go with the SLR, vs Seekins, et al.? The Seekins it 70 bux..

Am I hearing that a rifle length tube will be better for suppressed use? Will I be limited to fixed stocks?

Padom- who's got an SSA-E for $185. I'd buy one just to build another rifle around it...

OP- the trigger and the barrel (blame Padom for turning me on to WOA) are the only things that stand out to me: I'm partial to Geissle triggers; if you can get an SSA-E for under $200, get one, as that's a great deal. I put one on my precision build. More recenlty I put a G2S on a 'truck gun' build and it's an awesome trigger. Not quite as expensive as the SSA-E, but waaaay better than the Rock River 2 stage on my factory carbine.

You didn't mention glass; perhaps saving that for another thread?

I would find a BCM upper as you have to heat them up to slip fit onto the barrel extension. I have a large frame Aero build, not sure if the rails are the same but I thought the use of shims with a barrel nut is stupid to get a rail to align.

The Areo M4E1 upper has a mount built in for the FF rail. Barrel nut only holds the barrel in and has zero to do with alignment of the FF rail. It also accepts Seekins FF rails.

Padom-

I've got a scope around here that will do the trick while I put away the money for a competent optic. 2.5-10 Nightforce, or similar. Maybe bonus time 2018 will be good to me at work.

Ultimately, I just want a nice, accurate, all-around rifle without breaking the bank. (Scrawny southeastern) Whitetail, coyote, steel out to 700-800, 1000 for kicks, etc. I had a clapped out Armalite carbine that i sold in 2013 for a healthy profit, it was just a loud inaccurate bullet hose. I'm following the concept of the SPR because, as the man said, "only accurate rifles are interesting".

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I strongly prefer the Raptor charging handle to the BCM.
WOA barrels are excellent - so were the Granite Ridge/BA Hanson ones
I found the TriggerTech trigger to be extremely good - my g-triggers came out for them.
The smoothness of the gun will depend on the finish inside the buffer tube, the type of spring you use (A chrome silicon is recommended IMHO, like a Sprinco), and the finish on the BCG. Most rifle buffer tubes have excellent interior finish.
You might consider a Radian 45deg safety lever.
I don't see any handguard at primary arms for $100. Maybe I am wrong.

I have found the Superlative Arms gas block to be superlative. Much better than my S7 or Syrac blocks.

From what I can see, granite ridge is an outlet for Aero Precision, the barrel listed up there is a Ballistic Advantage. I read plenty of good reviews and saw plenty of good groups posted on the scout site to buy with confidence, but as you point out, WOA is not appreciably more money for a lower risk option. Considering it, but may try them out. For Science.

For the trigger, I may upgrade to a nice two stage but left it off here because a rifle build is at risk for severe mission creep, especially with me at the helm. Plus, I'd like to tinker around and see what I can get out of a basic trigger. Again, for Science.

I'll add an adjustable block for sure. Any specific reason I'd go with the SLR, vs Seekins, et al.? The Seekins it 70 bux..

Am I hearing that a rifle length tube will be better for suppressed use? Will I be limited to fixed stocks?

I've looked at the Granite Ridge site before. What didn't impress me were their prices for BA barrels. I recall them being really high on the 6.5CM barrels. I have an 18" BA .308 barrel, not the premium, and paid $144 for it, so $200 for an 18" BA .223 is a little high to me.

You should probably not tinker the trigger into a double tapper. You can get an ALG ACT for $65. 4.5 lb., no creep.

Your list has an ACS, a carbine stock. I'm saying with a suppressor, you'll probably have a stock CAR buffer in your junk drawer along with that trigger soon. I would probably buy an H2 out of the gate.

The Areo M4E1 upper has a mount built in for the FF rail. Barrel nut only holds the barrel in and has zero to do with alignment of the FF rail. It also accepts Seekins FF rails.

That thing looks like the next F up to fix the first one. It does however answer the question, what if we made a bunch of rails first and had a really bad idea to mount them?

That thing looks like the next F up to fix the first one. It does however answer the question, what if we made a bunch of rails first and had a really bad idea to mount them?

I'm budgeting for a better trigger now.

But on the aero/seekins handguard system, why is it an bad system? What was the first fuck up you mention? Why is the standard barrel nut superior for mounting a handguard? No attitude here, honest questions...

I'm budgeting for a better trigger now.

But on the aero/seekins handguard system, why is it an bad system? What was the first fuck up you mention? Why is the standard barrel nut superior for mounting a handguard? No attitude here, honest questions...

No attitude on my part either, just my honest opinion. The first mistake in my opinion was the barrel nut with shims because torquing and timing a barrel nut for the gas tube isn't enough enjoyment. Let's make it last longer by adding shims into the equation for timing. In a production environment I imagine this makes building uppers really slow.

So it looks like they moved the problem off the barrel nut to the upper receiver itself. Just what, IMO, we need is more proprietary parts. Your rail is mounted via 8 small flathead screws, I have to question the durability of that even if I'm not a Seal Ranger shuttle door gunner.

I don't understand how many CNC machines across this country I'll have to buy in order to get a rail under $150-ish. I usually buy MI stuff. I'm not saying their mount is the best but once the barrel nut is timed for the gas tube you just slide the rail on and a couple of larger allen head screws clamp it at 6 o'clock.

I think someone has a barrel nut design that takes the gas tube timing out as well. I'm not an engineer but if I was designing a barrel nut and wrenches, I might look at something with a hexagonal shape.

The aero system doesn't require timing, or shims as far as I understand. 8 grade-8 m5s isn't weak for the application. I'll let you know how it works out.

Perhaps to someone without a clue it looks that way.

I have one. It's about 5x better than the VLTOR monolithic upper I replaced with it, at a lower weight, for less money, and with a better perfectly aligned FF handguard.

The aero system doesn't require timing, or shims as far as I understand. 8 grade-8 m5s isn't weak for the application. I'll let you know how it works out.

The system used to use shims, that's what I'm saying, think of a muzzle device with shims for timing. I'm not sure I want harder steel fasteners into aluminum. You asked for a critique, I gave you one. I wish you the best of luck and hope it shoots well.

Perhaps to someone without a clue it looks that way.

Ouch, does this mean I'm clueless? My first insult, thank you. I'm glad we can still have differing opinions in this world without the animosity. I'll explain it again. I bought an M5 large frame upper with their rail over a year ago. It came with very thin shims the diameter of the barrel nut that you needed to time it. Just because YOU sir don't know anything about that doesn't give me an excuse to belittle you.

Primary Arms has been running sales on SSA-E for $185 every month for thr past few months. Get on their email blast. They also have their PA/Seekins 15" Keymod onsale for $99 about every 30 days as well. I have 5 of them....

Padom- who's got an SSA-E for $185. I'd buy one just to build another rifle around it...

OP- the trigger and the barrel (blame Padom for turning me on to WOA) are the only things that stand out to me: I'm partial to Geissle triggers; if you can get an SSA-E for under $200, get one, as that's a great deal. I put one on my precision build. More recenlty I put a G2S on a 'truck gun' build and it's an awesome trigger. Not quite as expensive as the SSA-E, but waaaay better than the Rock River 2 stage on my factory carbine.

I have a new SSA-E you can have for 185 shipped..

OP for $1300 you can get a complete SPR Rifle with a Bartlein or Krieger barrel Compass Lake Eng..

Thanks, but that's a bit more that I want to have into this thing. As mentioned above, I can probably be in the whole thing right around a grand if I pick up a few deals along the way.

On trigger, anyone used one of the triggertech drop ins? I've felt their 700 triggers and they are pretty nice.

I have one one it is excellent. Additionally, the m4e1 does not use or require shims, and the mounting system for the rail won't be coming loose if done right. Or breaking under any circumstances that are less catastrophic than others.

Thanks, but that's a bit more that I want to have into this thing. As mentioned above, I can probably be in the whole thing right around a grand if I pick up a few deals along the way.

On trigger, anyone used one of the triggertech drop ins? I've felt their 700 triggers and they are pretty nice.

WOA for the barrel, had very impressive results.

might consider a gemtech supressed carrier and std gas system

Geissle

the rest is honestly personal taste and budget

I was one of the first SDM instructors at SBASC, Ft. Lewis back in '02-'04. Best job I ever had, most fun by far. We used modified Colt M4's, very primitive by today's standards, but we did have a dream rifle we wanted. If you go and look up the "Recce" rifle it's that EXACT build with KAC parts, SOPMOD stock, Geissele trigger (or KAC for their lower). Full length rail. We may have chosen a Satern or other barrel but may have chosen Lijla also, who knows. I have this rifle with an ACOG, Harris, etc. It has a Geissele trigger like all my AR's do save the rack grades and the SR-25. This rifle is good for .5-.7MOA and is chambered in 5.56 or whatever Lijla chambers their navy barrels in. It's a 1/8.

I had another dream rifle that was a 20" with a fixed stock, an A2 but nicer. Same rifle as above but it got upgraded with a SOPMOD stock too and a KAC Keymod tube, MUCH lighter, simpler, longer and basically turns the upper into a monolithic. It's a one piece tube unlike any of their others. This rifle also has the Geissele adj. trigger, it's the BEST trigger I've ever used in any AR by far, only reason I don't use 'em more is that they have set screws, though I must admit they've never even come loose with blue Loctite. It's also a Grendel and has seen a fair amount of use but is also a .33MOA rifle with far more KE and useable range. It sports a Mk4 M/RT currently but used to use a USO LR-17. The change shaved a LOT of weight off that particular rifle.

Both are excellent rifles, the first one is more military and uses 5.56 while the second one is my own personal design and uses the 6.5G and a few other changes. The second one represents the "pinnacle" of an AR SDM rifle IMO/E.

A factory KAC rifle is also adequate, wish I'd used them after I found out their trigger is good enough to not be changed out. Their lowers, if you like a good trigger and the SOPMOD stock, are hard to beat given they have the proprietary ambi features. An LMT SOPMOD lower is $450+ and still needs a trigger. Can't build 'em for less without compromising on quality. Wish I'd gotten M110's when I was in, but they were new back then and only snipers had 'em.

Wonder what SDM's use at different units today, or if they ever settled on a universal SDMR.

TriggerTech Adjustable Trigger $209.

AR PERFORMANCE, Larue, or Lothar Walther barrel $190-250.

Superlative Arms AGB $100.

Add those and you will be in the sweet spot for price/performance.

If you got the PSA premium bcg with the PMAGs, yeah that's the deal to watch for. Interested in hearing a range report on that barrel. Kind of weird but I noticed that only the premium 18" has the 1/8 twist, the others are 1/7.

Last edited:
Yeah, the psa deal is a good one. I missed it once, but it came back around. I think 1/8 will be fine for anything I can shoot out of a magazine. Can't wait to shoot this thing.

Yeah, the psa deal is a good one. I missed it once, but it came back around. I think 1/8 will be fine for anything I can shoot out of a magazine. Can't wait to shoot this thing.

1/8 exactly, and I'm not interested in shooting anything heavier than 77s or over mag length. That's why I'd like to see how this barrel does for you. As much as I like WOA, they seem to all be 1/7 and some shoot 75s, some won't. Also about to try the Hornady 73s in a Rock River 1/8 barrel myself.

Ouch, does this mean I'm clueless? My first insult, thank you. I'm glad we can still have differing opinions in this world without the animosity. I'll explain it again. I bought an M5 large frame upper with their rail over a year ago. It came with very thin shims the diameter of the barrel nut that you needed to time it. Just because YOU sir don't know anything about that doesn't give me an excuse to belittle you.

Hey Mike, I think you are confusing the M4/5 with the M4E/5E. The M4E in this build allows the barrel to be torqued without regard to handguard or gas tube timing.

...Or... Stag Model 6H Upper, on sale for $380, reg $595.

...And Stag A2 Lower Half, $300.

...And Stag 2-Stage Match Trigger. $110

Grand total $790, 1/2MOA performance. No wrenches, no organlegger transactions..

The Stag Model 6 Super Varminter $1055, 1/2MOA is guaranteed, It is composed of exactly the same three components. Mine performs to the guarantee, and has done so for about about the past decade.

You can remove the A2 stock and replace it on the A2 buffer tube with the Luth AR Stock for $58, or $141, as I did (MBA-1 $141). With thsi stock, I can fire the rifle comfortably (I'm 6' 5 1/2", and so can my 20 y/o Granddaughter, 5' 3").

Greg

Last edited:
Hey Mike, I think you are confusing the M4/5 with the M4E/5E. The M4E in this build allows the barrel to be torqued without regard to handguard or gas tube timing.

The E1 or E's, yes, I see what they've done. The previous versions (at least the M5) use shims. It's simply a personal preference for me. I don't want to shim a barrel nut AND a muzzle device. They're pics already out with people breaking off screws on the E1 version but that very well could be gorillas over torquing.

Small frame ARs at least have somewhat of a standard whereas large frames don't. Developing an upper receiver that only works with certain rails is not what I consider a good idea, but that's simply my opinion.

If that was the original intent of the best way to mount these rails, why weren't the uppers brought out simultaneously? It doesn't appear to me that anybody was trying to develop a monolithic upper when the rail mounted to a barrel nut previously. You would have a hard time convincing me one way is better than the other but it certainly is easier to assemble them now.

As i thought when everything was a quad rail, how much does brand matter when it's MLOK or Keymod? As Average Joe, not much to me as long as it's not a Chinese knock-off. The only exceptions I see are people trying to build 5 lb. rifles. Sorry for the sidetrack.

...Or... Stag Model 6H Upper, on sale for $380, reg $595.

...And Stag A2 Lower Half, $300.

...And Stag 2-Stage Match Trigger. $110

Grand total $790, 1/2MOA performance. No wrenches, no organlegger transactions..

The Stag Model 6 Super Varminter $1055, 1/2MOA is guaranteed, It is composed of exactly the same three components. Mine performs to the guarantee, and has done so for about about the past decade.

You can remove the A2 stock and replace it on the A2 buffer tube with the Luth AR Stock for $58, or $141, as I did (MBA-1 $141). With thsi stock, I can fire the rifle comfortably (I'm 6' 5 1/2", and so can my 20 y/o Granddaughter, 5' 3").

Greg

Thanks for the input Greg. I had a 24" ar very similar to the 6H, and found that the weight plus the 1:12 twist were a bit contrary to what I was after. This guy I estimate to be in the 6 to 7-pound range (sans-optic) and won't be completely unwieldy (only moderately so) with my 9" can on the end.

In this case (at least for me) putting it all together was also part of the journey. Not that ARs are complicated (I built my upper while I manned the grill for a cookout for crying out loud), but they must be more nuanced than legos as I alluded earlier...I get at least as much enjoyment from not leaving well enough alone as I do from anything else.

I agree on all counts. No question, the Stag 6 is a hefty beastie, with a pronounced forward weight bias. The most significant factor IMHO is the simple fact that the entire package is a factory refined construct, and carries warrantee and 1/2MOA accuracy guarantees. That forward weight bias makes it an able competitor with the bipod on the F T/R 600yd line.

The Stag Model 6 24" Stainless Bull barrel assembly has a 1:8" rifling twist. This 24" 5.56 NATO barrel assembly has a heavy bull barrel profile and is the same assembly used on their Model 6 rifle. This barrel assembly has a 1/8 twist. It includes all the parts needed to attach it to an upper receiver, including the gas system and Hogue overmolded aluminum handguard.

At my age, Run-n-Gun is not a particularly tempting option, although I did build one anyway.

Even though I sourced all my parts (but one, a Stag 16" M-4 barrel, crowned and without a muzzle device) at cheapest price as available from Amazon (but not available from Amazon any more...[more 'assault weapon' craziness]); it shoots at least as well as I can.

That Stag barrel drives tacks, and that's an especially good thing since I firmly believe that the barrel makes the AR. Being that it's 16" and 1:9", I haven't tried loads heavier than 62gr. I'm pretty sure 69gr Match loads would work, and not at all sure about 75's. With Federal 62gr MSR Fusion loads, this barrel makes for one capable lightweight rifle; and I keep a hundred rounds of that magged up for that and the Mossberg MVP Predator; accurate and hard hitting for a .223

I also have a special yearning for the Lothar-Walther AR barrel offerings.

I especially like your sig-tag line. Pushing beyond adversity has become a common accompaniment to my existence. It wasn't intentional; it was just necessary.

I recognize that your post went differently from my experience. My aim was to take advantage of the interest your post should generate in others, and to offer a rather simpler approach to them that delivers good performance affordably, and with minimal hassles.

Greg

Last edited:
With Federal 62gr MSR Fusion loads, this barrel makes for one capable lightweight rifle; and I keep a hundred rounds of that magged up for that and the Mossberg MVP Predator; accurate and hard hitting for a .223

I especially like your sig-tag line. Pushing beyond adversity has become a common accompaniment to my existence. It wasn't intentional; it was just necessary.

Greg

I have high hopes for the hornady steel match 75 grain offering. I've seen it perform pretty well in the local club match before. I'll probably pick up some of that federal to try as well for the deer woods come fall. Capable, light, and easily fed were the key bets here. I 'm sure I'll load some, but I'm more interested in economical factory chow that I can pick up any time....