• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to: build your own data book. Easy and Cheap

tip2oo3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2010
SE Ohio
I needed a cheap data book to tide me over until I can free up enough funds to buy a nice data book. Here are the steps I used to build my own for under $15.00:
db1001.jpg

Step 1- Obtain a binder. I picked up an AVERY mini binder from staples for around $9.00. Part # 23011

Step 2- Pick up a pack of 5"x8" index cards. I purchased a pack of 100 from Walmart for $2or$3

Step 3- Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Reader to read .pdf files

Step 4- Go to Hooper Ordnance's website. Under Downloads choose Logbook - http://hooperordnance.com/page3.aspx
shootingvoodoo.com has some nice pages also.

Step 5- Insert your index cards into the printer and hit the print button located within adobe reader

Step 6- You'll need to change the printer properties to fit the index cards
A.Click Properties button and change the orientation to landscape. Next hit the Paper/Quality tab in the upper right. Change paper size to 5x8 index card. Hit OK to save the changes

B. Change the Tile Scale from 100% to 85% ( If you check cut marks and uncheck it, it will show a dotted lines between your 2 sheets.

Screen Should look like so before printing
db32.jpg

You can also choose how many copies of each page you can print. I personally have way more torso pages than circles.

Step 7-Next measure out the spacing of your binder circles and take a paper punch to your cards. If you make one "master card" you can punch the rest of your holes using that template.

Step 8- Insert pages and enjoy
db1002.jpg

A Big thank you goes out to Hooper Ordnance for having these pages online to use. A+

Updated thread with RiteinRain paper and new materials-
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2579768#Post2579768

Re: How to: build your own data book. Easy and Cheap

Good idea, keep it dry.
Printer ink might run if it gets wet.

Agreed, Once the Dog gets better and the vet bills disappear I'll have a nice rite in the rain book. Until then, make do.

Mark or Tony don't charge that much for there Data Books, I went down this road already, I perfer a Storm or Impact over DIY's YMMV.

Looks great.

BTW, LTR David was the original source for the free download logbook that is on my site.

Looks good, a friend and I made some like that but we did not use index cards, just really thick paper from Staples, so we had to cut ours.

If you wanna make your own, we have the 3 ring binders that fit the half sheet of paper with 3 hole punch, or the mini binder with 6 rings, both in industry standard sizes. Then you would have a standard size book if you wanted to add some commercial filler pages, and add a nice zipper cover from us or one of the other vendors. Just another idea thrown out there.

We at Storm Tactical do not take any pay for doing these books, our book sale profits go to support www.AmericanSnipers.org

Mark & The Crew

coverring.jpg

DSCN3323web.jpg

DSCN2474web.jpg

Cool how to.

Also to show my support for Mark and Nomad I will also say for those who opt to go with a purchased product, both make fantastic solutions for data books
smile.gif

Very cool post, I to have made my own data book. I even made my own cover for my book with some pro-tuff canvas and a sewing machine......works for what I need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wobbly308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get rite in the rain inkjet paper.

$73.95 for 100 sheets</div></div>

I wouldn't recommend that paper for a DIY data book, IMO it would just take too much work to make the finished product. This is what I use and recommend:

http://www.optactical.com/riinraloleco.html

It's half the price with more paper in the pack and it comes in green or tan. Pick up the field binder and check out some pages HERE and you're on your way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wobbly308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get rite in the rain inkjet paper.

$73.95 for 100 sheets</div></div>

I wouldn't recommend that paper for a DIY data book, IMO it would just take too much work to make the finished product. This is what I use and recommend:

http://www.optactical.com/riinraloleco.html

It's half the price with more paper in the pack and it comes in green or tan. Pick up the field binder and check out some pages HERE and you're on your way. </div></div>

Thank You for the reference and heads up on the paper.

Get yourself a Rite in the Rain 5 x 3.5 notebook and draw your own pretty pictures instead of carting around these behemoths which take up a whole compartment in your go bag. You can carry an extra 80 rounds of ammo, extra food/water with the space these data books take up.

great info

just put one together for myself

I agree to support the guys here on the site.. their books aren't that expensive for the quality you get they are well worth it..

But for those that aren't sure if you need/want a full fledge range book or not sure what you need in yours when ordering.. this is a cheap way to start.

Here is a good site to that you can download pages from for free:
http://www.shootingvoodoo.com/index.php/library/

I'm confused. index card that's 5x8? I didn't even know they had ones that big

and also, every data log page that I found has 2 on each page.

well how am I supposed to fit 2 of them into one index card?

I can't print 'half' of the data page on the printer ya know...

plus I don't have a index card option for size. I made a custom size, which should be ok, but I can't seem to understand how I can fit 1 pdf page that has 2 data logs onto 1 flashcard.

on the OP's printing setup, it shows '2' pages. I guess his split it into 2.... can't figure out how to do this

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm confused. index card that's 5x8? I didn't even know they had ones that big

plus I don't have a index card option for size. I made a custom size, which should be ok, but I can't seem to understand how I can fit 1 pdf page that has 2 data logs onto 1 flashcard.

on the OP's printing setup, it shows '2' pages. I guess his split it into 2.... can't figure out how to do this </div></div>

Yes they make 5x8 Index Cards, got mine at wallyworld
I know the original format shows two to a page (made for 8x11 sheet) but if you follow the steps it will print one per card. 1 Page will make two seperate cards.

Mark and crew, do you currently sell those data books with the "Send it" logo on them, like in the picture above? I didn't see them on your site that way. I'm very interested in ordering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tip2oo3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm confused. index card that's 5x8? I didn't even know they had ones that big

on the OP's printing setup, it shows '2' pages. I guess his split it into 2.... can't figure out how to do this </div></div>

Yes they make 5x8 Index Cards, got mine at wallyworld
I know the original format shows two to a page (made for 8x11 sheet) but if you follow the steps it will print one per card. 1 Page will make two seperate cards. </div></div>

apparentlty my adobe reader doesn't have tile all pages.

I had to do current view and zoom in just right (about 160%) and then center it on the view to print it. it was a pita, but it was alright. then I printed the same stuff on the back page

I was looking for stuff such as this in Staples the other day. I found the big notecards, some with lines and some without. For some reason, they were having a closeout on the unlined ones i needed. I bought 500 for about $2! Picked up a box to hold the ones that will not be in my book, and walked out for about $6. Now if I can find a local printer to run some of those pages, I will be gtg.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark and crew, do you currently sell those data books with the "Send it" logo on them, like in the picture above? I didn't see them on your site that way. I'm very interested in ordering. </div></div>

They are not on the site, you need to email, since they were a limited production run and sold fast, we have a few left. Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get yourself a Rite in the Rain 5 x 3.5 notebook and draw your own pretty pictures instead of carting around these behemoths which take up a whole compartment in your go bag. You can carry an extra 80 rounds of ammo, extra food/water with the space these data books take up. </div></div>

BattleAxe you are soooooooo right. The last time my sniper team was deployed our mission was almost a disaster because of those behemoths.

It was a Sunday morning we roll out of the sack at 0500. My CO rolled over and told me the mess hall was closed and I would have to get my own coffee and breakfast.

So I grabbed my dragbag and went on a forced march out to my 4x4 Chevy Silverado in the driveway. (it's never been off the pavement)I enter the objective in my GPS. (I knew where it was, But I like playing with my GPS)

My sniper team assembled at the Waffle House at 0630. After some coffee, cigarettes and breakfast my sniper team was ready to go.

So we mounted up in our 4x4's (That have never been off the pavement) and headed for our objective. (Using our GPS's of course)

We arrived at the objective at 0745 and learned the objective didn't open up until 0800. We had to wait. This was not going well and a ol salt like me was getting nervous. You know when things start going wrong they snowball.

Well by the time the enemy lines opened up and we all peed and payed our fee's for the assault and got our gear setup ( we're also a bunch of gear ho's)it was 0830.

We were ready to began our assault. It was then we realized these
behemoths had taken up all our room and we didn't have MRI's or water. (Not even snacks).

So we sent our scout out to do a little recon. Luckily he found vending machines and came back with some cold drinks and snacks.

Then the ladies auxiliary showed up doing a fund raiser and sold us grilled hamburgers and chips.

At 1300 our mission a success we decided to DT out of there and head to the LZ for some cold brewski's and cheese nachos.

Then it was time to head back to the fire base for a afternoon nap.

-DON

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don-n-Texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BattleAxe you are soooooooo right. The last time my sniper team was deployed our mission was almost a disaster because of those behemoths.

It was a Sunday morning we roll out of the sack at 0500. My CO rolled over and told me the mess hall was closed and I would have to get my own coffee and breakfast.

So I grabbed my dragbag and went on a forced march out to my 4x4 Chevy Silverado in the driveway. (it's never been off the pavement)I enter the objective in my GPS. (I knew where it was, But I like playing with my GPS)

My sniper team assembled at the Waffle House at 0630. After some coffee, cigarettes and breakfast my sniper team was ready to go.

So we mounted up in our 4x4's (That have never been off the pavement) and headed for our objective. (Using our GPS's of course)

We arrived at the objective at 0745 and learned the objective didn't open up until 0800. We had to wait. This was not going well and a ol salt like me was getting nervous. You know when things start going wrong they snowball.

Well by the time the enemy lines opened up and we all peed and payed our fee's for the assault and got our gear setup ( we're also a bunch of gear ho's)it was 0830.

We were ready to began our assault. It was then we realized these
behemoths had taken up all our room and we didn't have MRI's or water. (Not even snacks).

So we sent our scout out to do a little recon. Luckily he found vending machines and came back with some cold drinks and snacks.

Then the ladies auxiliary showed up doing a fund raiser and sold us grilled hamburgers and chips.

At 1300 our mission a success we decided to DT out of there and head to the LZ for some cold brewski's and cheese nachos.

Then it was time to head back to the fire base for a afternoon nap.

-DON

</div></div>

LOL, just spit on my keyboard

I was thinking my sniper team didn't need rite in the rain paper. Every time it looks like rain we load up and DT out of there and head to the LZ for some cold brewski's and cheese nachos. But they have been known to spill a brewski's on the table and cheese can be a problem too.

-Don

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, just spit on my keyboard </div></div>

Glad you liked it. lol I had fun writing it.

interesting thread, thanks for the info and laughs..

Omfg! That is funny. Shot copenhagen out my nose while my FO's (kids) were going over there op order (i.e. homework)