• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing How to carry my fishing gear?

MBanning

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2013
NC
I haven't seen many fishing posts lately but I'm looking for some suggestions. I want a more comfortable way to carry my gear.

I like to fly fish when I get a chance and often hike off the beaten path a ways (day trips of a mile or 2).

I have been using a traditional fishing vest for years. I don't carry a lot of tackle, a couple leaders, 2 tippet spools, small fly box, fly floatant, forceps, that's about it. The extra junk I carry is what becomes a bother. I often shed an extra layer or rain jacket, a water bottle, lunch, snacks, etc... These bulky items get packed in the rear pouch of the vest and it sucks.

I have worn the vest with a small day pack but the vest pockets and pack straps don't play well together. I have also tried only the day pack. This is the most comfortable but I have to drop the pack to get anything from the pockets. I really want easier access to my fly box and I have to keep forceps in reach for quick fly removal. I will not wear a pack with a waist belt while fishing so adding pockets there isn't an option( if I slip in the water I want out of the pack pdq).

I have seen chest packs but I've never tried one. Most seem kind of bulky. I don't want a big pack on my back and one on my chest. I also want a clear view of my feet when wading or climbing.

I guess I'm looking for compact chest pack suggestions that work well with a back pack or maybe a better idea that hasn't crossed my mind.

Thank you for looking and I appreciate any help you can offer, MBanning

This is what you seek, the Umpqua Rock Creek chest pack. I have young kids, so I only get to go fishing when I take them along. I normally wear a Thule kid carrier back pack with this chest rig and it works out very well. I also have the larger model that lets me carry 3 fly boxes and some snacks for the youngling so I can just pass a Scoobey-snack over my shoulder when the inevitable request is spoken. They also make a fantastic wading belt that has a net holder in the back, but that sometimes interferes with a regular backpack (a total no-go with a kid carrier backpack).
Umpqua changes their gear every year, so my models may be slightly different, but this is the general idea.
Bottom line, these are bomb proof and loaded with little features to make fishing and storing gear simpler. Get yourself a simple backpack for jackets, etc. and use the chest rig for everything else. I was not a fan when I first saw them but I'm never going back to a vest or hip pack.

Reactions: MBanning
Thanks for the help! I will check those options out for sure.

I'm leaning more toward the chest pack. I like the option to ditch the backpack on the bank and rock-hop out to fish a hole while still having the fishing gear on me.

I've been looking some this am, any reviews for Marsupial Gear or FHF Gear? They make some smaller packs that seem to be well built.

I have zero experience with the 2 manufacturers that you listed, but their websites and gear look nice.

Here is another plug for the Umpqua - this is the version my brother has (from ~3 years ago, and it's on blowout clearance right now) and it comes with a small back pack that can be left at home and/or swapped out for the standard harness. For that price, I would just get this and experiment with it, see if you like the chest rig, see if the included backpack is big enough to haul the things you don't need all the time, etc.

20140125_135317.jpg

(laughing) You wanna know how to carry your fishing gear? THIS is how you carry your fishing gear!
Australian cowboys stopped in for lunch and a few beers, The Bark Hut, Northern Territory, 2014. Note the fishing rod strapped to the skid. Talk about "fly fishing"...!

Check out orvis and filson. They have have fly fishing single strap style bags that allows one to slide the bag around without taking it off to access the bag. The single strap across the chest will also allow your vest to be used more if you desire.

if you don't have a lot of kids to carry all your gear you could hire these guys on your fishing expeditions
1603115905105.png

lol

Fishpond has some great products. If I am hiking it’s a Simms backpack with a Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack inside. I take that out. It holds Bear Spray, water bottle plus plenty of gear. If you have a small shell it would fit in there and you could ditch the backpack entirely. A lot of the time I will unclip the waist belt and use it as a sling pack.

I would look at sling packs also. I have been using them for awhile now. I am currently using the water proof Orvis one and can fit a bunch of gear in it. Usually 3 fly boxes, leaders, tippet, snacks, water etc. with no problem. They stay out of the way and when needed you just unclip the chest strap and sling it around to the front for easy access.

I use the Fishpond Thunderhead chest pack. It is small, but makes me think out what to take. I also do a lot of bushwhacking to get to my spots so light, out of the way and waterproof is key for me.

Totally separate deal. To help you minimize a bit. Get the mitten clamps with the scissors. It saves you from digging out nippers and one less thing to grab. MFC makes some nice ones. When I go fishing with the kids for walk and wade it’s one fly box and a spool of 3x and 4x and a bottle of floatant. Going out of the raft or drift boat is a different story. Then it’s two Patagonia boat bags filled to the brim. 😂

Sort of depends on how bulky you can tolerate. I trout fish a lot with Spinning tackle. I use duck hunting waders, so I have a lot of pockets and shell holders on the font of my waders. I stick my ready access tools up front and keep my tackle in a small shimano backpack in a couple of plastic boxes. This works great for me, the only caveat being that I never tie up without a bank to lay my pack on. Where I fish, this is never a problem.

I've used Fishpond, Umpqua and Simms and they work well enough.

Starting last year, I decided to go a bit more modular and push into 1-2 night adventures; sorta catch and cook, no catch no eat.

That said, a little more gear was needed so I went piece meal with gear from:

Gave me a little more latitude for stuff and importantly carry option for my G20SF.

Overall it's not overtly light but fits me well and allows me to carry what I want and how I want it.

Good luck!

If, I wanted a chest rig, hill people gear, or spiritus.

I don’t fly fish but I have done some hiking with my spinning rig and use a take down eagle pole, in a backpack.