• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to clean chamber

Aaron47pb

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2014
Moscow, ID
How are you all cleaning your chambers? I’ve never really paid much attention to them, just focusing on the bore and throats. But I have a barrel where the case neck isn’t sealing perfectly and fired cases have carbon on the neck and shoulder. So carbon is accumulating in the shoulder area.

Not sure this is the best answer, but I use a 9mm bore mop and wrap a patch around it. Wet it with Hoppes powder solvent and use a pistol rod to push it into the chamber. let it sit awhile , then use clean patches to clean up...So far its worked for me but looking foward to other answers as well.

As stated above, I'll use an oversized (for the bore; so it won't go into the bore when I put forward pressure on it) mop or patch through patch loop, and soak it with my elixir of choice. Once clean, oil it the same way.

I've used chamber mops and Tipton Shooter Swabs...

For a related question....how are you guys cleaning the inside of the muzzle brakes on a brake that is permanently attatched? Getting the inside crown and everything?

I just use an oversize square patch, fold it in half and wrap it around my cleaning rod jag (parker hale style) then shove into the chamber and twist. Only solvent I use is what spilled into the chamber from cleaning the barrel.

I just use an oversize square patch, fold it in half and wrap it around my cleaning rod jag (parker hale style) then shove into the chamber and twist. Only solvent I use is what spilled into the chamber from cleaning the barrel.

I’m already doing this. But I’m shooting a 6.5 PRC suppressed 100% of the time and my neck appears to be “loose”. I’m having major carbon build up on the shoulder. So much that a factory round wasn’t headspacing/chambering without force. Ended up getting a round to chamber without too much force and after firing the case came out with a solid film of caked carbon on shoulder. So I need some more serious measures.

45 mop on a cordless drill with a good carbon remover...mercury power tune works good on carbon as does CLR if you have nasty build up...if you try the CLR make sure you clean it out good.

I clean chamber after I've cleaned bore, letting solvent that drips from bore guide to bore do its thing. I use a 45 cal brass bore brush, with looped end, to "screw in" to chamber and then pull it out. Then I use a 50 cal bore mop to clean chamber out. After this I hold rifle muzzle down and blast brake parts cleaner down chamber and bore, washes crud away, then a couple dry patches down bore.