• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to clean the barrel on a rifle with no access to the breech

scudzuki

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2012
Philadelphia suburbs
FN finally sent me a replacement for my FNAR that I could not get to meet their 1 MOA guarantee.
Apparently they could not get it to shoot, either.

There is no access from the breech on this weapon.

I know we are always supposed to clean from the chamber to the muzzle, but with this weapon (and other weapons as well, I'm sure) it's not possible to push a jag through the barrel.

Do I just clean from the muzzle?

I have a Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rod and I use plastic jags.

I've seen flexible pull-style cleaning apparatus but other than a few bore snakes, I don't have one.

What say ye?

Joe

Attachments

• FNAR-16.jpg
    FNAR-16.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 50
Turn rifle so opening of action is pointing down and run a rod from the muzzle in the barrel .Best to use a bore guide made of brass or the newer slick plastics .They make them for Garand's so you should be able to find something that works .In my Garand I leave an old fired case in the chamber for the first couple of patches and just shove the dirt into the case . Arnie

Turn rifle so opening of action is pointing down and run a rod from the muzzle in the barrel .Best to use a bore guide made of brass or the newer slick plastics .They make them for Garand's so you should be able to find something that works .In my Garand I leave an old fired case in the chamber for the first couple of patches and just shove the dirt into the case . Arnie

I could whip up a guide out of plastic, good idea.
I like the empty case/dirt catcher gizmo, too.
Thanks.

Joe

Not sure about the FNC, but in a situation like that I generally run the cleaning rod down the barrel from the muzzle end, insert the brush through the ejection port and thread it onto the rod, then pull it back out breach to muzzle. Can take a bit of fiddling.

Not sure about the FNC, but in a situation like that I generally run the cleaning rod down the barrel from the muzzle end, insert the brush through the ejection port and thread it onto the rod, then pull it back out breach to muzzle. Can take a bit of fiddling.

I've done that with a brush before (it's a challenge getting the brush threaded on through the ejection port/mag well) but you can't pull a jag.

I've also pulled the tool that looks like the eye of a needle with a patch through it but it doesn't work nearly as well as pushing a patch wrapped over a jag.

Joe

Most High Power shooters I know that shoot auto loaders use a muzzle guide and clean from the muzzle.

Just an idea, but could save you some wear and tear. Dump a little solvent down the muzzle and let it run along the inside of the barrel to soften any carbon fouling. Let it sit for a few minute then pull a bore snake through a couple times to knock out the carbon fouling. Hit it with some Wipe-Out, let it sit overnight, then tip it muzzle down and let the stuff run out for a bit. Pull a bore snake through a couple times to get it good and dry. That should take care of the copper fouling. You could also buy two bore snakes and remove the brush from one of them and use it as a giant patch.

Most High Power shooters I know that shoot auto loaders use a muzzle guide and clean from the muzzle.

I figured that the reason cleaning from the breech is recommended is to protect the crown, and not from any functional difference in the direction the fouling is pushed (so long as its kept out of the action).

Thanks.

Joe

We were issued with the M-14 in 'Nam, and needed to clean from the muzzle end. Some of us got hold of expended plastic hull 12ga shells, which are a snug fit on the GI standard M-14 flash suppressor. With the primer punched out and the flash hole reamed to match the cleaning rod diameter, they made pretty good field-expedient cleaning rod guides.

Greg

Use the Otis cleaning system. It has a coated cable you put down the muzzle and when it comes out the chamber you put your patch or brush on it and pull it back through the barrel.