• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How To Cut Body Fat: The Proper And Healthy Way

TrooperBrian

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2010
Idaho, USA
I had originally posted this over at GlockTalk and on my blog.

Since offering to design workout and diet plans in a thread yesterday, my inbox has since been bombarded with messages.

So I decided this deserves it own thread, where anyone can feel free to ask questions for the benefit of everyone.

So lets start off with the original article.

Oh wait before we begin. I think "fad" diets are designed to do nothing but thin your wallet. You can get all the food from Atkins/South Beach/Whatever Beach for a fraction of the cost and a little bit of prep and a much better quality from your own grocery store. Because lets admit it, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't respect a little preparation.

So here we go:

You’re probably reading this because you want to make a change in your life. Since high school a large portion of people you’ve known have gained weight, had kids, both, or otherwise become lardasses. Maybe you’ve been trying to lose fat and its just not happening. Well…keep reading! Let’s start by debunking a few myths.

Myth 1: Doing the hard work, burns the fat.

In reality, spending all day doing high intensity on the treadmill will do nothing but make you tired. Fat is a compressed energy source. It takes an extended low intensity exercise to coax it out. Imagine a fat kid with a pile of cupcakes. He’s greedy, just like your body. If you try and take it all at once, he’ll probably eat you instead. If you slowly take one cupcake at a time, he probably won’t notice until its all gone.

Doing cardio (heart rate 160+) is great if you’re training for a marathon. Not so great if you’re trying to lose body fat. I use the word “weight” loosely, the idea behind it is to lose BODY FAT, and minimal muscle.

Myth 2: “I don’t want to build muscle, I just want to tone.”

Well, we’ve all heard this from one person or another. Take this time to correct them and laugh, or simply distract them and punch them in the face. The idea behind “toning” used to be doing low weight high rep weights to “cut” a certain muscle. Human anatomy for the last few decades has told us that it is IMPOSSIBLE to “spot reduce” a muscle. The most common example being: Doing a ton of situps will give you a six pack. So when I say toning is a myth, this is exactly what I mean.

Myth 3: Running on an empty stomach burns fat.

When you wake up in the morning, your insulin levels are at an alltime low. Your body has been in a catabolic state for the last eight hours or more. Once you wake up, the only energy source your body has remaining is to burn off all your hard earned muscle. EAT. Wait an hour or two. THEN do your running.

Lets break this one down too, since some people are confused. At all times your body is in one of two states. There is no middle ground. These two states are catabolic and anabolic. Which is why you hear of "anabolic steroids" or simply "roids". An anabolic state is a state in which a positive nitrogen balance exists in your body, energy is being expended in the form of carbohydrates instead of muscle tissue. In a catabolic state, your body is in "survival mode", burning your hard earned muscle tissue and storing excess energy in the form of fat. This is a basic survival mechanism that dates back a gazillion years. A good fitness professional will be in an anabolic state 20 hours in a day.

Myth 4: The girl who says she doesn’t do weight because she doesn’t want to look like Schwarzenegger.

The best way for a female to burn fat is using weights. Most girls don't touch weights because they're afraid they're going to look like Schwarzenegger. But in reality it takes a huge amount of testosterone to build muscle, which thankfully most girls have a significant shortage of. So using muscle will only cause energy to be used.

Myth 5: Take short breaks between sets.

This one is mostly for males. Here, like many things in life, consistency is the key. Regardless on what you decide, make sure you time it, and the time is consistent between sets. Only after 60 seconds does your body build up the testosterone levels required to build muscle fibers. And when I say “build” I should say “rebuild”. It is impossible to create more muscle fibers. You are an adult with a steady amount of muscle fibers. What your body is building is called muscle hypertrophy. Or simply making the existing fibers bigger.

This is why most workout routines for mass recommend a 90 second rest between sets.

And now some common errors:

Error 1: Machines

Its not that machines are bad. They create specifically isolated single joint movements. But sports science over the years have taught us that multijoint movements are the gold standard of routines. Such as squats, deadlifts, etc. There are two main reasons why most beginner routines don’t use many machines.

One. It doesn’t allow the use of stabilizer muscles, which are important when you increase in weight.

Two. Most people when they get to a single joint movement, use momentum to move the weight. When you do, you not only significantly increase the risk of injury, you also defeat the purpose of the single joint movement. We’ve all seen them. They set the machine to a huge amount of weight, and use their body or legs to “kick” or “jerk” the weight for reps. The key is going SLOW. This boils down to TUT. Time Under Tension. A good set lasts 45 seconds or more. This allows the small tears to happen in your muscle fibers which your body then has to rebuild, resulting in a larger stronger muscle fiber.

When I say machines, I mean one you are typically seated to use. Cable machines on the other hand are great. They are a key part of many routines and differ significantly from exercises involving freeweights. This is because a freeweight is let off when you get to the full range of motion. But a cable keeps constant tension on the muscle.

Error 2: Bench No Back

There are those guys who can bench a huge amount of weight. They brag to people about it. But at a certain point they begin to wonder why they can’t do any more. Its because they have neglected the complement muscle, the back. There are two of the most important muscle groups in your body. Your core (abs, obliques, etc) and your posterior chain. Which consists of everything from your traps (shoulders), down the back, and the back of your legs. Without strength in these areas, your gains in other places will be minimal.

Error 3: Blasting Through Sets

This has been covered above. TUT. If you work hard just to get the set over with, you might as well not even waste your time. Just sit at home and eat ice cream.

Error 4: Up No Down

These are the worst. You’ve for sure seen them in all stages, from the huge guy to the beginner. They work only upper body, get HUGE. But they have peg legs. With calves that look like you could snap with a kick. Fitness is not about size, its about that…TOTAL BODY FITNESS.

Error 5: Late Night

Sometimes even I have to break this rule. Try not to go to the gym past 2100. As a human being, this is when your melatonin levels begin to rise to prepare your body for sleep. This will be counterproductive to what you are trying to accomplish at the gym.

I did have one person try to correct me on this. And let me assure you, it is MELATONIN and not SEROTONIN. Serotonin is a hormone responsible for adaptive and innate immune response to foreign pathogens, and imbalance causes depression. Not what we're talking about here.

SO! This article is mostly for people trying to cut body fat. I might write another for anyone trying to add mass, but most guys seem to be doing it right.

Most importantly, your diet. For the next six weeks, try this.

Phase I: Weeks 1-3

Days 1, 4, 6:

Breakfast:
2 whole eggs, 4 egg whites, 1 cup oatmeal, 1 orange

Midmorning:
1 cup low fat yogurt, 2tbsp ground flaxseeds

Lunch:
1 wheat tortilla, 6oz chicken breast, ½ cup black beans, 2 cups mixed green salad, 2tbsp oil/vinegar

Prework:
1 banana, 1 Pro Complex

Postwork:
2 Hydrowhey, 2 slices white bread, 2tbsp jelly

Dinner:
8oz sirloin steak, 1 cup green beans, 1 medium sweet potato

Bedtime:
1 cup low fat cottage cheese

Days 2, 3, 5, 7:

Breakfast:
1 whole wheat English muffin, 3 whole eggs, 2 egg whites, 1oz low fat cheese

Midmorning:
1 cup low fat cottage cheese, 2tbsp peanut butter

Lunch:
6oz chicken breast, 2 cups mixed green salad, 2tbsp oil/vinegar

Prework:
1 cup oatmeal, 1 Pro Complex

Postwork:
1 medium potato, 2 Hydrowhey

Dinner:
8oz salmon, 20 asparagus

Bedtime:
1 Casein, 1oz almonds

Phase II: Weeks 4-6

Days 1, 4, 6:

Breakfast:
1 cup oatmeal, 1 cup low fat milk, 1 Pro Complex

Midmorning:
1 cup low fat yogurt, 2tbsp ground flaxseeds

Lunch:
6oz chicken breast, 2 slices whole wheat bread, ½ avocado

Prework:
1 apple, 1 Pro Complex

Postwork:
2 Hydrowhey, 24oz Gatorade

Dinner:
9oz tilapia, 2 cups mixed green salad, 2tbsp oil/vinegar

Bedtime:
1 cup low fat cottage cheese

Days 2, 3, 5, 7:

Breakfast:
3 whole eggs, 2 egg whites, 1oz low fat cheese, 1 cup spinach, ¼ cup salsa

Midmorning:
1 cup low fat cottage cheese, 2tbsp peanut butter

Lunch:
6oz tuna, 2 cups mixed green salad, 2tbsp oil/vinegar

Prework:
½ cup pineapple, 1 Pro Complex

Postwork:
½ cup sorbet, 2 Hydrowhey

Dinner:
8oz pork, 2 cups broccoli

Bedtime:
1 Casein, 1oz walnuts

If you read Muscle and Fitness, you’ll notice I’ve taken it directly from one of their pages, with a few changes I’ve made myself.

Now Phase 1 is Weeks 1-3, the amounts total out to about 2700 calories a day, which is calculated for a 180lb individual. Since most girls are nowhere close to that, you can figure maybe 20% less per serving.

Phase 2 will cut even more for the remaining three weeks. About 2400 calories total.

And this is STRICT. DO NOT deviate from this schedule. Don’t skip days at the gym. In the end you’re only cheating yourself. If you are not used to a fitness routine, DO NOT jump right into any routine. It will only throw your body into survival mode and cause you to gain more weight. If you are already in reasonable shape, you can jump right into Phase II. If not, you should start at Phase I and slowly taper into it.

I covered this first because your work in the gym is only a small part of the puzzle, the majority of change will come from your diet. You should ALWAYS eat before bed, contrary to what your mom told you. The best thing is something like 100% Micellar Casein and a handful of almonds or walnuts. While sleep is one of the best things for the body, its also one of the worst. One one hand, you repair damage from the previous day. But also after four hours you start burning muscle as a catabolic process.

Now that you have your diet figured out, we can cover what you’re doing in the gym!

Start with the weights. LISS (which we will cover later) burns glycogen, your body’s high energy short term energy source. Weights requires short periods of extreme activity, which requires a good amount of glycogen. You can find a solid routine with a simple Google, but I can also design one for you if you’d like one. I spend more time designing a week’s workouts than most actually spend in the gym! Heh ok that sounds cocky. But for body fat loss, you’ll want to do a bit higher rep, maybe 8-10. This will allow you to build a bit of muscle in the process. But this brings me back, you won’t look like Arnie.

The workout without a partner should only take you an hour or so. With a good 90 second rest between sets. Now you should LISS. This is Low Intensity Steady State. A bicycle or treadmill works best. Pick a speed that keeps your heart rate at 120-130. Then, and ONLY THEN is fat actually burned. Because fat is a compressed carbohydrate, it takes longer to break down. When you do dedicated cardio, you will be burning only the carbs your body has for that day. Because it is a faster energy source. Maybe 30 or 40 minutes in will you feel tired, like you cant run anymore, “hitting the wall”. This is because you’ve burned off all your body’s precious energy source and FINALLY you begin to burn fat. So why waste your time?

Maintain LISS for a good 30 minutes or so.

On weekends when you don't have to go to work, is when you should be doing HIIT. Now the real fun begins. High Intensity Interval Training. A good one would be finding a football field, do a bit of jogging to warm up, and then SPRINT from one endzone to the other, and walk back to the start. Repeat 6-8 times. It should only take you 10-15 minutes, but it better be the hardest 10-15 minutes of your life. Proven by studies, there is not a HUGE difference between HIIT and LISS, but the amount is significant. HIIT will result in a much greater fat loss than LISS. But HIIT takes people out for a few days, do LISS in the meantime. The reason for this is called EPOC or Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption. And because your fat stores are rich in oxygen, its the best source of energy to burn in this time. For this reason your body and muscles will feel "hot" for a few hours after HIIT sessions.

All this information is well documented, and comes from my training to be a Certified Fitness Instructor. But feel free to ask any questions or voice any concerns.

Don’t believe me? I started this exact program six weeks ago. I try all programs I promote myself, to make sure it works. I started at 15.3% body fat, and current at 10.5%. But most importantly almost none of that weight has been muscle loss. If you have quite a bit of body fat, you can expect your losses to be significantly higher!

But most of all, good luck. And DON’T QUIT!

Oh and one more thing! Body types and genetics. While true, body type will have a HUGE impact over genetics. Because well, using genetics as an excuse for being fat is unacceptable. Every race and individual will have different qualities. In general for all human beings, there are three body types.

(following is copy pasted)

Ectomorph:

The extreme ectomorph physique is a fragile and delicate one. The bones are light, joints are small and muscles are slight. The limbs are relatively long in proportion and the shoulders droop. The ectomorph is a linear physique. Straight up and straight down, and may appear longer than he or she really is, due to the length of limbs coupled with lack of muscle mass developed on those limbs. The ectomorph is not naturally powerful and will have to work hard for every ounce of muscle and every bit of strength he or she can gain.

Mesomorph:

The mesomorph has well-defined muscles and large bones. The torso tapers to a relatively narrow and low waist. The bones and muscles of the head are prominent. Features of the face are clearly defined, such as cheek bones and a square, heavy jaw. The face is long and broad, and is cubicle in shape. Arms and legs are developed and even the digits of the hand are muscled.

Endomorph:

The body of the extreme endomorph is round and soft. The physique presents the illusion that much of the mass has been concentrated in the abdominal area. This may or may not be true. The arms and legs of the extreme endomorph are short in length and taper. This may give the appearance of stalkiness. The hands and feet of the endomorph are comparatively small, and the upper arms and thighs are often more developed than the lower parts of the arms or legs. The body has a high waist.

Most significantly will be your race. Most Caucasians will find they build muscle and burn fat more readily than most. Most Asians will find they build muscle at a slightly slower rate than others. And well, if you’re black you can do a single curl and have 20” biceps. Ok so that’s a bit of an exaggeration. But when was the last time you saw a black guy that wasn’t easily ripped? Or a fat Asian? Exactly.

ADDED AFTER THE FACT:

Some people asked, great there is a diet plan, but what if I can't do it? And what should I do in the gym?

Ok. If you're like me, you don't like to spend tons of time in the kitchen when you're hungry. If you're eating right, you should NEVER feel hungry in the day. The night before or the week before I will use a lot of Tupperware style containers, and grill, bake, fry, chop, and otherwise prepare all my food for the week, labeled and documented before putting it in the fridge. If I get in a jam where I need to grab and run, I can. A "food bugout" if you will.

So...weights.

There are THOUSANDS of routines out there, most of them are great. You can either use one for a month and switch, but the problem with most routines is in the name. ROUTINE. As a human, your body is highly adaptive to what you do to it, result..in a few weeks your progress will slow to a crawl regardless of what you try.

So here is what I do. I make a list, with a section for each of your major muscle groups. Chest, Back, Core, Legs, Shoulders, Bi/Tri. Each day I pick two muscle groups and three exercises for each group. This makes sure I hit each muscle group at least twice a week and eliminates the need for an unnecessary "day off".

Secondly, supplements. While you can do everything without supplements, modern sports science has made it possible to increase your progress and gains by record amounts. I also have a list of supplements available. And another article I wrote regarding supplements alone, but it is so long I will post another thread about it if people are interested.

Otherwise I'd be glad to answer any questions you have, or email you the exercise and supplement lists. Just send me a PM.

Second Edit:

Here is the exercise list I've been using. Use it to develop a routine that works for you.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...uthkey=CNi-9fcE

From doing lab research this year and working in the Body Mechanics and Ergonimics Lab, as well as staring at every body part known to man under a microscope for hours on end, I've come to a few of my own conclusions this year.

First, I think preworkouts are silly. Utterly ridiculous money pits for workout enthusiasts. Most of these are called "nitric oxide", however it is impossible to consume nitric oxide in a usable form. The actual product is called arginine, which stimulates the release of NO in the body, which is ordinarily a toxic byproduct. This substance is responsible for vasodilation, or the expansion of blood vessels. HOWEVER, the supplement is often also spiked with caffeine, a vasoconstrictor. The two work hand in hand and as a result, almost nothing happens except you feel better and very hot in the gym.

You can have the same effect for $2, but a bottle of 200 capsules of 200mg caffeine, take one with 400mg of EGCg before the gym. Done. You can also use intraworkout supplements such as IntraVol, but 16oz of Gatorade will work just as well.

Secondly, cardio is a CRITICAL component of any workout program, bulk or cut. The reason being, in order to increase your endurance, your body must generate and maintain a larger amount of RBC, or red blood cell, the primary oxygen carrier with hemoglobulin in your body. It becomes hugely important past the 3rd or 4th rep of an exercise, when your anaerobic system has been exhausted and your aerobic system is kicking in.

Third Edit:

I've added this because I found it necessary in the new year of 2011. Industries love exploiting your wallet in the new year, to buy into "fat burners" or sometimes called in the industry as "thermogenics". Granted, some of them work, if you put in the effort. This comes back to my original statement that preworkouts are silly, similar concept.

After seeing so many ads, each touting their own "clinically proven" studies, I decided to go to their websites, look up the studies, and interpret them as a biologist. First off, a "double blind clinical trial" is just a study done properly. Its like a "2011 Ford F150" is a "truck". Regardless of what you add to the title, it is STILL a truck.

I found two major flaws. One, most of these studies are not published. Which in the science world, means the study is useless, unreliable, and technically never happened. Two, the studies that can be slightly reliable, are performed in labs outside the United States with no controls, or in low reputation small labs in the US and untrained technicians. The studies research fat loss in "brown adipose tissue". Scientifically, this is true, as any adipose tissue can be advertised as "fat". HOWEVER, as a human being, you have not had brown adipose tissue since the age of ONE. A huge majority of your fat stores occurs in the form of WHITE adipose tissue. As a result, they can legally advertise substances and drugs that have no real effect on the body.

Fourth Edit:

Oh boy, just more and more edits to cover. On today's agenda, high fructose corn syrup. Its not that you shouldn't be consuming a fair amount of calories and sugar, they call them "empty calories" because they provide you with no real nutritional value. But there is a world of difference between HFCS and sugar, like comparing a Glock to a 1911. The issue at hand comes from the way they are processed. The human body cannot process and directly use fructose as an energy source. When it is encountered, it must be processed through the liver to become a usable form of energy. In excessive amounts, the fructose provides an energy surplus, which the body will convert directly to longer chains, or drops of fat. These drops are then stored in the form of white adipose tissue, body fat. SUGAR on the other hand, is a short chain glucose. Glucose interacts with insulin as a membrane carrier and allows glucose to be used directly by the body without processing. If you still have an addiction to soda, try something like Sierra Mist Natural. It costs more because sugar costs more than HFCS, but you won't gain fat as readily, and it provides a short energy boost.

Also two, salad. Some people have asked a tough question, why are vegetables so good if humans cannot digest them? An entire bowl of salad may only provide 45 calories if not dressed. Two reasons. Firstly, the simple food volume fills your stomach readily, removing the urge to eat, thus giving the indication that you are "full", and therefore causes you to eat less by craving. Secondly, it provides fiber, a great component of digestive health and regularity. This is because vegetation like lettuce is mostly plant cellulose, what you are eating is the remaining material of cell walls in the lettuce. Humans do not have cell walls, and therefore does not have the mechanism required to process cellulose. In animals such as cows, cellulose is processed by bacterial colonies in a separate gut.

As always, remember to stay properly hydrated and use electrolyte replacements such as Gatorade or Powerade. Its not just a ploy to sell you a sports drink. You need to replace elements such as K+ (potassium) or Ca2+ (calcium) because they are used up in the process of signaling that causes your muscles to contract and relax. Its the same idea as fatigue. Your muscle never really gets "tired", or you would be dead. But simply your central nervous system and peripheral nervous system can no longer send as strong of a signal to your muscle, and as a result it feels weaker.

Supplements:

Now that you have a good diet and you probably know how to run a proper workout, now we are on to the next most important thing, supplements! An intense workout regiment requires many energy sources and amino acids that your body is unable to naturally produce at the rate you are consuming them. As a result you may not see results as good as you would like.

Just like last time, lets go over a few basics first. One, if you want to do anabolic steroids (or simply “roids”), don’t bother reading. You’ll probably be dead by the time any of this actually applies. This is only for people who want to exercise and stay healthy, the PROPER way. As a Biology major for the past 3.5 years, I’ve been able to see through the bullshit that supplement makers write on their bottles.

Its important to note, that AS A SUPPLEMENT (meaning not essential for normal human beings), ALL supplements are not subject to FDA approval. There are many supplements that can cause significant harm if used in excess or timed incorrectly.

So let’s jump right in!

First off is the most common. Whey. Otherwise known as 100% Whey Isolate. You will often see them in two forms. Whey Isolate and Whey Concentrate. Whey Isolate is far better, I tend to stay away from Whey Concentrate, its like buying concentrated juice. Why buy the concentrate if you can have real juice? The best I’ve used personally is Pro Complex made by Optimum Nutrition, typically runs about $50 for a 1-2 month supply, depending on how fast you use it. For the guys trying to add muscle, the same price will get you double the amount of Pro Complex GAINER, which is basically doubled in mass with maltodextrin, a long chain sugar that your body will have to process to use, that way you don’t just add fat instead of muscle. You may also see “hydrolyzed” whey. In reality its nothing but a process that chops the protein chains into smaller pieces so your body can absorb it faster. Best for after the workouts, its why I added “Hydrowhey” to the routine. This is also made by Optimum Nutrition in the form of “Platinum Hydrowhey”.

Secondly, casein. Or 100% Micellar Casein. You’ll want to consume this before going to bed. Upon contact with stomach acid, it solidifies into a bit of a gel, causing your body to work and digest it throughout the night to reduce the amount of time your body is in a catabolic state. Also the best one here is made by Optimum Nutrition, a 4lb jug for about $55 will last you a few months. It may sound like a lot, but that’s less than a dollar a day. You will also find this as "hydrolyzed" casein, this is much like 100% Whey, which is a great alternative if you are allergic to any whey ingredients. Casein is mostly a milk product, so stay away if you are potentially or have had issues in the past with milk products.

In REALITY, you can get away with just the three listed above. But for even better gains and overall health, you can add the following.

Muscletech’s Anabolic HALO: For the guys trying to add mass, replace Hydrowhey with this after workouts.

Nitric Oxide: In reality, its impossible to "consume" nitric oxide (or NO), what you are really consuming is L-arginine. But since the word blows most meatheads' minds, NO is used. The effect of arginine is the increased production of nitric oxide. Normally, nitric oxide is a toxic byproduct of cellular metabolism, hell your immune system USES nitric oxide in the defense of your body by promoting cell lysis (bursting of cell membranes). HOWEVER, in short periods of use, it acts as a vasodilator, increasing blood flow to your muscles. While you may not necessarily lift more, your focus and recovery times will be incredible. Because of this, you'll feel like your body is on fire, much like taking a thermogenic. Therefore it is not a good idea to take the two together, even though it can be done safely. But you should never have to. NO is used for a bulking season, and thermogenics are used to cut, so there would be no logical reason to combine them. Some good ones are BSN's NOexplode (award winning) or Muscletech's NaNO Vapor. Runs typically $30 for a good month or two supply. Black Powder is also a good one. Unless your name is Marlon, in which case it just makes you angry.

The problem I have with this is that pre-workout supplements are silly. I've mentioned this before.

Muscletech’s IntraVol: While it is “supposed” to add mass to your muscles during the workout, it merely causes your body to remain in an anabolic state throughout the workout. I didn’t really believe it, until I tried workouts with and without it. And the difference is HUGE. Being able to leave the gym feeling great and not remotely tired instead of trashed, is pretty significant. And while I don't think the product itself promotes it, the ability to feel better and more refreshed causes you to lift more productively. But you could also have the same thing by replenishing your electrolytes with something like Gatorade, Powerade, etc.

ZMA: For the older gentlemen that would read this (AHEM Doogie), after your mid-20s or so, the levels of testosterone begin to taper off, limiting your gains and ability to burn fat and rebuild muscle. ZMA is a safe and mild dose of zinc and magnesium to help support levels of existing free testosterone.

BCAA: These are “branched chain amino acids”, basically things they already assembled so that your body doesn’t have to. There is already a good amount of this in Pro Complex, but you can supplement it too if you’d like. A good one is Xtend. Xtend the workout supplement, not to be confused with the fake penis enlargement pill. Basically this reinforces to your body that you are now able to burn fat, and NOT muscle.

GNC Men’s Metabolism/Energy: Don’t worry, there’s one for ladies too. You should NEVER take other stimulants if you are taking a thermogenic, because you’ll, well..die? But if you aren’t, this provides a great boost of caffeine and D3. If you live in the northwest, well even in the summer we don’t get enough sun to convert UV to D3. So either buy this, or buy some D3 supplements, 1000IU should get you through the day. Natural energy. I had a deal from GNC, I got two 120 tablet bottles for $20 and free shipping. This is almost half the price of Centrum, which is essentially cardboard and garbage.

Fish Oil: Well, the benefits of fish oil and Omega-3 has been proven for a long time. Omega-3 being just a fancy way of saying that the double bond of a fatty acid occurs on the third kink in the chain from the Omega side of the chain. Basically it promotes a healthy metabolism and reduces the absorption of bad fats. To a point. This doesn’t mean you get to go out and chomp down burgers. But there are only good benefits, so why not? Two per day.

Vitamin C: You can almost never get enough. Its good for your immune system, maybe a good 800mg or more a day, eat an orange or two, or take a supplement. One word. Scuuuuuuuuuuuurrvy.

Calcium Carbonate: A recent study reveals that taking calcium supplements increases your chance of heart attack by 30%. But you’re a young and active individual, you need the excess calcium for reconstruction. It’s a risk I’d rather take.

Caffeine Anhydrous: If you start your morning with a cup of coffee, try the pill instead. Its faster, MUCH cheaper, and much more effective. A typical cup of coffee has 85mg of caffeine, most pills have 200mg. Combine this with 400-500mg of EGCG (which we will get to later) and you have an excellent jumpstart to your morning. Caffeine has been proven to not only allow you to work harder, but promote your body to deplete its adipose tissue stores more readily (your fat). I found a bottle of 200 capsules (different than caplets) for $1 on eBay. And hey, Boise people, its in Boise, you could buy it then ask to just pick it up!

EGCG: This stands for Epigallocatechin gallate (yes I had to Google Machine it because I can never spell it right). Its found only in Green Tea Extract, and typically in 50% concentration at its highest. Which means 400mg of GTE would only yield 200mg of EGCG. You could also drink about 10-12 cups of green tea, but I wouldn’t really recommend this. This is an important part of any exercise routine, especially ones involving any type of thermogenics (up next). This is because not only does it have great antioxidant properties, it is responsible for keeping the norepinephrine and synephrine levels up in your blood. I bought the Now Brand EGCG from eBay, $10 maybe.

Thermogenics (aka fat burners): We all know from high school science that heat is everywhere in the universe. You cannot create nor destroy energy. So in order for your body to create energy, it generates it in the form of heat, which results in the work performed by your body. A good thermogenic typically has two counteracting systemic hormones, and a simple thermogenic. For example, a good one to start with is Lipo6, it also comes in Lipo6x and Lipo6Black. Experienced users should use Lipo6Black, it contains synephrine (a synthetic form of norepinephrine, which will raise your blood pressure) and Yohimbe (a powerful medicinal treatment for erectile dysfunction). Well you may ask, why would I want to have a boner all day!? Well the two effects are counteracted systemically, one is a vasodilator, one is a vasoconstrictor. The only effect allows the thyroid stimulating hormone to act on your thyroid and the rest of your fat stores, safely. For the girls, there is also a female version, such as Lipo6 Hers. Another good one that could be worth trying is Hydroxycut, it works in different ways and costs a bit more. Lipo6Black typically runs $55, but I found it on eBay shipped for $28. Like the word implies "thermo" or "heat", best used before or after summer for cutting, since during the summer you might just die of heat stroke. It induces your body to create excess heat, which STILL MUST BE vented off. If you'll remember from earlier, heat results in the burning of energy. And if you're exercising and supplementing correctly, this energy will ONLY come from fat. On the bright side, you'll never be cold in the winter. But I suppose a significant other could help with that too.

But I don't believe that thermogenics work any better than a dose of caffeine, as you've already read above.

*UPDATE*

In 2009 there was a recall of 14 products made under the "Hydroxycut" name, whether or not the deaths of a few individuals were directly related. The recall WAS voluntary. It has since been reformulated and is back on the market.

HOWEVER, Lipo6 "Original", not 6x or Black, STILL CONTAINS a substance listed on their label as "Synthetic 99% Guggulsterones Z&E 1:1", an extract of the Guggul plant. While its long term effects or side effects have yet to be thoroughly researched or proven, this substance is a LIVER stimulating hormone. Anyone with a medical background or knowledge of human anatomy will tell you that the stimulation of any single or multiples of organs without systemic influence can cause a dangerous change in the natural homeostatic patterns of your body. I WOULD NOT recommend you take the Original version. Black (while the most powerful of the three) remains relatively safe because its influence is thyroid stimulating, causing a normal systemic influence.

I’m sure I missed a bunch, so if you have a question about something, post it up! Otherwise your thoughts and opinions are appreciated as always.
laugh.gif
Feel free to delete it, send me hate mail, text blast my phone, kick your neighbor's dog, or however you would like to vent your anger.

If you don't believe me, this time I have a better example. Last Sunday I was at 14.4% body fat when I started cut. Yeah the exercise nuts will say "whoa dude". Today, eight days later and one HIIT session, I'm down to 12.2%. A total loss of 2.2%, or 3.9lbs.

Most importantly, don’t quit!

“Go light until you get it right!”

--
Trooper Brian is a student of International Sports Science Association's Certified Fitness Trainer program, a senior in Biology, Bachelor's Of Sciences Pre-Medicine at the University of Idaho. He received his Certified Nursing Assistant at the age of 16, and an Emergency Medical Technician at age 18.

Reactions: MJF
Re: How To Cut Body Fat: The Proper And Healthy Way

Trooper,

Very well written and put together system you have going. I will be trying this out and thank you for the program. Seems like everything you have in this post is a proven fact to work. Seems easy enough to follow and not too comprehensive like a P90X diet or Insanity diet program. Thanks again Trooper.

Eric

I'm wondering with your iet stragity (carb cycling) what does the workout look like with this in place? are your higher carb days on the days your workout with the lower carbs days on the rest days?

for the most part looks pretty solid but like everything else everybody is differant and may require a little tweeking to maximize the benifits

I think there may be studies that refute a couple of your "myths".

Myth #1 Doing the hard work, burns the fat.

Fat is not a primary energy source but it is still an energy source. If you are still working hard when your muscles run out of glycogen then yes, your body will turn to its fat stores. It's not going to sit there and ignore the fat.

Many examples are available of athletes who do more than "low intensity workouts" and yet are not fat. Cyclists, runners, triathletes. Even athletes whose sport comprises a lot of quick bursts of energy, for example hockey players, wont have a great deal of body fat.

Calories in vs. Calories out. If you're burning more calories than you are consuming, you will lose weight. If you are eating correctly for your training, you will lose body fat.

http://www.hornetjuice.com/fat-burning-myths.html

well i have a situation where im not really fat and am more or less happy with my bodys condition BUT... i eat 100% of my meals from a fast food place. im a bachelor and thats no excuse but ive done this for maybe... 5 years straight now. and i mean i eat EVERY meal fast food. i have a completely empty fridge. and i eat huge meals.. a normal dinner for me would be 2 huge doulbe cheeseburgers fries and a large iced tea. (i rarely drink soda)and its about the same for breakfast. and i always skip lunch. just a huge meal in the morning and a huge meal at night.

so my point is i know this must be taking a toll on my body. ive tried buying things i enjoy from a grocery store but i just end up making bologna sandwiches for 2 weeks straight and then going back to the fast food.

i dont really need some super healthy diet but just one that will see me to the age of 50... i eat so horribly and im not 500lbs so i think my bodies pretty well capable of dealing with the garbage i put in it so if i just eat KINDA healthy i should be good to go.

another problem i find with eating healthy is that it costs twice as much.. atleast when you eat out. salad 5 bucks... WHAT!...

so bassically if you have some recommendations for me of easily prepared perhaps cold dishes and hot dishes that still taste good in comparison to a cheeseburger that wont break the bank that would be awesome.

and i dont need 10 different dishes just one or two that i can eat all the time. i eat cheeseburgers every single day and never get tired of them. although i do jump from place to place to switch up on flavor.

so the dishes just need to provide enough nutrition to stay with them forever... with my cheeseburgers i get my dairy and my protein and then i wash it down with a Hi-C fruit punch for my vitamin C and im good to go..

any info you have is much appreciated

kenny

I don't know if i would call alot of things Myths but just things that didnet work for some people.

and the calorie in vs calorie out idea is not exactly accurate

if you eat ALOT of simple carbs in your day thats going to have a big impact on your insulin production and the body doesn't like to relase fat when insulin is presant and insulin is massive transport tool , so if you eat a ton of simple sugar and fat then the body is going to store alot of that fat , this is why things like donuts are so bad and french fries.
I know i'm very very carb sensitive , i can eat 4000 calories a day but only get 150g carbs a day from my first 3 meals in the form of brown rice , oats and sweet potatos and maintain my bodyfat possibly lose if i do cardio , but if i change my diet to eat 600g carbs a day but maintain the 4000 cals by cutting out alot of fat and some protein then i will certainly put on fat , been their done that !!

the myth about fasted cardio burning fat is just that a myth , now doing fasted morning cardio where you heart rate gets about the 60% range will cause you to burn fat. The body is gylcogen depleted after being fasted all night if you get up and go running then your body will ramp up quickly and convert to glycogensis which is the burning of protein to make glycogen so the trick is to not get the muscles to the point that then need to use glycogen so the trick is do long duration low intensity cardio right after waking , the body will attack fat stores before converting to glycogensis , and to ensure no catabolism take place you sip on some BCAA's while doing cardio.
their are alot of other things that will keep the body "anabolic" beside steroids.
I always find it funny that guys who cant gain mass becuase either their training or nutrition is scewed becuase they are following some cookie cutter diet plan out of a magazine or they just arn't will to realy bust their ass in the gym always hate on guys that do and accuse them of steroid abuse.

Everybody wants the "magic pill" , well after looking for it for a realy long time i have found it , its called hard work and dedication , not just dedication to go to the gym but dedication to stay out of the gym and to follow a strick eating regiment , its expensive and very inconvienent to eat alot of realy good food , you spend alot more time in the kitchen than in the gym. I don't care what you take steroid wise you will never see a good benifit from it unless your training and nutrition are desgined to take advantage of its effects.

I will admit that I didn't read most of this thread but I will throw in my two cents. The first thing you can do to cut weight is quit eating the CRAP that our (friends) in BIG PHARMA want you to eat!!! This is all the junk that gives you cancer and makes money for THEM!

The first thing you can cut out is EVERYTHING that includes CORN SYRUP. This is also known as DEXTROSE, MALTODEXTROSE, DEXTRIN, and other names because the big food companies don’t want you to realize that almost EVERYTHING in processed food includes it. The diets listed above are very good but they include yogurt, bread and jelly- all of which contain corn syrup. Cheese and cottage cheese probably does as well as does the muffin.

Contrary to what Big Ag and Big Pharma wants you to believe, Corn syrup is not the same as sugar. In studies mice fed with corn syrup gained weight at 4 times the rate as those fed with plain sugar.

By the way, just look for something to drink in the convenience store (besides water) not containing Dextrose (corn syrup). Hard isn’t it? Smith’s and Kroger’s have a line of all natural drinks that I mix with water when I don’t feel like drinking water.

Breads are hard on your digestion. The idea that they are needed is a myth. Fruits should be eaten in the morning on an empty stomach. This way they don’t cause fermentation with the partially digested foods in your stomach. You should eat some fresh greens EVERY SINGLE DAY.

The less meat and sugar in your diet the better your joints will feel. I am also including fish as meat- although fish is much better for you than red meats. I will repeat that…. The less meat and sugar in your diet the better your joints will feel.

Exercise 30 min. per day.

If you need to be told to quit eating fried foods, soda, and fast food…well there isn’t much hope is there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think there may be studies that refute a couple of your "myths".

Myth #1 Doing the hard work, burns the fat.

Fat is not a primary energy source but it is still an energy source. If you are still working hard when your muscles run out of glycogen then yes, your body will turn to its fat stores. It's not going to sit there and ignore the fat.

Many examples are available of athletes who do more than "low intensity workouts" and yet are not fat. Cyclists, runners, triathletes. Even athletes whose sport comprises a lot of quick bursts of energy, for example hockey players, wont have a great deal of body fat.

Calories in vs. Calories out. If you're burning more calories than you are consuming, you will lose weight. If you are eating correctly for your training, you will lose body fat.

http://www.hornetjuice.com/fat-burning-myths.html</div></div>

The idea of "calories in calories out" is hugely false. I think the first problem is you are simply misunderstanding what I am trying to say. You can lose body fat using weights, LISS, or HIIT workouts. Extended cardio on the other hand DOES NOT serve as an effective weight loss tool. Calories consumed can often be stored or converted, resulting in only carbohydrates to be used as "calories out".

You'll also notice that entire website is nothing buy hearsay, no research performed or cited, and is just an entire advertisement for that product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The less meat and sugar in your diet the better your joints will feel. I am also including fish as meat- although fish is much better for you than red meats. I will repeat that…. The less meat and sugar in your diet the better your joints will feel. </div></div>

I dont totaly agree with this , meats high in Omega 3 fats are astualy good for body inflamation as omege-3 fat is anti inflamitory.
Omega 6 fats are opposite of this and actualy cause inflamation in eveything from joints to arteries.
Now most of the meats we eat are from animals that are mostly grain fed the grains cause an imbalance in the omeg-3 and omegs-6 fats in these animals and in these cases yes the meat can cause inflamation in the body. Now if you eat strickly grass fed beef , free ranging chicken , wild line cought salmon and things like this then the fats in it are very benificial to the body.

the modern medical comunity is so far off what actualy is possible for a human to use and thrive on its not funny but in all actuality the consumption of all the processed foods is the leading reason for most on the troubles we have today

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well i have a situation where im not really fat and am more or less happy with my bodys condition BUT... i eat 100% of my meals from a fast food place. im a bachelor and thats no excuse but ive done this for maybe... 5 years straight now. and i mean i eat EVERY meal fast food. i have a completely empty fridge. and i eat huge meals.. a normal dinner for me would be 2 huge doulbe cheeseburgers fries and a large iced tea. (i rarely drink soda)and its about the same for breakfast. and i always skip lunch. just a huge meal in the morning and a huge meal at night.

so my point is i know this must be taking a toll on my body. ive tried buying things i enjoy from a grocery store but i just end up making bologna sandwiches for 2 weeks straight and then going back to the fast food.

i dont really need some super healthy diet but just one that will see me to the age of 50... i eat so horribly and im not 500lbs so i think my bodies pretty well capable of dealing with the garbage i put in it so if i just eat KINDA healthy i should be good to go.

another problem i find with eating healthy is that it costs twice as much.. atleast when you eat out. salad 5 bucks... WHAT!...

so bassically if you have some recommendations for me of easily prepared perhaps cold dishes and hot dishes that still taste good in comparison to a cheeseburger that wont break the bank that would be awesome.

and i dont need 10 different dishes just one or two that i can eat all the time. i eat cheeseburgers every single day and never get tired of them. although i do jump from place to place to switch up on flavor.

so the dishes just need to provide enough nutrition to stay with them forever... with my cheeseburgers i get my dairy and my protein and then i wash it down with a Hi-C fruit punch for my vitamin C and im good to go..

any info you have is much appreciated

kenny </div></div>

Well it just seems you've fallen into a pretty typical American lifestyle. Eating fast food I would expect you to spend upwards of $100 a week on food alone.

Unless I'm on the go and don't have one of my meals with me, I will eat something like Arbys, its at least better than a simple cheeseburger. The thought of a cheeseburger makes me sick right now. I eat 6-7 meals every day, every 2-3 hours. And total cost per week is less than $30.

Even if you just made food yourself, not following a strict diet like listed above, you can usually buy 3lbs of salad, a good 2 week or more supply for $3. Also look for things of whole grains, make sandwiches and burgers with whole grains, whole grain spaghetti can be as cheap as 98 cents per pound in some places, and a $2 bottle of quality spaghetti sauce will last 3 meals.

You don't have to give up your burger habit. Buy whole grain buns, lean ground beef of 10% fat or less, and low fat cheese. You can even season them at home how you would like and experiment with different combinations.

This should get you started on the right path. Let me know if you have any other questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The less meat and sugar in your diet the better your joints will feel. I am also including fish as meat- although fish is much better for you than red meats. I will repeat that…. The less meat and sugar in your diet the better your joints will feel. </div></div>

I dont totaly agree with this , meats high in Omega 3 fats are astualy good for body inflamation as omege-3 fat is anti inflamitory.
Omega 6 fats are opposite of this and actualy cause inflamation in eveything from joints to arteries.
Now most of the meats we eat are from animals that are mostly grain fed the grains cause an imbalance in the omeg-3 and omegs-6 fats in these animals and in these cases yes the meat can cause inflamation in the body. Now if you eat strickly grass fed beef , free ranging chicken , wild line cought salmon and things like this then the fats in it are very benificial to the body.

the modern medical comunity is so far off what actualy is possible for a human to use and thrive on its not funny but in all actuality the consumption of all the processed foods is the leading reason for most on the troubles we have today</div></div>

I have to agree with the second post. If you remove red meat, you are removing one of the top foods for two reasons. One, it is the best source of protein density per pound and is far more affordable over a protein shake. Most of your protein should be coming from natural sources such as beef and chicken. Whole chunk tuna is also a great one. Two, it contains carnitine, a naturally occurring substance that converts fat into energy.

Biologically, I laugh when people tout the effect of "omega" supplements. The indication of "omega" simply indicates the numbering sequence of a lipid chain from the tail end. The number indicates the location on the chain at which a kink or double bond occurs. Saying something like "Omega-3" means nothing more to the average consumer than "fish oil". Like saying "two tens plus three" is a complex way of saying "23".

Your joints are compressed cartilage, it is very difficult to change the feeling or saturation of your joints by changing your diet. Unless such a diet reduces your body fat, which in turn removes stress from the joints.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Everybody wants the "magic pill" , well after looking for it for a realy long time i have found it , its called hard work and dedication , not just dedication to go to the gym but dedication to stay out of the gym and to follow a strick eating regiment , its expensive and very inconvienent to eat alot of realy good food , you spend alot more time in the kitchen than in the gym. I don't care what you take steroid wise you will never see a good benifit from it unless your training and nutrition are desgined to take advantage of its effects.</div></div>

Well said. Most overweight or even slightly borderline overweight people can lose upwards of 20lbs of body fat ONLY without ever stepping foot in a gym or paying a penny of gym fee. A 100 yard high school football field, the track team's track on the weekends, or your 4000lb car, are all free.

Sometimes, maybe people aren't as dedicated as me.

no_gym_required_by_glockguy-d36o3gb.jpg

I am not a nutritionist. I do know, however, that nuts and avocados and flax seeds contain Omega fats.

I can tell you that for myself - WITHOUT A DOUBT- eating less meats and sugars makes my joints function much better. I have proven this to myself several times. I also have MUCH LESS mucus in my system as a result.

It is true that meat is an excellent source of protein but there are other sources. From what I understand, the consumption of meat and sugar brings your body into a much more acidic situation that makes it much harder to fight disease. This acidic condition is what causes your joint problems as well as other health problems. That doesn't mean that you can’t eat meat, but the average American consumes around 6 times the meat that they actually need.

The type of sugar that you consume is also very important. The human body has developed over millennia to effectively process naturally occurring sugars found in fruits. It cannot effectively deal with processed sugars, and it can't process corn syrup very well at all.

Fresh vegetables are also important as this helps create the enzymes your body needs to function.

The “food pyramid” and “4 food groups” theories are all a bunch of hogwash.
Milk and cheese products are not good for adults. Name one animal that consumes milk after puberty.

I may not have any degrees in nutrition, but I can tell you what has ABSOLUTELY worked well for me. I don't work out near as much as I should yet my height / weight is very well proportioned. I also don't have much faith in doctors as I was once told by a doctor "eat as much corn syrup as you want". What nonsense. Since I cut out corn syrup my health has turned 180 degrees. My recovery times after working out are MUCH better now also (due to less meat and processed sugars in my diet).

Whether any of you believe me or not - good luck with whatever course you choose. The hardest part is maintaining the willpower to change your lifestyle. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not a nutritionist. I do know, however, that nuts and avocados and flax seeds contain Omega fats.

I can tell you that for myself - WITHOUT A DOUBT- eating less meats and sugars makes my joints function much better. I have proven this to myself several times. I also have MUCH LESS mucus in my system as a result.

It is true that meat is an excellent source of protein but there are other sources. From what I understand, the consumption of meat and sugar brings your body into a much more acidic situation that makes it much harder to fight disease. This acidic condition is what causes your joint problems as well as other health problems. That doesn't mean that you can’t eat meat, but the average American consumes around 6 times the meat that they actually need.

The type of sugar that you consume is also very important. The human body has developed over millennia to effectively process naturally occurring sugars found in fruits. It cannot effectively deal with processed sugars, and it can't process corn syrup very well at all.

Fresh vegetables are also important as this helps create the enzymes your body needs to function.

The “food pyramid” and “4 food groups” theories are all a bunch of hogwash.
Milk and cheese products are not good for adults. Name one animal that consumes milk after puberty.

I may not have any degrees in nutrition, but I can tell you what has ABSOLUTELY worked well for me. I don't work out near as much as I should yet my height / weight is very well proportioned. I also don't have much faith in doctors as I was once told by a doctor "eat as much corn syrup as you want". What nonsense. Since I cut out corn syrup my health has turned 180 degrees. My recovery times after working out are MUCH better now also (due to less meat and processed sugars in my diet).

Whether any of you believe me or not - good luck with whatever course you choose. The hardest part is maintaining the willpower to change your lifestyle. Good luck.
</div></div>

Yikes, what a crackpot doctor. But you have to keep in mind, every person may be human, but they consume and process foods in different ways. Its unfair to compare a human to an animal and expect digestive similarities to last. So what works for you, may not necessarily work for someone else, and I won't recommend anything that won't work for everyone.

There are even immunologists who can tailor diets to specific blood types and MHC complexes.

But please watch what you say, there is a lot of misinformation in your post. Milk is probably one of the BEST sources of protein available, if you can digest it. Some humans lack the enzymes and commensal bacteria required to process lactose, and the result is being "lactose intolerant".

We're not talking about the average sedentary human here, this is for people who want to lose body fat or bulk up on muscle. It is IMPOSSIBLE to change the homeostatic pH of your blood, otherwise you would be dead. Your blood cannot become acidid, it is in a slightly basic state at all time, combined with free cholesterol, is why blood is very slippery.

At the very minimum, a person workout out should be consuming 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will admit that I didn't read most of this thread but I will throw in my two cents. The first thing you can do to cut weight is quit eating the CRAP that our (friends) in BIG PHARMA want you to eat!!! This is all the junk that gives you cancer and makes money for THEM!

The first thing you can cut out is EVERYTHING that includes CORN SYRUP. This is also known as DEXTROSE, MALTODEXTROSE, DEXTRIN, and other names because the big food companies don’t want you to realize that almost EVERYTHING in processed food includes it. The diets listed above are very good but they include yogurt, bread and jelly- all of which contain corn syrup. Cheese and cottage cheese probably does as well as does the muffin.

Contrary to what Big Ag and Big Pharma wants you to believe, Corn syrup is not the same as sugar. In studies mice fed with corn syrup gained weight at 4 times the rate as those fed with plain sugar.

By the way, just look for something to drink in the convenience store (besides water) not containing Dextrose (corn syrup). Hard isn’t it? Smith’s and Kroger’s have a line of all natural drinks that I mix with water when I don’t feel like drinking water.

Breads are hard on your digestion. The idea that they are needed is a myth. Fruits should be eaten in the morning on an empty stomach. This way they don’t cause fermentation with the partially digested foods in your stomach. You should eat some fresh greens EVERY SINGLE DAY.

The less meat and sugar in your diet the better your joints will feel. I am also including fish as meat- although fish is much better for you than red meats. I will repeat that…. The less meat and sugar in your diet the better your joints will feel.

If you need to be told to quit eating fried foods, soda, and fast food…well there isn’t much hope is there?
</div></div>

I'm not sure where you are getting this information, but your statements are absolutely incorrect and goes against every known nutritional fact known by thorough research.

I will ask users to please disregard this post, and to the poster, please check or research your information before attempting to mislead others.

"I'm not sure where you are getting this information, but your statements are absolutely incorrect and goes against every known nutritional fact known by thorough research.

I will ask users to please disregard this post, and to the poster, please check or research your information before attempting to mislead others."

First of all I never intended to mislead anyone - as I said from the beginning- I have no credentials- I DON'T NEED ANY - I just know what works for me- and I take offense to you saying that I intend to mislead folks. Secondly I don't need to research ANYTHING because I have DRAMATICALLY changed my health for the better IN SPITE of what all of the so-called nutritional "experts" and doctors have said.

This will be my last post on this topic as I am not out to make any money from my post and I am not out to prove anything- I am just trying to help people out. There are a lot of Doctors and Nutritionists that don't know shit - and there are a lot of unhealthy people as a result.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I'm not sure where you are getting this information, but your statements are absolutely incorrect and goes against every known nutritional fact known by thorough research.

I will ask users to please disregard this post, and to the poster, please check or research your information before attempting to mislead others."

First of all I never intended to mislead anyone - as I said from the beginning- I have no credentials- I DON'T NEED ANY - I just know what works for me- and I take offense to you saying that I intend to mislead folks. Secondly I don't need to research ANYTHING because I have DRAMATICALLY changed my health for the better IN SPITE of what all of the so-called nutritional "experts" and doctors have said.

This will be my last post on this topic as I am not out to make any money from my post and I am not out to prove anything- I am just trying to help people out. There are a lot of Doctors and Nutritionists that don't know shit - and there are a lot of unhealthy people as a result.
</div></div>

Sir, I hope you understand that its not that I don't appreciate additional input. Its the idea that what may have worked for you, may not work for everyone, and it may also not be the best way to do it.

This is why specific diet and exercise routines have to be tailored specifically to the person, gender, and body type of the individual. If I can't apply one concept to many, then its probably not very good.

Reactions: Jumper
Re: How To Cut Body Fat: The Proper And Healthy Wa

Trooper Brian,

I get up around 0500 - 0530 and work out around 0730. How would you recommend to modify the pre and post workout meal as in your example?

Also,

Would you be ok with working in protein shakes with a couple of your suggested meals?

Thanks!

This is a great discussion. I was a very fat kid (the one called hippo among others) and since high school have made fitness a habit, so as I have aged I've noticed that the rules for fitness when your younger change at different periods of your life, and also the demands on your life change to put limit on the levels of discipline and attention to a fit lifestyle.

Alot of younger, energetic well meaning trainers do not yet understand this since it is not their world yet but I have a few things that have always worked, and do not require a great education in diet or degree in fitness. THIS is NOT for high fitness types, thats a different world and I lived there for years. What applies at that level is not for your basic everday citizen who just wants a basic fitness and feel better.

1) Eat less. The simplest diet in the world. Most people do not pay attention to how much they eat. Once you do and have a basic idea of calories in food, you will probably be shocked. Eat less. A study at MIT in the 80s showed the human body inherently tries to eat 10% too much all the time, its built in from hundreds of thousands of years of feast or famine survival. This lifestyle has only changed in the last hundred years or so in this country, particularly the last 40yrs,not nearly enough to change how we are wired. Eat less. Use a smaller plate, one hamburger vs two. You might be surprised that eating less does not make you hungry, just less full. Overeating for most is psychological, not physical. If you're eating to feel better there is a reason that must be addressed. Most could cut 30% of their intake and not have hunger.

2) When you eat matters. Carbs in the morning to wake up and get moving, protein at night to preserve muscle fitness. People will argue with this and say the opposite but to get going every day its more about how much and when, than what you eat. If most people can get the balance right, you'll be ok. I've gone the extremes...salads only, pasta only, meat only, etc, it all causes inbalances and bad habits. Keep it simple.

3) Get sleep. Fit people know that food, excercise and sleep are equal partners. Compromise one you lose something. Sleep is the one most people compromise. Diets fail from lack of sleep, fitness fails from lack of sleep. Sleep is not expendable. Zombies aren't fit people. You know people like this..look tired all the time and drag themselves around. They usually complain alot because they are unhappy. Sleep deprivation probably causes more health issues than anything else. Body goes into survival mode where everything that is good for you in your body long term gets disrupted for the short term survival. Get Sleep. Its not an option.

4)Move more. Everyone can move. Humans are designed (and required) to move. Physical disabilities only change the way we can move, but move nonetheless. I have severe arthritis and joint problems. I can't run, bike, play golf, or do most things but I figured out how to move and not make things worse. I have a special bed, shoes, and stretching regimen to follow every day. In fact I found excersises, particularly with weights help arthritis. I'm 46 right now and I bench 250 and weigh 185. Won't be able to do this forvever but right now that's pretty cool. Everyone can move in a way that helps and not hurts. Generally start small and work up. Variety is the key to finding better ways. Mix things up. If it hurts, stop and try to understand why. Take the stairs, walk to the store, take a walk at lunch instead of reading guns and ammo (even better do both at same time
smile.gif
)

So thats as simple as I can think to get basic fitness and lose weight. Eat less, get sleep, and move more.

Trooper has got all the details..I like it..just thought I'd share my own simpler version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onlyfineknives</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trooper Brian,

I get up around 0500 - 0530 and work out around 0730. How would you recommend to modify the pre and post workout meal as in your example?

Also,

Would you be ok with working in protein shakes with a couple of your suggested meals?

Thanks!</div></div>

Just be sure you don't exceed the calorie count for that meal, you want to try and evenly space your calorie count between all the meals.

So in the morning, I'll have a cup of milk and 1-2 cups of oatmeal IMMEDIATELY upon waking. Since your workout is about 2 hours later, just have some fruit and a protein shake before the workout. I recommend Pro Complex because its not only a blend of whey, but also has BCAAs. I like to also mix in some yogurt to smooth the mix and I double the shake so I can drink half before, and half immediately after.

Every other meal can be taken at its regular time, shifted according to your schedule. It doesn't have to be EXACT, if you feel you can substitute something, like having a banana instead of a fruit cocktail or an apple. Get creative with it!

Hope this helps. TB

Sure, calorie in, calorie out is a broad brush statement and since we aren't going to assume common sense (you can't eat 2000 calories worth of doughnuts and lose weight because you're burning 2500 calories) let's be clear.

Fat is an energy source for the body, plain and simple. How the body burns fat, and when the body burns fat is up for question however the bottom line is fat is an energy source and the body will turn to burning fat when it needs to.

Therefore if you are eating a well balanced meal and your daily activity (which doesn't necessarily need to include a "specific" exercise) causes you to burn more energy than you consume, you will lose weight. Even if you were not consuming enough protein and your body chose to turn to its own muscle for energy (a process called gluconeogenesis) it will also burn fat at the same time, just to a lesser degree.

So yes, calorie in, calorie out is a broad brush statement however, given certain common sense parameters, it is very accurate. I would ask to find a physician or nutritionalist that can scientifically refute that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure, calorie in, calorie out is a broad brush statement and since we aren't going to assume common sense (you can't eat 2000 calories worth of doughnuts and lose weight because you're burning 2500 calories) let's be clear.

Fat is an energy source for the body, plain and simple. How the body burns fat, and when the body burns fat is up for question however the bottom line is fat is an energy source and the body will turn to burning fat when it needs to.

Therefore if you are eating a well balanced meal and your daily activity (which doesn't necessarily need to include a "specific" exercise) causes you to burn more energy than you consume, you will lose weight. Even if you were not consuming enough protein and your body chose to turn to its own muscle for energy (a process called gluconeogenesis) it will also burn fat at the same time, just to a lesser degree.

So yes, calorie in, calorie out is a broad brush statement however, given certain common sense parameters, it is very accurate. I would ask to find a physician or nutritionalist that can scientifically refute that. </div></div>

I can agree with that. But its not always cut and dry, like you said it has to be combined with the proper meal plan and exercise types. Drinking 2500 calories of soda and doing cardio for 3000 calories, probably won't lose much fat at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will admit that I didn't read most of this thread but I will throw in my two cents. The first thing you can do to cut weight is quit eating the CRAP that our (friends) in BIG PHARMA want you to eat!!! This is all the junk that gives you cancer and makes money for THEM!

</div></div>

I think your thinking of High Fructose Corn Syrup (soon to be called corn sugar). Maltodextrin and corn syrup are both glucose bonded compounds with the protein taken out. High Fructose Corn Syrup is a derivative of corn syrup, that is made to be sweeter. Maltodextrine and dextrose are sweet sugars that are commonly used by athletes as a source of energy. Powerbars use maltodextrin and dextrose for energy. If one consumes these in high volumes and doesn't exercise properly they will gain weight.

High Fructose Corn Syrup is another story, and is a largely disputed ingredient in the food industry right now, as it appears to have no beneficial effects.

You need grains in your diet, we humans are omnivores. Grains have fiber, which your GI tract needs.

"You need grains in your diet, we humans are omnivores. Grains have fiber, which your GI tract needs."

thats not true at all!! you get much more fiber from a cup of spinach than you do a cup of oats and grains are actualy harder for your body to digest than green vegitables. You can drasticaly improve your health but only getting your carbs and fiber from fruits and veggies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"You need grains in your diet, we humans are omnivores. Grains have fiber, which your GI tract needs."

thats not true at all!! you get much more fiber from a cup of spinach than you do a cup of oats and grains are actualy harder for your body to digest than green vegitables. You can drasticaly improve your health but only getting your carbs and fiber from fruits and veggies.</div></div>

Actually he was right. The reason its "harder" for your body to digest whole foods is because they are not processed. And therefore it provides constant energy, unlike processed foods (sugar, white bread, etc) that provide short bursts of huge amounts of energy, then forces your body to store the rest as fat. As a human you CANNOT (really, its impossible) digest cellulose found in vegetables.

So your best source for carbs, is still whole foods. Rice, wheat bread, whole wheat spaghetti..