• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to determine DOPE/DATA for rifle with supressor?

bigdaddydmd

Tooth Shucker
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I have a 6.5CM R700 that I shoot and have good dope for. Finally got a suppressor (Omega 300) and took it out. I checked zero at 100yds and found that the suppressor causes a 0.5Mil drop at 100. The change in POI is repeatable. Stupid question time.

Do I just add 0.5 Mil to my existing DOPE for all ranges and shoot to confirm or is there an easier way the collective hive mind here at the Hide has figured out?

I am having difficulty getting my Magnetospeed Sporter to read with the suppressor on the rifle due to offset so I am cannot get muzzle velocity with suppressor on to compare what the change in MV is with can on vs can off. I figured if I got MV with can on I could generate new data tables but with the offset of the bayonet against the can not reading I am SOL in that approach. What recommendations do you have or what techniques have you used that worked? Thanks.

I have the sporter working with my 6.5CM rifle and 1.5" diameter silencer by setting the sensitivity to highest and using the thinnest pad.
This also works for a friend of mine with a similar set up. Doesn't work with .223, but works with 6.5 and 308 (IIRC).
Distance from the end cap ends up being the normal recommended Magnetospeed distance, but I can double check that if needed.

Reactions: bigdaddydmd
Thanks guys. I'll just add .5 to my existing data and shoot to confirm at distance. I suspect with a change in MV the holds will increase more than just .5 mil at distance. Example. I currently need 6.3 MRAD at 900 yds so with can I would calculate 6.8 MRAD at 900 but I have a sneaky suspicion it might need 6.9 or 7.0 mils if my MV is slightly less.

I have a 6.5CM R700 that I shoot and have good dope for. Finally got a suppressor (Omega 300) and took it out. I checked zero at 100yds and found that the suppressor causes a 0.5Mil drop at 100. The change in POI is repeatable. Stupid question time.

Do I just add 0.5 Mil to my existing DOPE for all ranges and shoot to confirm or is there an easier way the collective hive mind here at the Hide has figured out?

I am having difficulty getting my Magnetospeed Sporter to read with the suppressor on the rifle due to offset so I am cannot get muzzle velocity with suppressor on to compare what the change in MV is with can on vs can off. I figured if I got MV with can on I could generate new data tables but with the offset of the bayonet against the can not reading I am SOL in that approach. What recommendations do you have or what techniques have you used that worked? Thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean by offset with magneto, not enough or correct spacers? A guy can buy spacers from Magneto for the V3, not sure why they would have sporter ones also.
If you plan on running the can, why not just rezero with it on?

The suppressor causes the bayonet to be too far away (offset) from the muzzle even with the thinnest spacer to get reliable readings. I will try to increase sensitivity of sporter to pick up the round. I thought about zeroing with can on, but I plan to shoot local PRS comps with the can off so I am not fighting the extra length and trying to squeeze it thru the ladders/shooting positions etc.

Reactions: Milo 2.5
Thanks guys. I'll just add .5 to my existing data and shoot to confirm at distance. I suspect with a change in MV the holds will increase more than just .5 mil at distance. Example. I currently need 6.3 MRAD at 900 yds so with can I would calculate 6.8 MRAD at 900 but I have a sneaky suspicion it might need 6.9 or 7.0 mils if my MV is slightly less.
In most cases, muzzle velocity INCREASES with a suppressor. YMMV but I found a 30fps jump in speed with can vs without. Since I have a .25moa shift, the extra speed actually makes up ground and doesn't require a change.

I found it easier to make two load profiles in my ballistic app: one for suppressed and on non-suppressed. Shoot both at 100, zero for one or the other, put in the correct MV and zero offset for the non zero version and bingo!

In my case, I just dial one extra click out to 500 and none after that. Same data. YMMV so shoot to confirm.

Reactions: bigdaddydmd
The suppressor causes the bayonet to be too far away (offset) from the muzzle even with the thinnest spacer to get reliable readings. I will try to increase sensitivity of sporter to pick up the round. I thought about zeroing with can on, but I plan to shoot local PRS comps with the can off so I am not fighting the extra length and trying to squeeze it thru the ladders/shooting positions etc.
Makes sense now, lol
I don't know how many cans I have today but could live w/o them for sure.