• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to Determine Optimal LOP?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I will be shooting off a bench and would like some idea of how to determine optimal length of pull (LOP). If it matters, I am 6' 1" and have 34 - 35 sleeves. Given that many rifles used here have adjustable LOP, I wondered what you have found works well for you. I expect this will change for prone, but I shoot bench only. I'v read many articles, with varied techniques, but more often than not, give very different answers.

Thanks.

Phil

Last edited:
Inside crook of the elbow (when bent 90 degrees) to the place the trigger sits on your trigger finger. This is the starting point of finding your length of pull. Since many of us shoot prone, or from unorthodox positions (like strong side kneeling and such), generally 0.5-1.0 inches is needed to be subtracted, so that your shoulders can remain square to the rifle. This subtraction is pretty common among tactical shooters, and is done to ensure recoil management via a solid position.

^^^^this^^^^

It's what I have gleaned through much research.

So, unfortunately 95% of the available adjustable LOP are too short for me, and I have to come up with spacers, then make adjustments to the cheek riser.

My MPA Competttion chassis needs another .5" but is doable, it is maxed out and is borderline flimsy even with the locking set screws on the rods. I need to make a 1" spacer and get those rods farther in for more support.

Interested to try this, I have a Magpul 700 pro on the way. Had a BA lite, and set screws were finicky. With no thumb wheel for adjustment it made for tedious adjusting of comb and LOP. If I were to buy another would definitely pay the extra for the BA Comp.

I've found the opposite. I need to add LOP for Prone and Bench because my head tends to move forward (stock creep) on the stock in those positions.

I accept this may be due to less than optimal body positioning, but for me, what I do works, and has been working since I came aboard this site during the startup in 2000/2001(?).

I also need to move the scope as far forward as the usual mounts permit, because for me LOP and Eye Relief are enmeshed.

After 60+ years of spinal shrinkage, I'm still 6', 4 1/2" tall.

Greg

When I try the "crook of elbow to trigger finger pad" measurement, my distance is about 14 -1/2", or 1" longer than the LOP on my rifle.

Pretty much the same for me. For shooting off a bench, it seems like my 13-1/2 LOP is OK, but think it could be longer. I find my forearm is at an angle to the rifle, forcing my wrist to fold back at angle when the rifle is gripped. It does not really feel uncomfortable, but when I tape a pad between my shoulder and buttstock, I think that may be better.

I do find that I have a tendency to force myself into position to get a good sight picture (not good), so am going to remove scope, find out where my head naturally falls on the stock comb, and then position scope to fit that. It is already clear that my scope is too far forward.

Could be all wet on this, but it seems to me sleeve length may be a good indicator of proper LOP. I am 34 - 35, which is longish, which at present, forces a relatively sharp angle between forearm and upper arm. A longer LOP (w/temporary pad), feels roomier and more natural. I can see why adjustable LOP is so valuable!

Phil

From the measurement method above, my LOP is 15.5" from inside elbow to bent trigger finger. My rifle LOP is more like 14-14.5". I have a 35.5" sleeve length.

Methinks @Phil3 may have nailed his problem (scope is too far forward), or in the prone (as has been mentioned before) you're trying to get too low. Raise the bipod some more if you haven't already.

^^^^this^^^^

So, unfortunately 95% of the available adjustable LOP are too short for me, and I have to come up with spacers, then make adjustments to the cheek riser.

My MPA Competttion chassis needs another .5" but is doable, it is maxed out and is borderline flimsy even with the locking set screws on the rods. I need to make a 1" spacer and get those rods farther in for more support.

If you don't have a folder mechanism, than that may be your best way to add some length (I think). The new folder design they have (over the original), is much better, and locks up tight.

My LOP measurement comes out to around 16", and making that work can be a chore.

I tend to make my own spacer elements, and also to use Limbsaver Slip-On's to extend them by yet another inch.

Frankenstein was a Piker.

Greg

^^^^this^^^^

Al made me a custom 1” spacer for $60.