• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How to explain this to Leupold... (pics attached)

aaronk

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2018
Washington
Scope in question is a VX3i LRP that has gone back to Leupold once already and they said nothing was wrong with it. I've noticed some strange issues with it since I've gotten it back though (same issues I had before I sent it in).

On a known accurate gun with verified good scope I can put 5 shots in a 1/2" group. I'll throw the LRP on that gun and shooting the same ammo from the same position it shot a 1.3" group. Good scope on the left, LRP on the right. Stopped at 3 shots as there was no point in wasting more ammo.

img_7844-jpg.7067035

I did a very small tracking test with the known good scope and with the LRP. One shot on the way up and one shot on the way back down. You can see with the known good scope it's right on, with the LRP it's all over the place. Again, this is shot with the same gun, same ammo, same rest, same day, only the different scopes. LRP on the left and good scope on the right.

img_7847-jpg.7067041
img_7876-jpg.7067042

Leupold did a tracking test on this scope when they had it the first time and said it tracked fine. Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on here? Besides including these pics with the scope return, I want to make sure I'm describing it correctly because if I just say tracking issues they're going to say it's fine again... Really regretting my decision to give Leupold a try...

Attachments

• IMG_7844.jpg
    IMG_7844.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_7847.jpg
    IMG_7847.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_7876.JPG
    IMG_7876.JPG
    500.5 KB · Views: 392
They can check the tracking, send it back and ask for the test results. Also, what they think is acceptable.

My guess is they say it is within an acceptable error window.

What type of mount/rings are you using? Double checked torque?

Any chance it’s parallax/ocular focus issues?
Any chance it’s the mount?
Is the zero far from mechanical center?

If answers to above are No, then the poor grouping suggests it is a recoil issue (not tracking per se). Maybe the leaf springs that push the erector tube against elev/wind adjustments are allowing the erector tube to “bounce” during recoil?

I had the exact same problem and results with VX that I sent in for Parallax issues and was returned with the same issue.

You need to escalate. Try to get a hold of Alan Ransom. He is a great guy. Really took care of me.....

Reactions: aaronk
The issue isn't tracking, but is instead that it's not holding zero. As someone above mentioned, this wouldn't be apparent when checking tracking in a static situation (on a bench), so I'm not surprised that it tested okay... because it isn't the right test for the observed behavior.

My guess is they say it is within an acceptable error window.

What type of mount/rings are you using? Double checked torque?

Rings were not the same as one scope is a 34mm tube and the other a 30mm tube, but both sets of rings were Seekins Precision torqued with a wrench to correct specs.

Any chance it’s parallax/ocular focus issues?
Any chance it’s the mount?
Is the zero far from mechanical center?

If answers to above are No, then the poor grouping suggests it is a recoil issue (not tracking per se). Maybe the leaf springs that push the erector tube against elev/wind adjustments are allowing the erector tube to “bounce” during recoil?

I've read a lot about parallax issues with Leupold scopes so I've always been a bit paranoid in how I adjust for it on the scope - always start at infinity and turn in only one direction. Sometimes I'll get great groups with this scope and other times they'll be the worse I've shot in my life, by a long shot. I was kind of thinking along the lines of a bouncing/shifting reticle. Guess I'll send a long letter to Leupold with pics and cross my fingers someone actually understands.

I had the exact same problem and results with VX that I sent in for Parallax issues and was returned with the same issue.

You need to escalate. Try to get a hold of Alan Ransom. He is a great guy. Really took care of me.....

In the end did you get a working scope back? I really like the scope for the hunting gun I was planning on putting it on, it checks a lot of boxes for what I wanted, without the extra weight.

Aaronk,

That is an interesting issue you are having. Something definitely seems to be affecting your point of impact there. While I have great confidence in our repair team, I won't pretend we are not human and capable of missing something. I'd like to help you get that scope back here, if you haven't shipped it already, so we can give it another look. Look out for a direct message from me.

Aaronk,

That is an interesting issue you are having. Something definitely seems to be affecting your point of impact there. While I have great confidence in our repair team, I won't pretend we are not human and capable of missing something. I'd like to help you get that scope back here, if you haven't shipped it already, so we can give it another look. Look out for a direct message from me.

Good to see you guys here......