• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to figure the right ring height??

mrpink

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2009
DC metro & rural VT
This is a generic question - I'm trying to figure out what ring height to use for a rifle build, and since I am going to be building a few different ones, I thought I'd address the issue generically first (and then ask stupid follow-up questions).

What are the factors to consider and how do you factor them into determining ring height?

I figure drop a comb, height between barrel and mounting surface, objective diameter all matter. Any other factors? And how to figure out the resulting ring height?

As far a preference goes, I think I want as low as possible, but also willing to entertain somebody trying to talk me out of it.

Thanks,

Re: How to figure the right ring height??

copied from another site

Topic: How to determine proper ring height
Posted: February/22/2007 at 14:28
Measure the outside diameter of your scope's objective, then divide by that by two.

Super Sniper 10x42 has an O.D. of 50mm. 50/2=25mm (.98")

This will be the dimension above which the ring and bases combined will need to raise the scope's centerline to clear a barrel that is the same diameter as the action..

Once you have that key dimension, all you need to do is select a base and ring combination that equals that dimension plus 3mm-5mm to accommodate lens covers.

25mm+3mm=28mm (1.10")

Figure out how thick the base is. IE: Badger Ordnance Remington 700 base is 7mm thick.

28mm-7mm=21mm (.82")

Now you need rings which will take up the rest of the dimension. This is where you need to pay attention because this is where most of the confusion and inconsistencies come from. Manufacturer's ring heights are not uniform from brand to brand, IE: Burris' low is not the same as Leupold's low. Ignore their descriptions and go by the actual measurement of the ring. The actual measurement of "ring height" is determined two different ways. Some measure from the top of the base (where the ring contacts it) to the centerline of the ring (Fig. A). Others measure from the top of the base to where the ring first contacts the scope (Fig. B). If the brand you are considering measures their ring height like Fig. B, you will need to add 12.7mm for one inch scope and 15mm for 30mm scopes to get to the centerline of the ring which is also the center line of the scope.

2007-02-22_142347_scopesch.jpg

Badger Ordnance provides both measurements. For the example Super Sniper on a Remington 700 we need a ring with a height of .82". Badger Ordnance stock number 30680 measures .823" so these are the ring we would select.

Re: How to figure the right ring height??

Thats why there is a search function. I used it and found multiple threads on it with very detailed info and pics of different ring heights with different bases.