• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing how to figure twist for 223 subsonic

matthias

Terminal lurker
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2011
bismarck north dakota
how do you figure out the required twist rate to stabilize a given projectile when shooting subsonic?

thinking of a fun project with 60-80 gr .224 bullets out of a hornet case or something like that

like the aguilla sss 60 grain sub load but center fire and re-loadable

thanks for suggestions

Re: how to figure twist for 223 subsonic

I have always wanted to do this also. The problem is, the cost of the bullets. Heavy 224 ain't cheap. Paul from rock gave me the twist needed one time but I don't remember. The 300 whisper is what I have instead for anything that needs subsonic but more power than my 22

22 vartarg is what I ended up leaning towards for that reason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sonic Crack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

Would be a cool idea. Except for the fact hornet brass sucks ass.</div></div>

Is that calculator just for subsonic loads? </div></div>

One of the inputs is velocity. So it is for any speed you want.

cool guys i will play with teh calculator tonight and see whats up. the other thing i was thinking was maybe a 5.7X28 fn . i have an encore pistol and an ass ton of brass. might be the ticket. i have a 300 blk and a 458 socom both built on savages this next project will be a remington 581 conversion so 5.7 or hornet would be the choice to make.

22 vartarg? isnt the 20vartarg a 221 necked down? wouldnt a 22 vartarg be a 221? if it is different what would the advantage be? thanks

Think K-Hornet. But...at those speeds, and you REALLY need a project, the cast bullet hobby would keep you busy. For years.

Been down this road...you'd be surprised what you can accomplish with a 7 twist and a 22 hornet. The fly in the ointment becomes the length of the 75+ gr bullets and typical magazine length.
Remember that when working with subsonic case capacity, less is more....and trailboss sucks.