• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to get a fixed zero AND more than 2 revs on a Vortex?

WeeHooker

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2021
MA
I like to keep my rifle zero's at 50 yds for versatility and consistency. I'm just starting shooting rimfire Long Gong games out at 300 yds now. If I set my zero at 50 and add the factory vortex zero stop ring , I can only get just shy of two rev's (48 MOA) out of the turret. I have determined I actually need 53 MOA to be spot on at that range (with SK long range). The zero stop system on my Vortex scopes are leaving me just shy of that. I know I can hold over but would prefer not too. Is there a fix for allowing a fixed zero AND the ability to use more of the elevation range ?

Get a new rail
Ah if only it were that easy. I have a 30 moa rail on it now. However the issues isn't that I don't have enough adjustment (30MOA rail with 85 MOA internal adjustment.) It's that the factory zero stop ring, when installed, limits elevation travel to 2 revs ( 49 MOA) of that adjustment and leaving me just shy of where I want to be without having to hold over the last few MOA. the set-up, without the ring works just fine.

What I did is was use Burris rings and put added cant in the rings until the bottom of adjustment of the scope was less than a full turn to bottom. I didn't have a good zero stop at zero but I could keep track of turns that way. I would turn back toward bottom until it stopped and turn it back up to zero. And then I had a bunch of adjustment up. I removed the Vortex zero stop. I think I could dial out to 500 yards with my rimfire.

The only other way is to just remove the zero stop ring and count turns to the bottom from your zero and try to remember to come back up to your zero each time. It's not too hard to take the zero stop out to shoot Long Gong and then put it back in for other games where you want a true zero stop.

PS: isn't Long Gong fun and frustrating? ;)

What I did is was use Burris rings and put added cant in the rings until the bottom of adjustment of the scope was less than a full turn to bottom. I didn't have a good zero stop at zero but I could keep track of turns that way. I would turn back toward bottom until it stopped and turn it back up to zero. And then I had a bunch of adjustment up. I removed the Vortex zero stop. I think I could dial out to 500 yards with my rimfire.

The only other way is to just remove the zero stop ring and count turns to the bottom from your zero and try to remember to come back up to your zero each time. It's not too hard to take the zero stop out to shoot Long Gong and then put it back in for other games where you want a true zero stop.

PS: isn't Long Gong fun and frustrating? ;)
Thanks, that Idea would likely work for me. Very helpful. That said, I'm now thinking I may just abandon the 50 yd zero on this one rifle and got to 100 for the zero stop. That would give me coverage from 100 to 300 and anything in between. I have other rifles for the shorter range stuff.

As far as fun, YEA it is !! My 72 year old shooting buddy is usually pretty reserved but the first time he rang that 8" gong at 300 yds, he was up off the bench and dancing a jig on the firing line . I about did the same when I finally rang the 4" gong 5 min later. Full disclosure, I haven't shot a match yet. There are none being run within 100 miles of us and not many clubs have 300 yd ranges in my area. If we are going to shoot Long Gong, I'm going to have to set up the match's. I'm about 90% there now. This past Friday we did some test set-up, test shooting and dope gathering as a preliminary to hosting a match at a local club that has the capacity. I think this will catch on quickly here once I get it off the ground. I look forward to making this a regular event!

Last edited:
We're shooting Long Gong at Powerline in eastern Ohio. It takes some quality ammo for sure.

Reactions: WeeHooker
Ditch the zero stop or get a different scope that doesn't have that restriction. That was a huge disappointment for me with my Venom.

I have a 30 moa rail on it now.
Why not get a 40?

How many minutes do you have from your zero to the top of the travel without the zero stop ring? Add enough cant in your base/mount to get that down to <1 rotation and you’ll have more elevation available and no zero stop needed.

It's got nothing to do with the rail . I still have plenty of adjustment ( about 35 min) left at 300 yds without the rev limiter installed. . The limiter/zero stop limits me to 2 revs/50 MOA total adjustment when it's is in place. I've yanked it out. Disappointing design really. It makes this feature useless on for rimfire use

Reactions: 6.5SH
It's got nothing to do with the rail . I still have plenty of adjustment ( about 35 min) left at 300 yds without the rev limiter installed. . The limiter/zero stop limits me to 2 revs/50 MOA total adjustment when it's is in place. I've yanked it out. Disappointing design really. It makes this feature useless on for rimfire use
I'm saying use more rail to be able to not need the rev-stop ring. Add rail until you're <1 rotation from the top of your travel, then the end of travel is the "zero stop".

It's a great design. Nice crisp, reliable zero stop that is easy to install and set. The extreme vast majority of shooters don't need >18 mrad.

I'm saying use more rail to be able to not need the rev-stop ring. Add rail until you're <1 rotation from the top of your travel, then the end of travel is the "zero stop".

It's a great design. Nice crisp, reliable zero stop that is easy to install and set. The extreme vast majority of shooters don't need >18 mrad.
Ah, I stand corrected. That might be an option then I can just toss that ring into the trash. Thank you (and all) for your input

My SOP for my 22’s that will see ELR duty is to slap on a ~30-40 moa rail, then see how much down travel the scope has. If needed, order another rail with more cant to adjust that down travel as desired. I used to go to the minimum viable (2-3 mrad), but have since tapered off on that and now just go for <1 rev. I’d rather not shoot at the edge of the glass for the extreme majority of my shots, only to be able to dial for the once or twice a year I’m shooting 400+ yards. I’m fine holding over for those shots now.

My SOP for my 22’s that will see ELR duty is to slap on a ~30-40 moa rail, then see how much down travel the scope has. If needed, order another rail with more cant to adjust that down travel as desired. I used to go to the minimum viable (2-3 mrad), but have since tapered off on that and now just go for <1 rev. I’d rather not shoot at the edge of the glass for the extreme majority of my shots, only to be able to dial for the once or twice a year I’m shooting 400+ yards. I’m fine holding over for those shots now.
That should work for me as well. The scopes is a Vortex Venom with 85 MOA internal and I had a 15 MOA rail on the rifle. (CZ 457) . With that set-up, I still I had another 37 MOA of travel to the bottom without the zero stop. I just ordered a 50 MOA rail for the CZ . ( Nobody makes a 40 that I can find.) I think that should get me where i want to be. I have a 5-25 Strike Eagle with more internal adjustment if I've gone too far. Thanks again.

As far as fun, YEA it is !! My 72 year old shooting buddy is usually pretty reserved but the first time he rang that 8" gong at 300 yds, he was up off the bench and dancing a jig on the firing line . I about did the same when I finally rang the 4" gong 5 min later. Full disclosure, I haven't shot a match yet. There are none being run within 100 miles of us and not many clubs have 300 yd ranges in my area.
Where at?