• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to get an FFL

DIESEL758

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2010
texas, san antonio
Please move to the correct forum, dont know where to ask this. Can an individual apply for an FFL to purchase guns instead of going to a gun shop. Is the C&R FFL allow you buy new guns or just old.

Re: How to get an FFL

1. Unless you are planning to purchase a bunch of weapons, it is not really worth the hassle.

2. The C&R is for weapons over 50 years of age and those that have been deemed C&R.

3. You live in Texas. They have some of the best support for gun owners in the nation. What are you desiring to purchase that will justify the expense/paperwork/inspections that you will encounter getting an FFL?

Josh

nothing really big its just me,my dad and brother buy about 12 guns a year and it would be nice not to have to go to the gun shop all the time, just put in the order and wait for it to come in just sound easier, and no we do not sell alot of our guns my dad is a bit of a gun hog.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DIESEL758</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nothing really big its just me,my dad and brother buy about 12 guns a year and it would be nice not to have to go to the gun shop all the time, just put in the order and wait for it to come in just sound easier, and no we do not sell alot of our guns my dad is a bit of a gun hog. </div></div>

Easier yes, but the ATF can come knocking at your door anythime they please. Aditionally they tend to frown on folks getting licensed just to have dool personal stuff.

ehh, Im going to get one for kinda the same reasons... It doesnt bother me if they come knocking, I have some cans so they can do that already if they want to. All your buddies could use you for transferrs and you may make enough just on that to pay the water bill. My closest gun shop charges $40 for a transfer... unreal!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ehh, Im going to get one for kinda the same reasons... It doesnt bother me if they come knocking, I have some cans so they can do that already if they want to. All your buddies could use you for transferrs and you may make enough just on that to pay the water bill. My closest gun shop charges $40 for a transfer... unreal!! </div></div>

Its definitely the way to go if you want to make a buck here and there selling or transfering. It also tends to hold you to a higher standard if there are ever any grey areas-ie: "you should know better". Comingling of sales inventory and personal weapons can get tricky.
I've considered it, maybe down the road.

For what its worth...a friend of a fried of mine went through the process and was denied the FFL. Reason stated is that he did not have a "bona fide store front". When questioned, he was told that he could not use his basement for a shop any longer. He actually had to have a shop with a safe, bars on the windows, alarm system, etc. I have never looked into it, but that is what I was told the ATF is looking for now. But it could also be like C3 paperwork, just depends on the examiner.

most guys that are selling here, have had to establish a real separate from their house brick and mortor bulding. well stick built too, but real and apart from their house. hell man here, there are so many options. guys that will get you any firearm for 10% over cost. you can look it up in their catalog and they add 10% and its yours. hell buying from Buds and having a local transfer is pretty cheap it seems. hit the shows, make a friend. transfers here are $20 flat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">most guys that are selling here, have had to establish a real separate from their house brick and mortor bulding. well stick built too, but real and apart from their house. hell man here, there are so many options. guys that will get you any firearm for 10% over cost. you can look it up in their catalog and they add 10% and its yours. hell buying from Buds and having a local transfer is pretty cheap it seems. hit the shows, make a friend. transfers here are $20 flat</div></div>

WOW! its $50 bucks down here... You can find $30, but you have to drive for 45 minutes.

The ATF wont give anyone an FFL to buy their own personal guns. Its up to the city/county where you live if you can have a home based business and the ATF does check with the local laws. As far as I understand the law the ATF can show up anytime during "normal business hours" thats why you have to list your hours on the application.

If you are in Houston, there are several places that do transfers for $25 bucks. Tomball Pawn and 10 ring for instance.

Sorry for the sidetrack OP. It is tough to get the FFL without a bona fide place of business. And you are expected to know/follow the rules and be held to high standard. In TX, along the Valley esp, expect a frequent look see by the power that be, thanks to abuse by a couple bad eggs.

I found a gun shop not to far from my house that will do all my FFL transfers for 20 bucks so i will pass on obtaining the FFL for know. Just sounds like to many hoops to jump through all the time.

Im going to have to get one eventually when I actually start taking in weapons from the public for work. But as I understand it getting a gunsmith liscence is a bit easier.

I think ATF is allowed one unannounced visit/audit per year under normal circumstances.

Goose375- Simply owning NFA items doesnt allow ATF to just come in and visit, that it unless you are an SOT/FFL as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glocker17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think ATF is allowed one unannounced visit/audit per year under normal circumstances. </div></div>

The FFL I use doesn't get unannounced visits, only scheduled. But the inspector checks the serial numbers of every weapon "in stock" and every transfer he's done for the year. It took about 19hrs last visit.

The FFL is also required to have "store" property in a separate safe. But it's all in his house, no store front. Home based businesses are legal in TN.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoltOveride</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im going to have to get one eventually when I actually start taking in weapons from the public for work. But as I understand it getting a gunsmith liscence is a bit easier. </div></div>

You will need at least an 01 Dealer license to do gunsmithing for profit. Or an 07 manufacturers license for a lot of repairs or modifications. If you plan as doing something as simple as building AR's, you will need an 07 FFL. Here is a good FAQ for what activities that ATF states require an 07 FFL.

So just to do gunsmithing, you will still need to jump through the hoops and deal with the red tape just the same as any other FFL.