• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to get rid of surface rust on a RRA barrel, exterior?

sch2046

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2011
Sunbury, OH
It is a long story. My dog relieved himself on my barrel and it sat for a while. It did not make it inside the barrel, just the outside past the hand guard.
Is there a trick to getting rid of it or am I screwed?? If I have to paint it I will.
thanks......

Not much help with the rust department, or painting...

But that dog is literally the first creature I have ever heard say "Piss on Rock River"....Everyone loves RRA!

I would just wipe it down with something like kerosene and then use some Birchwood Casey bluing.

I would just wipe it down with something like kerosene and then use some Birchwood Casey bluing.
Which will accomplish NOTHING. Do it the right way and do it once. Remove the barrel, plug the ends, media blast and paint.

+1 on the Kroil. Also try a cheese cloth and a good 'ol fashion bottle of Remoil. Depending on how deep the rusting is, nothing but blasting and refinishing will work properly. Is it pitted at all? if so, skip any other kitchen table remedies and go straight to the refinish.

Yep. Give it some 80 grit aluminum oxide at 120 psi and buy a $35 bottle of H-Series Cerakote and you'll likely do the whole rig!

some oil no thinner than WD 40 and an old Tshirt will remove light rust, if severe pitting happened, first neuter that dog, sand blast and repark or paint
cheers.

When you refinish, don't do a "treebark" camo again.