• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

how to get started

bosulli

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2009
Austin, TX
Brand new to Snipers Hide. I just moved to Austin, TX from MS.

Looking to improve my long range marksmans skills, and a competitive venue. The NRA hi-power and benchrest matches dont offer what I am looking for. 3 gun looks like fun, but too much close in shooting, and not the ultimate goal. I am looking for a more mission oriented test where you test your long range skills and metal problem solving skills.

Its hard to find a 300+ range.

I have seen Tiger Valley on the web. Do they offer a venue where one can develop their long range marksmans skills? They have competition, but can I just go there to practice long range?

Can anyone reccomend a week long class that is close to Austin?

Looking forward to reading and learning what I can from Snipers Hide.

Re: how to get started

Both Tiger Valley and Rifles Only are relatively close to Austin and offer excellent training. TacPro Shooting center near Dallas also offers precision rifle training.

As far as shooting in the Austin area the only range I can think of that's goes over 100 yards in the Austin area is the Austin Rifle Club and you have to be a member(it's a 200yd range). Probably the least expensive option, although not super close, is the Central Texas Silueta Association. They have a 500 yard range located outside of New Braunsfels that is clean, rarely crowded and the members are good folks. It's a good place to start out shooting longer ranges and figuring out wind. I believe the dues are around $40-50 a year. They also have F-class matches the first weekend of the month.

Make the trip to Rifles Only. It will be the best thing you can do for your marksmanship.

you are smack in the middle of some of the finest ranges and folks that can hold your hand....some great shooters in Austin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you are smack in the middle of some of the finest ranges and folks that can hold your hand....some great shooters in Austin</div></div>

There are more ranges, and I am thankful. Would like to take advantage. I joined the Austin Rifle Club. THey have many matches and good folks. I am out there once a week. But its mostly Hi-power and benchrest matches, which they do a great job with. ARC is top notch, and a great value. I have heard they may partner up a club with 300+ range.

Were is Rifle Only? I will look it up.

Is Tiger Valley private? All I hear about them is classes and 3 gun type matches. Can one just show up and shoot?

When i get my load data for long range, I would like to do a week long sniper class on my next vacation.

I found Rifles Only. Exactly what I am looking for, and only a 3 hr drive. If I can get my act togather, I will do the mid dec Snipers Hide class.

Now, which gun? I have a custom 300wm (700rem)that I intended to use at 1000 yds. But it kicks like a mule. I cant see going 400 rds in 4 days with it. I have AR with Douglas SDM barrel (Compass Lake Engineering), but it has an improved mil-spec trigger. Another AR in 6.8, ARPerformance DMR chamber upper. Its 1" MOA, but 16" barrel, and is for deer & pig.

ARs are not suitable, nor, for the reason you suggest, is a .300 WM.

Rifles Only will rent you an excellent bolt-action .308 with a first-rate Mil/Mil scope. Three shooters in the current class are using Rifles Only rifles.

Send an inquiry about the rate for that.

By the time you get through that class with that rifle, you will have a good idea of what you want in a precision rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: secondstoryguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both Tiger Valley and Rifles Only are relatively close to Austin and offer excellent training. TacPro Shooting center near Dallas also offers precision rifle training.

As far as shooting in the Austin area the only range I can think of that's goes over 100 yards in the Austin area is the Austin Rifle Club and you have to be a member(it's a 200yd range). Probably the least expensive option, although not super close, is the Central Texas Silueta Association. They have a 500 yard range located outside of New Braunsfels that is clean, rarely crowded and the members are good folks. It's a good place to start out shooting longer ranges and figuring out wind. I believe the dues are around $40-50 a year. They also have F-class matches the first weekend of the month.

</div></div>

How do I live in Austin for 10 years and not know about a 500 yard range in my back yard????

Thanks for this info!

I have not made it to Rifles Only, becuase I go to Shreveport often enough to shoot LRA... but I really appreciate this info.