• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How to improve a Leupold turret?❓

JungleShooter

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2019
Lima, PERU
How to improve Leupold RDS turret?❓

I bought a Leupold RDS Red Dot, with the BDC turret.
The scope seems nice enough.
The mount seems to be made to withstand a 20ft drop on concrete.
There is some parallax there, that messes with my hits on varmints.

But my real beef with this red dot sight is the...
elevation HORROR, I mean,
elevation TURRET! 😱

🔶 On the one hand, Leupold has the audacity to proclaim, I quote:
"We took our 70+ years of optics knowledge and created a red dot that's built Leupold tough, performs in extreme conditions, and won't break the bank. This true 1x sight has everything you need in a red dot and nothing you don't. And like all Leupold riflescopes, it's designed, machined, and assembled in the USA and guaranteed for life."

🔶 On the other hand there is reality:
The BDC elevation turret is beyond mushy:
▪ There are no audible clicks whatsoever.
▪ It almost spins without the resistance that every click should have.

Why, o Leupold, why does such a TERRIBLE TURRET cost $100 (one hundred!) dollars more than the capped turret version?! ($400 vs. $300).
There are plenty of scopes out there costing a quarter of that money — with much better turrets, from much less reputable manufacturers.... What a shame, Leupold. 🤦🏻‍♂️

❓Question: Is there anything I can do to improve that turret? Any scope turret, for that matter?

Thanks, 👍🏼
Matthias

Mfctr's product link:

You bought the wrong optic. Zero it and leave it.

It's what a fudd thought up, and it's dumb. Red dots are for quick close shooting, scopes are for distance.

I'm struggling to figure out why anyone would try taking one to 400 yards...

Reactions: GhostFace and BCP
Red dots are for quick close shooting, scopes are for distance.
I'm struggling to figure out why anyone would try taking one to 400 yards...

Yeah, I get your point, ChevyMan! 😃

I guess I wasn't asking about the sanity of buying this particular red dot.... And shooting at 400y with it makes absolute no sense.

However, in my defense, may I explain that this red dot will go onto a PCP pistol
to shoot quarry with less than the typical 1ft x 1ft killzone that the human torso from the front offers —
the killzone of rats is under 2 inches
and they will get the lead pills at ranges 5 to 15y....

🔶 Still hoping someone can chime in who has opened up extra-mushy turrets to improve them....

➠ Because I really like this red dot.
It's my first!
I had my first try with a red dot — and killed a bunch of feral pigeons that were messing with the farmer's four-legged property....
I had the red dot mounted on a .25cal bullpup PCP, shooting Polymags at 960fps — wicked hollow points with polymer tip.

The ferals kept their distance, 20 to 50y. But the red dot worked like a charm on them. Little clicking necessary since they were mostly within PBR. 👍🏼

Matthias

Last edited:
Wow, I had no idea that a couple of scope brand names could invoke such a steep slide down into filth..... 😆

Yeah, I am with you in your sentiment against Leupold — the list of reasons is long why I have never bought from them.

However:
❓What other brands/models of red dots are out there that have an elevation turret made* to be dialed?
I did not find ANY by any brand I recognized. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Earnhardt, I'm open to try something else. 👍🏼

Matthias

*Yeah, supposedly made to dial — the mush-mush "clicks" are telling me otherwise. I feel cheated.... 😖

Last edited:
Wow, I had no idea that a couple of scope brand names could invoke such a steep slide down into filth..... 😆

Yeah, I am with you in your sentiment against Leupold — the list of reasons is long why I have never bought from them.

However:
❓What other brands/models of red dots are out there that have an elevation turret made* to be dialed?
I did not find ANY by any brand I recognized. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Earnhardt, I'm open to try something else. 👍🏼

Matthias

*Yeah, supposedly made to dial — the mush-mush "clicks" are telling me otherwise. I feel cheated.... 😖

So you have a totally different use case. I was thinking center-fire.

You're going to want a daylight bright illuminated 1-4 or 1-6 with a turret. That actually does exist it's just not cheap.

That will give you the dot at 1x, maybe some useful holds, and some magnification to push the range out.

You're going to want a daylight bright illuminated 1-4 or 1-6 with a turret. That actually does exist it's just not cheap.

That will give you the dot at 1x, maybe some useful holds, and some magnification to push the range out.

I like your variable magnification suggestion
, for my pigeon shots at 50y that 1moa dot started to become a little big, and the pigeon stayed really small....

Now, please don't kill me if I reiterate that the rig that this sighting device is going on is a PISTOL 😆 — and I'll need a LOT more than the customary 4" eye relief of a rifle scope.... 😉

Matthias

Your turret may need adjustment or replacement. Contact a Leupold service center to see if they can help with the clicking and resistance problem.
Or, you can replace the existing turret with a third-party one of better quality. Some companies offer turret upgrades that can offer better resistance and crisper clicks.

Mmm, that sounds like an idea worth at least trying — I guess I was thinking that I was already buying a turret upgrade with my $100-upgrade from the non-BDC model of this red dot...

Let's see if Leupold is as dignified and worthy as the golden rings they so proudly put onto many of their scopes.....

Matthias

Last edited: