• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors How to keep mirage cover from coming off 338 lapua

TexasClassIII

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2011
Dallas, TX
I recently got a TBAC 338 suppressor for my DTA SRS. In 308 the mirage cover is fine, but under the heavy recoil of 338 lapua the TAB mirage cover keeps coming off.

Putting the mirage cover on and not adding anything to make the fit tighter results in having to pull the mirage cover back every 2-3 shots.

I tried putting 2 tight zip ties as tight as I could do it by hand. It slowed down the problem, but the cover still needs to be adjusted every 6-8 shots.

Anyone have a better solution for making mirage covers stay put on heavy-recoiling magnums?

Parker

Re: How to keep mirage cover from coming off 338 lapua

Sew a loop on either side of the rear of the cover.

Tie a length of 550-cord from the loop to one of the end vent holes in the top front vent holes in the rail.

Done.

Thunderbeasts are wicked quiet and really knock down recoil.

What model SAS cover are you talking about? Your not running it backwards are you? We run the SAS3's on our rifles. The cover should pull off towards the barrel not off the muzzle with the 3.

Like Ray said, what model are you using and how are you installing it? The SAS covers do not slide forward when installed correctly.

On the DTA rifles that are using cans that are so close to the hand guard that it will not allow the recoil ridge that is built in to each cover to fit into this gap we have a fix that is similar to what Sinister has suggested but not exactly, it's quicker to install and remove than having to tie knots.

Please post some pictures here so we can see what it going on.

We try to include a business card with each order that we send out. My cell phone number is on the card. I have my cell phone with me practically 24 hours a day. A simple phone call or PM to either myself or TBAC would have had you cleared up in just a few minutes.

Definitely sounds like hes slipping it on over the muzzle, so when the gun recoils, the cover wants to stay where it was so it inches off slowly. Also asking to get burnt/shot through when installed like that.

I haven't heard anything either, maybe he got it figured out.

Sorry, haven't had time during business hours to make the call until now.

I was using the SAS3.
And in response to Ray, the 338P-1 is great. Unbelievable how much it reduces the noise/recoil, and it's by far the most accurate rifle setup I've ever shot.

Tony B. got me squared away. Great service. Definitely will be getting more TAB products in my future (I got 3 TAB rear bags a couple weeks ago and they've been a big hit...).

Thanks!

Parker