• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to make ballistic AE and hornady 4dof change to 1/4 min

pitdog85

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2017
I'm basically very technically challenged. I mostly use ballistic AE and sometimes Hornady 4dof. I'm trying to set up a profile for a new moa scope (previously used mils which worked with .1 readings) Both ballistic AE and 4dof give readings such as 20.4 moa or 30.2 moa. My scope is in 1/4min clicks is there a way to get these calculators to give reading such as 30.25 or 20.75 etc??

Also a second question that I just cannot get my head around I want to set up the "zero height" feature on the app. My rifle is zero'd at 100m with the magneto speed because I use it more often than not. I want to set up a profile for when not using the magneto speed. At 100m the magento adds exactly 0.4mil or 4cm of height compared to when the rifle was zero'd without it. So when not using it my bullet will impact 4cm low at 100m with current zero. Do I then put in the app -4cm or +4cm??? My thinking is I want the bullet to come up 4cm at 100m so I should add +4cm but technically the bullet is -4cm below current zero so maybe I should put -4cm??? Can you see my confusion can someone please help with this.

Last edited:
4dof
1 No
2 create second profile for gun and adjust zero range until the output at 100 matches what you have on paper. Under set rifle info.

4dof
1 No
2 create second profile for gun and adjust zero range until the output at 100 matches what you have on paper. Under set rifle info.

Thanks.

Does anyone who uses ballistic AE know how I go about my second question it allows you to put plus or minus in the "zero height" feature?

If I understand correctly, adding the MagnetoSpeed raises your zero 4cm?

I would zero my rifle without the MagnetoSpeed and this is what I would do on AE,
Profile 1 (without MS), 100 meter zero, 0 cm zero height
Profile 2 (with MS), 100 meter zero, 4 cm zero height.

Edit: On second thought I would have Profile 1 with a 100m zero and Profile 2 with a 180m zero (or whatever distance the zero is with the MagnetoSpeed attached).

Last edited:
1. Your output in MOA is going to be what the calculator predicts. If is says 2.4 you have to round to your closest adjustment. Just as in MILS if your firing solution is 1.37 you would round to 1.4.
2. In 4DOF it looks like you will have to use a separate profile for the MS. For the second profile you need to find out what the .4 difference equals in yards and that is your zero yardage. Do you shoot with the MS that much? Unless you are doing ELR it seems checking your muzzle velocities occasionally would accomplish the same thing.